U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:12 PM

8 posts, read 7,720 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Dallas, so I'd like to hear from someone who has lived in both cities. I recently visited Dallas and I loved it. However, I was surprised by the lack of diversity (e.g., I worked in Austin my first year of law school, so that was my picture of Texas. I now know that Austin is VERY different than the rest of Texas ). Since my visit, I've done a fair amount of research about the demographics in Dallas but googling will only get you so far. That is where you come in. Are you familiar with Uptown (e.g., that is where I will be living if I move to Dallas)? If you are familiar with the area, what do you think about the neighborhood (e.g., safety, diversity, running trails (right now, I live near the lakefront and I love it. A lake or running trails would be great))? For background, I am an African American female in my mid 30s. I grew up in Los Angeles, went to one of the most liberal law schools in the country, and came to Chicago 6 years ago. I love Chicago and plan to visit often but after a lot of back and forth, I have decided that it is time for me to move on. Right now, I am deciding between Denver, Dallas and Philly. Denver is my first choice but from what I've heard, it is the least diverse of the three cities, so it is out. My job has an office in Dallas and the salary is comparable ($3,000 a year less in Dallas), so cost of living is not a factor for me. I am mainly concerned about life in the city. For instance, are there things to do on the weekend? How safe is it for a single female (e.g., if I move to Dallas my boyfriend will probably follow in two years when he finishes residency, so I will be on my own (with a very small dog) for the time being)? How diverse is the city? Lastly, would you ever return to Dallas? If not, why?

If you know how to send direct messages, feel free to send me one. Thanks!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-27-2017 at 12:05 AM..

Old 05-27-2017, 12:11 AM

40,156 posts, read 15,119,626 times
Post moved from Chicago forum to Dallas forum.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:01 AM

2,613 posts, read 5,814,742 times
I grew up in Chicago on the north side and live near Dallas right now in the north suburbs.

There are trails and one is near Uptown that has a trail, a little creek, and park area. There are lakes in DFW but nothing like Lake Michigan and You will not find anything like Chicago's lakefront atmosphere as it has more of a coastal feel to it.
The lakes are also not near Uptown.

What is it that is having you leave Chicago?

To me, Dallas feels pretty diverse, but again, I live in the suburbs, about 25 miles North of Uptown. I would recommend looking at the statistics and seeing how diverse it is. BUT you may want to actually spend a few days in the neighborhood you are planning to move to, so you can get a feel for it. I think that is very important as while certain neighborhoods may be statistically segregated, people work and play in those neighborhoods making them more diverse than statistics could show (I'm mainly bringing this up because of Chicago)

Between the fact that you are looking at Uptown which is near a lot of city-things and the fact that DFW is huge, I'm sure you can stay occupied.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:24 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,875,838 times
What do you mean by "diverse"? If you mean general racial diversity, yes, there are several areas of DFW that are both nice and diverse. If you mean a sizable black population, there are fewer of those in nice areas of town. Much of DFW's diversity (in nice areas) comes from its large brown population.

If you mean economic diversity or religious diversity, I would say DFW leans toward being less diverse. It is generally pretty economically segregated, and since it is a "young" city in terms of its history, this leads to vast swaths that look and feel the same. Some may call this generic and vanilla, but others may call it heaven. It depends on your perspective.

While this is changing some, most of DFW is still somewhat conservative and Christian, but there are significant populations of people from other religions represented. It is still a very religious place, however. There are few truly liberal areas of town.

Uptown skews young, and it is the sort of place people move after college. I can't speak to the diversity represented there, though. It is definitely less boring than the suburbs.

I personally prefer Denver (by a long shot), but that is because of its proximity to the mountains. If that isn't a factor for you, Denver loses some appeal.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:18 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,229,349 times
I can't imagine people being disappointed by DFW's diversity after Austin, unless they were on the IT campus. Austin sort of has a stereotype as being the whitest non-Hispanic major city in the state.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:32 PM

482 posts, read 248,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj234 View Post
I am considering moving to Dallas, so I'd like to hear from someone who has lived in both cities. I recently visited Dallas and I loved it. However, I was surprised by the lack of diversity (e.g., I worked in Austin my first year of law school, so that was my picture of Texas. I now know that Austin is VERY different than the rest of Texas ). Since my visit, I've done a fair amount of research about the demographics in Dallas but googling will only get you so far. That is where you come in. Are you familiar with Uptown (e.g., that is where I will be living if I move to Dallas)? If you are familiar with the area, what do you think about the neighborhood (e.g., safety, diversity, running trails (right now, I live near the lakefront and I love it. A lake or running trails would be great))? For background, I am an African American female in my mid 30s. I grew up in Los Angeles, went to one of the most liberal law schools in the country, and came to Chicago 6 years ago. I love Chicago and plan to visit often but after a lot of back and forth, I have decided that it is time for me to move on. Right now, I am deciding between Denver, Dallas and Philly. Denver is my first choice but from what I've heard, it is the least diverse of the three cities, so it is out. My job has an office in Dallas and the salary is comparable ($3,000 a year less in Dallas), so cost of living is not a factor for me. I am mainly concerned about life in the city. For instance, are there things to do on the weekend? How safe is it for a single female (e.g., if I move to Dallas my boyfriend will probably follow in two years when he finishes residency, so I will be on my own (with a very small dog) for the time being)? How diverse is the city? Lastly, would you ever return to Dallas? If not, why?

If you know how to send direct messages, feel free to send me one. Thanks!
I think you'd be happy in Dallas, either in Uptown or a number of other neighborhoods that appeal to professionals. I love Chicago because it's an absolute urban BEAST with a breathtaking skyline, phenomenal food, really good public transportation, abundant cultural sophistication, and nice beaches right downtown -- all on a Midwestern budget! But I'm sure you're familiar with all that.

I wouldn't say that Dallas really measures up to Chicago in terms of city amenities -- I'm not sure anyplace in the country does outside of New York. But the DFW Metroplex is indeed massive as well and is preferable for many people for a number of reasons. For one I've found North Texans in general are more polite and laid back. Sure Chicagoans overall are just fine, but I think the combination of cold weather, high density, and a competitive culture makes them a lot more hard-shelled than North Texans (on the other hand, Dallasites have a somewhat well-deserved reputation for superficiality).

It seems that diversity is one of your key areas of interest. I'd say if Austin was adequately diverse for you, you won't have any problems in Dallas. Austin is not more diverse than Dallas. Dallas has a lot of everything -- white, black, Hispanic, Asian, multiracial, foreigner, etc. People often have differing definitions of diversity. If you're specifically wondering if there's a large black population in Dallas, the answer is yes. If you're specifically wondering if blacks are generally accepted without unnecessary racial tensions, the answer is yes (there's a huge black middle class here, and fwiw I'm a black male professional in your age range). Now if you want to narrow it down to specific neighborhoods, Uptown is very nice but I don't gather that many blacks live there specifically.

There's no need to worry about not being able to fill a weekend. There's always something going on in Uptown and in the adjacent downtown arts district. There are also a number of other interesting neighborhoods with their own character and set of activities: Deep Ellum, Knox-Henderson, Lake Highlands, Lakewood, North Oak Cliff and Oak Lawn are examples.

Safety overall is fine, but it's like living in the core of any big city in the sense that many really nice areas are only a stone's throw away from really rough areas. It helps to be very familiar with the city. If you don't have the luxury of learning the town better in advance of coming here, there are plenty of nice suburbs that are reasonably affordable and safer across larger areas: Addison in particular is a very popular place for young professionals.

I'd certainly "return to Dallas". In fact I haven't even left -- been here for several years and have no specific plans to leave unless the right opportunity for international relocation arises. More people are relocating to DFW right now than the area can keep up with, but they all have a place here. Come on down!

Old 05-27-2017, 02:18 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
If by diversity, you mean a strong enclave of African Americans living, shopping, dining in a specific area then no, Dallas is not diverse alike that. There are predominant AA areas but they aren't middle class and they tend to be strong in crime. Other cities, such as Atlanta, have that if that is what you seek. On the other hand, I live in a far-flung northern exurb. My son's neighbors on either side are AA families. There are a number in my particular little area. MY grandkids' elementary school is probably 30-40% "brown skins" which is what my Asian American grandkids call anyone who isn't white. Of course that includes them, the Hispanic kids, the AA kids, etc.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:45 PM

6,523 posts, read 10,194,145 times
Denver may have the smallest AA percentage of the cities the OP is considering, but ironically it's the only one with an AA mayor. I haven't lived in Chicago, but I have lived in Denver and DFW. I can say unequivocally that DFW isn't my cup of tea and I'll never move back there. Hated the climate (too hot and humid), the absolutely bland terrain (mostly flat as a pancake in every direction), and the unending sprawl (it's the size of freakin' Connecticut). If you're not the outdoor type or your outdoor activity is limited to jogging (or banal pursuits like golf and tennis) you might like DFW.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-27-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-27-2017, 07:58 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,012,390 times
Dallas is more diverse than Austin, and it's not even close. Almost all whites, regardless of income, live north of the Trinity River. With blacks the equation is a bit different. Higher income blacks live as far south as DeSoto/Cedar Hill and as far north as Little Elm and Frisco. Working class blacks are more heavily concentrated in southern Dallas, certain pockets of northeast Dallas etc.

Dallas is much "blacker" culturally speaking than any major city in Texas outside of Houston. This gets distorted because the surrounding suburbs are overwhelmingly white and Asian (especially up north). People from Atlanta, D.C., etc., can feel this when they move here. There's a perception that while there are a lot of black people, they don't really have their hands on the levers of power. This is true in some ways. Blacks that reach for power will find themselves the subject of a Dallas Observer expose or a 10pm news story by Brett Shipp. I love my hometown, but many people here aren't used to seeing upper echelon blacks treading in their spaces...in large numbers. New transplants often come from even more racially segregated parts of the country (areas of California, the upper Midwest, the Northeast) and they bring their white flight tendencies to Dallas; exacerbating the issue.

Having said all that, successful blacks in Dallas tend to get married. In LA, NYC, Chicago, Miami, DC, Philly etc., you have lots of single blacks living a free-wheeling single life and so they're more visible. The clubs, bars and overall nightlife is geared toward supporting that population. In Dallas, black people that have their act together aren't dating around into their mid-to-late 30's. Activities are geared towards families of all races and young white singles. People of color don't have as many nightspots that exclusively cater to them, especially for the working professionals. This doesn't mean you can't have fun, just know that networking will be easier if you are comfortable interacting will all sorts of people.

Last edited by jgn2013; 05-27-2017 at 08:15 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 12:02 AM

17 posts, read 11,650 times
If diversity is something you are looking for, Dallas is NOT the place to be. I am a 24 year old African-American female. I grew up in Houston and went to Undergrad in DC. This is by far the least diverse place I have ever lived and it feels worse than the demographics reflect.

You will not find many minorities in the areas of Dallas that you would likely frequent (i.e. uptown, downtown, etc.) especially the nightlife. When I moved here I was keenly aware that everywhere I went I was the only black person in sight. Dallas is a nice city, but it definitely does not rank high on diversity.

I currently live in uptown and I think you would enjoy the neighborhood (it is as close to a northern big city as you can get in Dallas) for the trails and nice apartments. HOWEVER, If I were you, I would personally go with Philly. Due to the lack of diversity and some things I have experienced, I am planning to leave Dallas as soon as I finish law school next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or