Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:07 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,636,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadieeDiamond View Post
I'm honestly tired of the driving culture and would prefer to walk or take public transport.
DFW is the wrong area of the country if you prefer walking or talking public transit. Uptown is about as close as you can get to that lifestyle.

Bishop Arts is an alternative, but I wouldn't say it's a good area for public transit. There is a streetcar to connect to DART, but there aren't even any grocery stores, and only a handful of restaurants in the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadieeDiamond View Post
My budget is $1100 but can go up to $1200.
This will limit your options. 1br apartments in Uptown are going for $1200+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Arlington looks like hell... I was actually considering it since i will be working in that area until I actually so it in person. It only took 30 seconds for me to rule out that area.
It is hell. I lived there for close to a year. I lived in a small town in Missouri with a rampant meth problem for two years. I guess this gives some sort of indication of how bad Arlington is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 05:44 PM

5,248 posts, read 6,332,247 times
Uptown is not a college scene. Richardson is closer than Plano, and downtown Plano is alright. I think both would be really close to Irving in personality though. Knox/Henderson, downtown, or Uptown would be your best bet. I also second The Village Apartment complex.

Also, CityLine crime report is here: there is almost no crime - and more on Campbell/Galatyn to the south and in Plano to the north than at CityLine in the past month.
http://www.cor.net/index.aspx?page=1550

Old 06-02-2017, 07:53 PM

482 posts, read 940,990 times
I would look at Fort Worth. Much more walkable and and city like than Dallas.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:30 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,093,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
I would look at Fort Worth. Much more walkable and and city like than Dallas.
Lol you must be trolling. Not true at all, although Downtown Fort Worth is a nice option for that. Dallas is a much more walkable, dense, and developed city than Fort Worth. There's more options to choose from in Dallas if you prefer walking or public transit.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Bishop Arts is an alternative, but I wouldn't say it's a good area for public transit. There is a streetcar to connect to DART, but there aren't even any grocery stores, and only a handful of restaurants in the neighborhood.
Ok you really don't know the Bishop Arts area. It's only one section of North Oak Cliff and seems to be a bit more touristy and easy for visitors. However, North Oak Cliff in general has a lot of restaurants especially if you go down Davis St. Down to Jefferson Blvd, grocery stores (although more so Fiesta Mart than Tom Thumb).

Last edited by DTXman34; 06-02-2017 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,636,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Ok you really don't know the Bishop Arts area. It's only one section of North Oak Cliff and seems to be a bit more touristy and easy for visitors. However, North Oak Cliff in general has a lot of restaurants especially if you go down Davis St. Down to Jefferson Blvd, grocery stores (although more so Fiesta Mart than Tom Thumb).
Isn't Bishop Arts from Davis to Jefferson? I recall seeing some good local restaurants in the area (although the options were rather limited) and some neat local shops, but I didn't get the impression that Bishop Arts is a self-contained neighborhood at all. You can't say "I need to walk down to the corner drug/grocery store" like you can in Uptown.

If you live at 9th and Bishop, you are at least 2 miles from a drug store or grocery store, so I don't think you could live there without a car.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Isn't Bishop Arts from Davis to Jefferson? I recall seeing some good local restaurants in the area (although the options were rather limited) and some neat local shops, but I didn't get the impression that Bishop Arts is a self-contained neighborhood at all. You can't say "I need to walk down to the corner drug/grocery store" like you can in Uptown.

If you live at 9th and Bishop, you are at least 2 miles from a drug store or grocery store, so I don't think you could live there without a car.
Generally speaking, it is from Davis to Jefferson. But Jefferson Blvd. has a lot of businesses, much more than just the Bishop Arts District. Keep in mind that Davis St. has many other business districts going west of Bishop Arts. Anyways, you're about a 10 min walk from that Fiesta Mart grocery off Jefferson to the heart of the Bishop Arts District. I mean look at Google Maps. Unfortunately (but somewhat positive) an older Mexican restaurant off Davis is being torn down for a CVS. That's just outside of the Bishop Arts boundary, but walking distance from the heart of it. The old El Corazon will become a CVS. Great for walkable amenities, but bad for local neighborhood flavor.

Other than North Oak Cliff, Oak Lawn is pretty good especially off of Cedar Springs. There's a Kroger and Walgreens within walking distance of each other. Lots of restaurants (although the bars & clubs are geared more towards LGBT).

Last edited by DTXman34; 06-02-2017 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-04-2017, 01:08 PM

368 posts, read 620,129 times
Try looking at apartments near Cole Park or West Village in the Uptown area. Lots of people your age, very walkable, and near the Cityplace DART station. You should be able to find a small 1 bedroom in your budget.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:42 PM

28 posts, read 36,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside15 View Post
I would say uptown but it doesn't fit your budget. If you're looking at Dallas, take a look at the Village Apts, The Village Dallas - The Village Apartments
I could be wrong, but the Village Apartments are geared more toward college kids and 20-somethings. I'm 30-something and would feel a bit on the older side in the Village. But I've never lived there. It's just the feeling I get.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:18 PM

370 posts, read 357,810 times
Although I'd have to take a hard look at the crime, what about the West End? Lots of new apartments, and it's near the forefront of the Dallas tech scene. There are several tech incubators there, as well as coworking places, and it's also the site of Dallas' smart city initiative. Admittedly, I have no idea what rent is like there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas