Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 PM

473 posts, read 1,567,948 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info or insight about the Parkdale and Claremont neighborhoods? I drove them today and I have to say they are 2 of the harder neighborhoods to read that I have looked at.

Parkdale has some charming houses at affordable prices and I know the DART Rail will be coming there soon but I could not determine if the neighborhood was on the fringe of popping or flopping. Any thoughts?

Claremont appeared to be a little more stable, but stable at what I am not exactly sure. In a way, the neighborhood reminded me a little of Lake Highlands, but considerably smaller. The problem was that I did not see any people out walking, jogging, etc. There are some high end condos and single family homes being built on the opposite side of Ferguson, but I could not tell if that will have any positive effect on Claremont.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:10 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Parkdale will probably pop...there are some artist types over among the riff-raff, but there is still considerable riif-raff. Did you see the property near the old TXU plant on the corner?...it's a huge lot. An artist lives there, but not sure who. Some agents are touting this area as the next Hollywood Heights/M Streets.

Claremont is near me. We had considered it before we bought in Casa Linda Forest, but the house we looked at was next door to a house with a heap of cars in the driveway; it's still that way 4 yrs later (it was right on Claremont a few houses in from Ferguson). And the apts were a little too close for comfort.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Interesting about Parkdale. So does that mean the wave of gentrification will skip the depressed neighborhood west of Valencia as well as those first 2 areas east of Fair Park? The majority of those homes and lots do not look as though they offer an opportunity for rehab.

Unfortunately, I missed the property you mention on the corner. Was it new construction?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 PM

93 posts, read 396,941 times
Re: Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Some agents are touting this area as the next Hollywood Heights/M Streets.
I have a friend who was saying this 12 years ago. She has bought and sold a home there in the ensuing years and it never really happened. Certainly the neighborhood has the homes for it, (I believe they may have even been built by the same developer as the M streets) but it hasn't really happened yet.

Maybe things will get better for Parkdale now that the DART station is looming.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 PM

Not sure about around the west area of Valencia - we left that area to move east...we were at Eastside at Beacon. I know a family on Cristler and Gurley; they don't have problems. Things have not improved in this area in the 10 yrs that I've been around it. It's obvious when the neighborhood changes...for some reason the curbed street stops along at Cameron along Sante Fe, I believe.

The area west of Parkdale neighborhood has way too many low rent apts, heaps of drug activity...you can still find hooker motels. There's a bar across from Lincoln High on Hatcher. Nobody cares about what goes on down here. It's sad.

And along Military Parkway near White Rock Creek is the "dry line" - alcohol on the west side; dry on the east. You see the changes as you drive down there with the seedy bars and vagrants hanging around the liquor stores. Along White Rock Creek, homeless live along the banks. It's a creepy area.

The property I liked (but not for sale) is taking Parkdale west and it makes a turn to the north, it's on the right. Parkdale ends at the old train tracks. Houses were hit and miss IMO. But this one on the corner was great!!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Yes, the barrier is at Cameron and Sante Fe. I have never understood why there has not been overflow from Valencia, but it hasn't.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 PM

If I remember correctly, the architecture changes a bit from Tudor homes to wood frames homes....some of them look like they are about to fall down. I love to speculate, maybe that has something to do with it...

Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 PM

That is true but if you look at how Vickery Place followed the M Streets, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the potential is there to fix up some of those prairie/bungalow homes. Maybe it will happen. Henderson is completely changed from even 3 years ago and Fitzhugh will not be recognizable in 5 years from how it looks today. As the gent train keeps pushing east something will happen with that little neighborhood.

I agree with what you said earlier about your friends not having problems at Cristler and Gurley. From what I have heard and seen, the area doesn't have a real bad crime problem, it is just economically depressed. I love to speculate as well.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:56 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
you can still find hooker motels.
Is that a negative or a positive amenity?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
From what I have heard and seen, the area doesn't have a real bad crime problem, it is just economically depressed.
In the 7 yrs we lived there, my car was broken into once - it was always parked in a driveway. I had a 4 Runner and would often forget to roll up the back window and leave open all night long; never had a problem.

Although just 2 weeks ago 9 cars were broken into along Eastside, Columbia just north of Beacon and into Julliete Fowler. But the opposite side of Beacon didn't get any activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas