Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 26,392 times

Advertisements

Greetings All,

I'm moving to the Dallas area in the next couple of months. I'm expecting to live on the north side of the city, commuting down near Love Field. Because of the commute and the rising price of gas, I'm looking to buy a new, fuel efficient car. My question to those knowledgable on the subject, would it be better to buy the car here in Iowa (6% sales tax) or in Texas (8% sales tax?). Simply based on the state sales tax, it is a no-brainer. But, if I'd be required to pay sales taxes in Texas as well, it would be better to wait to buy when I got there.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:24 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
we registered our of of state cars recently (they were older though)

you have to go to 3 separate places to get everything done. (DL included) VA was one stop shopping.

#1 first you have to get your car inspected (local OFFICAL station...they will have a sign)
#2 you need to register the car (and re-title if you wish) at the county tax office. (have title and insurance, AND inspection reciept)
#3 drivers license at the DMV.

The fees run about $70 for registration...except for out of state there is a 1 time fee of $95(?) and also if you choose to title in Texas it's another $35(?)

Here's the website...I can't get the fee schedule to come up...
Texas Car Registration Guide - Forms, Locations & Hours - DMV.ORG

ALL in all it was about $170 each for our cars.

Each county is a bit different so you can also go to the county website and may have an exact fee schedule for you.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 PM

132 posts, read 660,949 times
I am in a similar situation coming from VA. We have 2 vehicles, and will need to register them. So tell me if I am understanding this correctly.

1-get vehicle inspected
2-go to county tax office to aaply for registration,bring new inspection,title,and proof of insurance
3-go to DMV for DL

Comming from VA, we pay personal property taxes yearly on your vehicles, plus inspections, and registration fees to three different places.
Are there taxes paid yearly on your vehicles? What are the yearly fees paid for your vehicle? State inspection,registration renewal? Is it a higher one time fee to register an out of state vehicle, then thereafter just inspections and registration renewal? Do the fees have anything to do with the value or age of your vehicle?

Sorry for so many questions on the same topic, but I was recently in the process of a relo TN, but now looking at TX. It is a different process in VA,TN,MS,and now TX. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:20 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,304,241 times
Also, don't expect to get your driver's license unless you have either a passport...or multiple items of other identification, e.g. "certified" birth certificate, "original" Social Security card, previous state's driver's license, marriage license, voter registration card, etc., etc. If you have a passport you're in good shape because they refer to a passport as a primary form of identification, however if you must use other forms of identification (listed above), these are referred to a secondary forms of identification and you must have multiple supporting items [of identifications]. They are very strict with the identification process and they make copies of your documents and check your SS number, etc. They will also fingerprint you (actually both thumbs). There are no exceptions for solid proof of your identification.

Lastly, so you don't have to wait in line for an hour or more I suggest that you choose a TDPS (Texas Department of Public Safety) to get your driver's license that is in a small city so it won't be so busy. You can obtain your DL anywhere in the state. However, your car must pass inspection in the county where you reside (I think) and you absolutely must register your vehicle in the county in which you reside. Vehicle inspection and registering/title transfer [to TX] is no problem, but obtaining your drivers license can be a hassle with the long lines and stringent identification requirement. It's a process!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:57 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,314 times
Kooter's got that one right.... If at all possible, go to an outlying town to get your driver's license. Big cities have anything from an hour to half day or more wait to process. Unfortunately, anywhere you go has to be a weekday, normal biz hours.

Vehicle inspection will include an emissions testing. If you're buying a new vehicle, that won't be a problem. They also check lights, blinkers, wipers, tinting.... whatever it takes to justify the $45 bucks. In outlying counties they don't check emissions, only big city counties.

I don't think you have to pay additional sales taxes when moving a vehicle to Texas, just the usual registration. But don't quote me on that.

Visit the Texas portal, TexasOnline: Official Portal of Texas

If you're going to being driving from up north to Love Field you might want to use the Dallas North Tollroad. Here's a link for a prepaid window sticker, TxTag.Org::A TxTag account gives you easy access to toll roads throughout Texas.

And be sure to send off for the Texas Travel Guide, full of places to go and sights to see in Texas, TravelTex - Travel Guide

Old 08-10-2008, 08:58 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Since you're coming to DFW, use the DPS office in Southeast Denton off Loop 288. I've been there 2 or 3 times and never had to wait more than 10 minutes.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 AM

681 posts, read 2,358,979 times
WillysB, you are correct that you don't have to pay any additional sales taxes when bringing in an out-of-state vehicle to Texas. I brought in two vehicles that were registered in other states and all I had to do was this:

Quote:
A new resident's vehicle requirements must be done in sequence. First you must obtain Insurance meeting the requirements of the State of Texas. Then you need to have an Inspection performed in the County in which the vehicle is to be registered. Thirdly, you need to Register the vehicle with the County Tax Assessor. And finally, apply for a State of Texas Driver's License. Proof of insurance is required by all state and local entities.
Source: Collin County Tax Assessor and Collector: Vehicle Registration

Don't even think about going to the tax office for state registration first. If your car isn't first inspected by the state, they WILL NOT register it. Nada.

I registered in Collin County up in McKinney, and even though all three steps are in different locations, the locations were very close to each other. Like about a mile or so from each other. I got all three done within 2.5 hours on a weekday. I'm sure timing is everything since I didn't go near the beginning or end of the month when the locals are trying to update their inspections and registration.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:18 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,625 times
Be sure to bring your social security card with you, when we went last fall, they wouldn't let you past the initial check/pick up your waiting number point unless you had your ss card.

Also, I don't remember having to show that I have auto insurance on the cars I registered, do I remember wrong or do you have to show proof of insurance? I see no one has mentioned it.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:01 PM

132 posts, read 660,949 times
Quote:
Vehicle inspection will include an emissions testing. If you're buying a new vehicle, that won't be a problem. They also check lights, blinkers, wipers, tinting.... whatever it takes to justify the $45 bucks. In outlying counties they don't check emissions, only big city counties.
Are the State inspections yearly, or a one time thing? $45!! Ours went from $10 to $15 and everybody had a fit!

Also, are your reg. fees based on the vehicles value, or just a flat fee? Does the first time reg. fee include a state to state transfer fee which is larger than your regular renewal?

Nobody has answered the Personal Property Tax Question. Are there annual taxes paid on the value of the vehicle?

Thank you all for your responces!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:09 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,304,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Be sure to bring your social security card with you, when we went last fall, they wouldn't let you past the initial check/pick up your waiting number point unless you had your ss card.

Also, I don't remember having to show that I have auto insurance on the cars I registered, do I remember wrong or do you have to show proof of insurance? I see no one has mentioned it.
Yes, you do have to show proof of insurance coverage [in the state of Texas] for your vehicle(s) when registering the vehicle(s) at the tax assessor's office. I seem to recall that proof of insurance also had to be shown before inspection, but I'm not sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: