Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,858,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Have you checked the number of non-stop flights from LA to Japan? And the duration compared to dfw? (from LA it is long, from DFW it is borderline unbearable)
Newark to Hong Kong nonstop with United is the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,858,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigly View Post
LA to Sydney is worse and I hated Newark to Hong Kong.
Hideous. Bring Lunesta....
Dallas to Sydney must be worse

Old 06-28-2017, 06:05 PM

9 posts, read 15,378 times
Looks like recent immigration reform rumours making people to panic and effecting housing market. That may be reason for slowdown i guess.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 PM

28,577 posts, read 18,614,411 times
I don't really understand the report.

Lawton, OK--where I went to high school and where my parents retired--was rated near the top, but the Lawton economy has been stagnant for a couple of decades. The main movement in the housing market is the repple-depple cause by Ft Sill army post, which naturally moves lots of soldiers in and out every year.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:41 PM

450 posts, read 552,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
I sold and cashed out, its gonna correct if they dont do something about the taxes.
Funniest comment in the whole thread.

Go time the next big market crash while you are at it Cash Money Millionaire.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:53 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,340,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
All of these fortune 500 companies moving to dallas because of attractive prices.

Do they not realize that them moving here is actually driving up the price to where they just came from?
You are over simplifying the reason they move here. Its about more than prices. Why would you think they don't understand this simple idea that their move impacts the local market. You aren't giving them enough credit or prefer things overly simplified for other reasons.

A Fortune 50 company who moved here, as NYC the long commutes resulted in a 7 hour work day for the lower level staff members. Over regulation made doing business in the city a massive hassle and the NE attitudes toward a manufacturing company were down right hostile.

Are prices a factor, of course they are but hardly the only one

Old 06-29-2017, 02:14 PM

158 posts, read 179,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Go time the next big market crash while you are at it Cash Money Millionaire.
Reading too much zerohedge can do that to people. No offence OP, speaking from personal experience

Old 06-29-2017, 04:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,093,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
You are over simplifying the reason they move here. Its about more than prices. Why would you think they don't understand this simple idea that their move impacts the local market. You aren't giving them enough credit or prefer things overly simplified for other reasons.

A Fortune 50 company who moved here, as NYC the long commutes resulted in a 7 hour work day for the lower level staff members. Over regulation made doing business in the city a massive hassle and the NE attitudes toward a manufacturing company were down right hostile.

Are prices a factor, of course they are but hardly the only one

Sadly, I see some of this hostility towards manufacturing and production starting to creep in here as well. Maybe it is a function of the relocations or the general media fixation on "tech", but companies and professions involved in actually producing goods are consistently looked down upon.

People will drive down a new highway talking on a cell phone while heading to their brand new home and then deride the cement plant that produced the infrastructure materials, the drilling and refining activity that produces fuel for their SUV, the power plant that produces power to plug in their phone, and the manufacturing facilities making the drywall and insulation for their home. Not everyone can be employed solely managing data. We still need the capacity to produce goods and utilities.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 4,611 times
Texas has "benefited" from the pro-business attitude, especially under Gov. Perry.

* The tax incentives used to lure major corporations to the state simply shift the burden to individuals (sales tax, property taxes).
* Real estate economists will tell you that for every 1.5 net new jobs (real wage jobs) you need another housing unit (apartment, condo, single-family dwelling). Until housing developers keep up with demand, there will be upward pressure on prices.
* As housing supply increases, there is an increased demand for government services...police, fire, schools, etc. In other words, more taxes. In theory, this should be covered by the new property...but the effect is disproportionate, especially for older residents.
* Roads are another matter as the Metroplex sprawls (i.e. Frisco/Prosper/McKinney), congestion increases, commutes suffer, and more toll roads/lanes are proposed.

Unless/until we see a significant slowdown in the economy, this isn't going to get "better"

Old 07-04-2017, 08:05 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,340,656 times
I reject the idea that new jobs like Toyota do not help the metro. If you ever lived in a dying no growth metro you could see it too if you opened mind and eyes.

Job adds increase revenue thru property and sales taxes of the individuals alone that pay for the incremental cost of services provided to Toyota and it's employees when they are here. Tax abatement for relocating companies is not permanent either. Only an inefficient bloated gov would need more tax revenues to pay for the demands of new jobs and residents.

I have heard this false claim from the liberal no growth crowd and disagree with it.

These Toyota jobs are paid for by money from country wide car sales. This new money in our economy creates multiples of jobs by businesses supplying services to Toyota in my example an their employees. Those who don't like this or don't believe it have options, they can move to dying job states with no growth to satisfy there status quo desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas