U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 AM

1,034 posts, read 554,831 times

Advertisements

My dad called me up last night and told me that he and my mom would like to our sons who are 6 and 10 somewhere for a night as a treat. The issue is that my parents aren't very mobile. My mom needs handicapped hotel rooms (she uses a rollerator or store scooters) and my dad isn't able to walk far. They had suggested the Gaylord but they wouldn't be able to safely watch the kids at the water park. Do y'all have any ideas? My parents live in Richardson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:39 AM

269 posts, read 423,302 times
If the Gaylord won't work, then I don't think any other hotel would either as the Gaylord is probably the biggest and best hotel that has things for kids to entertain themselves. I checked up on their rules and kids under 16 need to be accompanied by an adult who would be responsible for their safety, so in your case, unfortunately Gaylord is out.

How about they take them out to someplace like Chuck-E-Cheese, let them have fun there, feed them pizzas and back home for the night? I know most Chuck-E-Cheese's are handicap friendly.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:17 PM

29,945 posts, read 34,553,963 times
Maybe Lone Wolf lodge beside the Gaylord? It is expensive.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 PM

861 posts, read 561,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Maybe Lone Wolf lodge beside the Gaylord? It is expensive.
I assume you mean Great Wolf. If your kids are good swimmers this is a very good option. It's relatively compact but the kids can wear themselves out over and over again on the water slides and in wave pool.

We usually do a family overnight there once a year and it's fun, but yes, relatively expensive.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:00 PM

I'm not concerned about cost. My kids are excellent swimmers but I own a pool and am very careful about swimming safety. It takes very little time for a child to drown and drowning is often silent. I don't solely rely on lifeguards to watch my kids at public pools or public waterparks. I don't feel comfortable with my parents watching them at a water park because they have limited mobility. My kids routinely stay overnight with my parents and do things like go to the library, the local park's playground, the movies, etc. I don't feel though that my parents have the physical ability to watch them at a water park which is why I was looking for an alternative to Great Wolf and Gaylord which primarily tout their waterparks.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I'm not concerned about cost. My kids are excellent swimmers but I own a pool and am very careful about swimming safety. It takes very little time for a child to drown and drowning is often silent. I don't solely rely on lifeguards to watch my kids at public pools or public waterparks. I don't feel comfortable with my parents watching them at a water park because they have limited mobility. My kids routinely stay overnight with my parents and do things like go to the library, the local park's playground, the movies, etc. I don't feel though that my parents have the physical ability to watch them at a water park which is why I was looking for an alternative to Great Wolf and Gaylord which primarily tout their waterparks.
Didn't even realize Gaylord had a water park. We have only been for the Christmas village thing.

You could look into overnight stays at either Fossil Rim or Dallas Zoo. They are cabin/tent-like structures but they are air conditioned. Not sure about whether they are mobility friendly or not. Fossil Rim might be better as it would involve less walking.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Didn't even realize Gaylord had a water park. We have only been for the Christmas village thing.

You could look into overnight stays at either Fossil Rim or Dallas Zoo. They are cabin/tent-like structures but they are air conditioned. Not sure about whether they are mobility friendly or not. Fossil Rim might be better as it would involve less walking.
Totally missed your line in the OP about Gaylord having water park. I assumed you were talking about that little stream thing that runs through main open area and just worried that kids would jump in or something (my kids are crazy enough to try it, if they know the person watching them can't run in after them).

Old 06-22-2017, 02:11 PM

52 posts, read 46,703 times
The Perot has some fun sleepovers. The next one is July 21.

https://www.perotmuseum.org/events-a...tem-2017-07-21

Old 06-22-2017, 07:03 PM

The Gaylord now has a 10 acre pool/lazy river/splash pad/water slide complex called Paradise Spring.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM

5,080 posts, read 3,781,042 times
This is not what you asked about, but along the same lines for future exerpiences. Some things to look at for gkid/gparent fun. Sky Ranch in Van, Tx has special getaway weekends off camp season. RoadScholar has specific gparent/gkid trips. https://www.roadscholar.org/collecti...rgenerational/

My gkid has been going to Sky Ranch (its actually our Christmas present each year) for 4 years now since age 8. And my son also went as a kid. Its not far from the metromess so really a nice option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas