Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:40 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,070 times

Advertisements

WOW, I'm really happy that you all know a lot about my country... It's kinda cool I heard that about one million of Texans have their ancestries right in Czech republic... Thats why I'm interested in Texas (wanna move there after I'll finish gymnasium :-)). Texas is a fabulous country be proud of it. I met a few Texans in my life... Very nice people :-) Have a good time :-) Near Austin there is a little village (just few houses) it's called Matička Praha (Mother Prague)... There is a lot of Czechs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
WOW, I'm really happy that you all know a lot about my country... It's kinda cool I heard that about one million of Texans have their ancestries right in Czech republic... Thats why I'm interested in Texas (wanna move there after I'll finish gymnasium :-)). Texas is a fabulous country be proud of it. I met a few Texans in my life... Very nice people :-) Have a good time :-) Near Austin there is a little village (just few houses) it's called Matička Praha (Mother Prague)... There is a lot of Czechs...
My sisters husband is of Czech decent, his parents were born there but he has never been (but I have and I'm not even Czech). There are whole areas of Texas that are heavily influenced by Czech settlers. You will HAVE to go to West, Texas (it is a town on I-35 just north of Waco) for WestFest. The Czech Stop is on EVERYONE's MUST stop places in West for Kolaches (had some last week). Central Texas and South Texas are where you will find most towns that have people that settled from Czechoslovakia.

I LOVED Prague and the countryside of Czechoslovakia that I got to see back then (mid 1980's). I SOOOOO want to take my husband and my kids there someday. Warsaw was my other favorite. Moscow is nice but the others top it, imo.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:07 PM

383 posts, read 1,590,070 times
momof2dfw: Wow, 80's in Czech was a very bad 'era' in Czechoslovakia... Everything was grey because of communist architecture. They started to build a lot of panelaks (try google it) and Czech republic looked like crap. Fortunately times have changed and there is just a few of grey panelaks in Czech republic

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
momof2dfw: Wow, 80's in Czech was a very bad 'era' in Czechoslovakia... Everything was grey because of communist architecture.
Yes. While it was "grey" I'm one of those that LOVES architecture and was so enthralled by the old architecture that it was just beautiful to me. The Communist aspect of it was there but I overlooked it because I had this GREAT opportunity to travel to Eastern Europe and see places most Americans never get to. To this day I still remember the little elderly couple that came up to me and another girl on the trip in front of St. John's in Warsaw and just grabbed our hands and starting saying, "Thank you" over and over and you could see the tears welling up in their eyes. It was one of those lifetime moments that just grabs you in the heart. The people and the architecture made the whole Communist part disappear into the background. Oh, and it was in November so it really WAS grey. And cold.

I saw a special on tv recently featuring Prague and the castle. It showed how the people were all celebrating the return of it to "the people". This girl that looked to be in her 20's was interviewing her father about his life growing up in a Communist State. VERY interesting.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Mid-Century Modern, baby!

I think there is an original facade being hidden by the 50s update, anyone remember?

Anyhow, the Statler/Hilton Grand, another 50s gem, ought to be restored - it's on the 'green' of the new park between the Mercantile and Old City Hall.
I think the 50's update for the ground level retail is pretty bad. Anyone know if there's interest in restoring the original facade? It has to look better than the current one,l which sticks out like a sore thumb.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
MJay I also have visited and loved Prague. Once was during our American Thanksgiving holiday, and we found a restaurant owned by a Dallasite serving Turkey and showing the Cowboy game. The architecture there is like no other place I have visited. My camera certainly gets a workout there. Great music everywhere also.. and I like all the glass, crystal and other items. I am still kicking myself about a few things I didn't buy last time.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
My husband's kids grandmother's side of the family are Czech. When his ex-wife's granddad was still alive he'd tell them stories about his homeland. My hubby remembers when Mamaw, who is still alive, made homemade kolaches in her kitchen.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM

41 posts, read 188,697 times
I get to see this building every day, as I work at Thanksgiving Tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: