Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,644,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Ok. So what if he is bored. Why is that a problem? I consider Dallas a huge upgrade over San Diego and I grew up in SoCal. You don't and that is OK too. Why do people feel the need to use their criteria on where someone should live instead of just saying their reasons why they like and don't like some place and move on? You don't need to answer that. If OP wants to move to Dallas because he's bored so what. Certainly his choice and certainly his right.
Well, considering he's uprooting his family, especially his kids. Should he not consider their feelings as well? I mean just because he's bored doesn't mean his kids are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 12:40 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,024,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Well, considering he's uprooting his family, especially his kids. Should he not consider their feelings as well? I mean just because he's bored doesn't mean his kids are.
OP's kids are toddlers; I doubt they are old enough to have much of an opinion.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,024,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
Many of these same things could be said of Texas -- but turn the dial 180 degrees.
1) Texas is extremely rightist -- TX is one of only eight states that allow students to carry guns into campus buildings.
2) This summer, the state legislature is trying to pass a "bathroom" hill (think North Carolina, only TX is more serious about passing it).
3) Many things about the state are broken -- like the concept of government representing people. E.g., residents of Denton county in a referendum voted to ban fracking, and Governor Abbott passed a state law nullifying this local decision. Which raises all types of thorny questions about local municipalities having even a modicum of local control.

So it cuts both ways -- let's just say extremism and intolerance are always unacceptable. We got to do better.

Except hasn't Texas generally (apart from the big cities) always been "conservative"? And it still leans that way, correct?

Whereas California USED to be conservative--this is the state that gave us Nixon and Reagan. And now it is not. Families who have lived there for generations no longer feel comfortable or at home.

Furthermore, extreme leftists and extreme right are not the same. The left is acting in such a hostile and even violent manner right now that I think even many Democrats are uncomfortable with where their party has gone.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,644,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
OP's kids are toddlers; I doubt they are old enough to have much of an opinion.
Well, they could be very passionate about surfing and keeping a vegan lifestyle and San Diego is just plain better for that.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:47 PM

537 posts, read 594,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I don't know about that. My husband is agnostic and last week the wife of one of his business colleagues sent him a pamphlet about Jesus and hell along with a card saying that she's praying for him and that if he would like to discuss God and Jesus with her that here's her phone number. He's never met the woman. Last spring he attended a father/child campout through the local YMCA. While the kids were asleep the dads hung around the campout. For some reason the dad who was in charge of the group asked my husband about his views on evolution. My husband who knows quite a lot about science told him that evolution was true and why. The guy then proceeded to verbally harass my husband while the other fathers stayed silent. Some of the dads later told my husband that the guy was out of line but that was too late. They should have backed my husband up earlier.
That's really sad. There seems to be a segment of Christians who have become so dogmatic that they've lost sight of the true teachings of the Bible, and unfortunately a lot of them are evangelicals who reside in Texas. Sorry your husband had to deal with that, but the majority of Christians in DFW are not like that.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:57 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,101,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
That's really sad. There seems to be a segment of Christians who have become so dogmatic that they've lost sight of the true teachings of the Bible, and unfortunately a lot of them are evangelicals who reside in Texas. Sorry your husband had to deal with that, but the majority of Christians in DFW are not like that.
This is a major concern at the state government level. We have a Lt. Governor who believes all of the answers to our problems can be found in the Bible. It's not an exaggeration either. He has openly stated that.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:51 PM

385 posts, read 321,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Fact check:
1). 10 states allow low restriction carry on campus - not eight. Several more states (23?) allow campus carry under certain circumstances, university approval and storage in cars. Campus carry is outright banned in 17 states and that number is falling every year.

2). Liberal states tend to impose more state control over localities than places like Texas. In great part the effort to ban fracking bans was needed as in many towns 1 or 2 people run the show. Couple that with the outright serial lying by a couple of anti-oil people around Denton - one guy who ran an anti-oil outfit said in public over and over that Texas had less than 25,000 oil and gas jobs - he was silly enough to put in i writing as well, Dallas' non-ban-ban and several other oddball issues and you get what happened.

Finally, my wife and I have a place in SF and are there good bit. CA is a place where, right now, state DEMOCRATIC leaders are receiving DEATH THREATS from irrational left wingers because a socialized medicine bill was dropped. It's just not reasonable to compare Texas' combination of libertarianism and conservatism with CA's rapidly expanding left wing irrationality.

Dan Patrick really is a nut and he's scary. Leland Yee is in prison because as an avowed anti-gun CA politician
he was trying to sell weapons to Muslim terror groups in the Philippines..........
1) So there are 10 (not 8) states that allow students to carry guns on campus (with restrictions). Thanks for the correction, the more states that allow it, the worse the situation, IMO. There is no evidence that students carrying guns make other students and faculty more safe. I'm not willing to debate this with you b/c gun debates are fruitless. A personal friend, tenured UT professor, just retired, and he is glad, b/c he didn't want weapons in his classroom. I've taught at universities in the past and feel the same way.

2) In the case of Denton county, majority of the population clearly voted in the referendum to ban fracking. It wasn't 1-2 people running the show. Serial lying has been done by the oil and gas industry for decades (at least going back to the 1970s where Exxon scientists suppressed climate change info). I won't debate climate with you either. I do know something of the industry, since my father worked for 35 years for Gulf, and I worked summers (during college) for Gulf. Disinformation is used by both sides, unfortunately.

3) There are problems in both TX and CA. You think the problems are worse in CA, that is your opinion. Lt. Governor Patrick's views are concerning, and so is an Attorney General (Ken Paxton) who is under federal indictment for securities fraud. And before that, former Governor Perry was being investigated.

On single payer in CA, I think this is a good summary of some of the issues: https://theintercept.com/2017/06/30/...-time-to-stop/

Plenty of irrationality on the right as well (e.g., bathroom bill is case in point). I am saddened to hear of any death threats against anybody. You are welcome to the last word, but I'm done. Thanks for the discussion.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:07 PM

385 posts, read 321,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Except hasn't Texas generally (apart from the big cities) always been "conservative"? And it still leans that way, correct?

Whereas California USED to be conservative--this is the state that gave us Nixon and Reagan. And now it is not. Families who have lived there for generations no longer feel comfortable or at home.

Furthermore, extreme leftists and extreme right are not the same. The left is acting in such a hostile and even violent manner right now that I think even many Democrats are uncomfortable with where their party has gone.
Conservative and liberal are fairy fluid terms, almost useless IMO. In so far as the Bible belt runs through the south, one may say TX was and is conservative. But it has swung far right under the Republicans, so there is not a continuity with its political past.

When Karl Rowe arrived in Texas in the late 1970s, politics had been dominated by the Democrats for over 100 years: Texas - How Texas Became A 'red' State | Karl Rove -- The Architect | FRONTLINE | PBS

Texas is the state that was gave us LBJ, and it was once governed by Ann Richards, a Democratic governor. Cecile Richards, the President of Planned Parenthood, is Ann Richards' daughter. With the possible exception of (parts of) Austin, the big cities (Houston, DFW, San Antonio) line up like the rest of the state.

"Extreme leftists and extreme right are not the same." I agree -- who said they were? Not sure what to make of the rest of your comment on the Democratic party. What Democratic left are you talking about? The Bernie Sanders and Keith Ellison faction? They've been marginalized. (BTW, I'm not a democrat).

"violent manner" -- In the Republican governor's race, Greg Gianforte physically assaulting a reporter.
"hostile" -- the Republican gerry mandering and voter suppression in TX have been reviewed by federal judges and declared unconstitutional. (Yes, both parties have gerry mandered in the past, but the redrawing of districts at the last census by the Republicans have taken it to an unprecedented, unconstitutional level).

Regardless, I would condemn all violence and hostility by either side. Such acts are shameful, whether from democrat, republican, or independent.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:04 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,101,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
"violent manner" -- In the Republican governor's race, Greg Gianforte physically assaulting a reporter.
"hostile" -- the Republican gerry mandering and voter suppression in TX have been reviewed by federal judges and declared unconstitutional. (Yes, both parties have gerry mandered in the past, but the redrawing of districts at the last census by the Republicans have taken it to an unprecedented, unconstitutional level).
Don't forget that Gov. Abbott joked about shooting reporters the day after the Gianforte assault.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:21 PM

84 posts, read 146,019 times
To OP, it sounds like you're looking for a large metro area, so I'll spare you more rural recommendations

I have 3 recommendations

North Florida( Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Pensacola) - Jax would be my primary recommendation for you. Great weather, not too humid, nice breeze, St Johns county schools are the best in the state. Jacksonville is a great city and the only large city in Florida that Trump won. All of these cities are not far from the beach and have plenty of outdoor activities, as well as short drives to Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc.

Houston - The most conservative of the large Texas cities. Austin is California and DFW is slowly becoming California. World class in terms of entertainment, shopping, dining, healthcare, museums, etc. Humidity is off the charts but if you live in North Houston (Spring, The woodlands area) you'll find conservative families and great schools.

Atlanta - When I say Atlanta, I'm strictly speaking of the suburbs. Atlanta as a whole is liberal but many people from southern cities come there to find work and you'll find many conservative values in the suburbs, particularly the south suburbs such as Peachtree city and Newnan. Many of the northern burbs are full of rich people trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Bonus - If you're looking for a quiet town with beautiful mountain landscape and mild weather, look into Prescott Arizona. Reminds me of Palo Alto, California without the liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas