Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:51 PM

964 posts, read 872,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
There are some emotions going on that is for sure. DFW isn't the same place.

I came to DFW at age 24 and on a modest income was able to build a new house in Frisco. No way I could afford my first house if I was 24 now. Heck even now years later with my career in a much better place I would be questioning if I could afford it.

And it looks like its only going to get worse.
I have said this to you before. So your solution was to leave an area like Frisco where you could get a nice house for $400,000 with about $9000 in taxes to a place where the same house in a similar type city runs you $1.5M where your property taxes are more than $9000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM

19,580 posts, read 17,866,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
I have said this to you before. So your solution was to leave an area like Frisco where you could get a nice house for $400,000 with about $9000 in taxes to a place where the same house in a similar type city runs you $1.5M where your property taxes are more than $9000?
Listen, I can't tell you how many people fudge the math in order to feel good about emotional conclusions.

I hope that guy is happy, I really do, but his financial logic is putrid and he's one of legion.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:40 PM

455 posts, read 576,123 times
I sold my home in Frisco for 400k, got a similar home like it in a Seattle suburb for about 750k. Luckily I did earn a bit of equity over the last 12 years to put a nice chunk down.

Mortgage payment did go up vs Texas, but with the increase in pay I am actually ahead more a month which is nice.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:48 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,032,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
I sold my home in Frisco for 400k, got a similar home like it in a Seattle suburb for about 750k. Luckily I did earn a bit of equity over the last 12 years to put a nice chunk down.

Mortgage payment did go up vs Texas, but with the increase in pay I am actually ahead more a month which is nice.
I'm trying to understand. You have said repeatedly "if we were going to be broke in TX, we may as well be broke where there are mountains and ocean" or words to that effect.

But you aren't broke in Seattle. In fact you own a more expensive house and earn a higher salary. So you moved for economic opportunity.

And economic opportunity is why people are moving to DFW. But somehow that has ruined DFW? So it's OK for you to move somewhere else and contribute to overcrowding and higher prices, but it isn't OK for someone else to do the same?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 PM

455 posts, read 576,123 times
The point I am trying to make is that DFW went from a place that had an amazing cost of living to getting expensive. I wasn't really going broke, but I could feel the cost of living going up in my wallet.

Why pay a premium to live in a hot flat place, when I could live on the coast and really enjoy outdoor activities and wonderful scenery. The point of living in Dallas went away for me went away.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:52 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,261,808 times
To each their own. I'd be miserable in Seattle's climate and remote location.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,863,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
To each their own. I'd be miserable in Seattle's climate and remote location.
I agree with climate but remote?
Dallas is remote. There is no attraction that worth my drive for day trip. Houston, Austin and San Antonio are only 3 large cities nearby worth visiting.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:17 PM

517 posts, read 1,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dental257 View Post
My daughter and her hubby are running off w/their kids, three under 7 y/o. I can't support their move vocally for obvious reasons. But i fear they are in for some nasty surprises. No mountains, hiking in National forests/state parks, no ocean nearby, no family support. We all have lived here forever. on Whidbey Island. 90 miles NE of Seattle.
Of course, i don't want them to leave, and i'm hoping that they will realize that Dallas is a move based on financial reasons and that moving back to the Seattle area will be a Quality of Life decision once they have experienced the life.
What can they expect? Besides more sunshine?
Dallas is a huge hot metropolis.

There is one interchange there that has more concrete in it than in the entirety of Shelby County.

I recall one morning at a hotel near the Texas State Fair, I was watching the huge sewer of traffic flow slowly down the interstate bringing people from some place they really didn't want to
live to a job they really didn't want to do and thinking, "Sure is great to live in Deep East Texas"

Then I moved to Fargo, and found out life was even better than that, and I just got back from Southern
Oregon and now I know it can be better still.

Wish them well. Stay put. They will visit every summer, and return when they can.

Cheers
Qazulight (They might be born again, but going through hell will do that.)

Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,226,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
I recall one morning at a hotel near the Texas State Fair, I was watching the huge sewer of traffic flow slowly down the interstate bringing people from some place they really didn't want to
live to a job they really didn't want to do and thinking, "Sure is great to live in Deep East Texas"
When was Dallas moved to Deep East Texas? Did I miss it? Must have been quite a project.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,226,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
A lot of people think that the distant exurbs like Frisco ARE Dallas, but they aren't. Then they compare living in Frisco to living in close-in Seattle or Boston. Inappropriate comparison. I'm sure Seattle has exurbs, where everything is the same mile after mile, punctuated only by strip centers. I know I saw plenty of this in the Bay Area, but everyone thinks of Telegraph Hill when they think of the Bay Area, not the hundreds of miles of semi-desert with nothing but McMansions and strip centers.\

Anyway, Seattle's fad is past now. It was hip when flannel shirts were in, but it's not any more. Time to move on to the next fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas