Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,034 times

Advertisements

Does anyone see a relationship between human behavior and climate? Perhaps grey, overcast weather influences people to be introverted and unsociable? Does bright, sunny weather make people extroverted and affable, at least on the surface?

Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Does anyone see a relationship between human behavior and climate? Perhaps grey, overcast weather influences people to be introverted and unsociable? Does bright, sunny weather make people extroverted and affable, at least on the surface?
I'd like to know that too. Does oppressive heat and humidity bring out the evil in people to commit murder, rape, aggrevated assault and so on?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 AM

493 posts, read 636,521 times
I think in reality, you need to weigh the cost of living...the amount you would put in for a mortgage or rent...if mortgage...how much the tax write-off would be coupled with the salaries for comparable work in both cities...I'm sure both Dallas and Seattle have their strong points...yes I am biased towards Dallas...actually Fort Worth is slightly cooler...but Seattle no-doubt has a beautiful aspects that even we hubristic Texans can't deny

Old 03-14-2008, 11:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,758,591 times
>> but Seattle no-doubt has a beautiful aspects that even we hubristic Texans can't deny <<

I agree. Both are good places and there are worse places one could go.

About the climate, there's something called SAD - Seasonal Affect Disorder, that some people are prone to in the winter time, when the days are shorter. I hear it's harder on those living in areas w/gloomier weather.

Seasonal affective disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM

Is that just Seattle or is that the entire northern part of the country...I have some relatives that moved to my hometown from New York...previously they lived in Hawaii and before that Minnesota...I visited Minnesota when I was 8 during the summer and have been longing to go back...they said though that in the summer time there isn't much difference between the lengths that the sun is out than in Texas...so I assume winter isn't any different illumination wise...weather wise obviously there is a difference...Seattle is farther up I think latitude wise...I remember in London visiting in late November...and the sun went down at 4pm...I know it affects people in Scandinavia and Alaska...I dunno about Seattle...I thought there were respiratory problems the residents could experience in Seattle...something about the weather and/or pollution...but maybe I am mistaken

Old 03-14-2008, 12:45 PM

32 posts, read 136,052 times
another question...what about the job markets? everyone is keyed into the weather and housing and all that, but as a recent college graduate, what i really need...is a JOB! My degree is in International Relations, and though i don't completely know how i will use it, I would like to find a career with an International business or corporation. Is $40-50k a year to start reasonable with companies in Dallas or Seattle? As a single guy, i think that should be okay to start.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:00 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,651 times
I think both are pretty strong as far as job markets. Both have large tech sectors, with Seattle probably slightly edging Dallas out in that category. I think with all of the outsourcing going on, someone with an international relations background would be able to find work with a major tech company. Hope you don't mind traveling to India/Pakistan/Philipines!

Old 03-14-2008, 01:05 PM

damn, that's what my field is...with a minor in history...damn you Seattle damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kid..........

Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM

32 posts, read 136,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
damn, that's what my field is...with a minor in history...damn you Seattle damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kid..........
what are you doing with your degree? are you happy with it? I'm just starting out, well, actually i haven't started yet mainly cuz i don't know what i'm gonna do with it!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:17 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I think the weather in Seattle may definitely have something to do with residents being unsocial (as so many claim we are). It may adversely affect more people than are willing to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas