Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,215 times

Advertisements

There's a story about Bill Gates dying and going to his judgment. Because of his stature on Earth, he is allowed to choose between Heaven and Hell. When he checks out Heaven, he sees a lot of people dressed in white playing harps, praying all day, or serving the poor. Not too exciting. When he checks out Hell, it looks and feels like a perfect day in Seattle. The mountains are crisp, the people are friendly and happy, there are a thousand interesting things going on in every block of the city.

So he chooses Hell.

Six months later, St Peter goes down to check on him. Gates is chained to the wall of a red-hot cave and is being tortured by devils. "Hey, this is not what I was led to believe", he wails. St Peter says... "oh yeah... that was just the screen-saver".

Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Based on the internet forums that allow transplants to Seattle to vent, and the comments people make on them, the city has a generic problem in accommodating immigrants. Immigrants into Dallas do not vent the same level of hostility, nor do they do it in other cities.

Since the point in question is basically... what's it like to move to Seattle... a potential resident should listen carefully to those who have already done so... and experienced problems that enraged them.
If you actually took the time to look at the internet forums you mentioned would notice that one doesn't even exist anymore and another has had about a half dozen postings since last summer.

Most of the internet forums you seem to believe word for word were started right after the dot com bust earlier this decade. That should tell you something...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
How can a city affect your level of engagement...maybe those people are just angry to begin with...where are you from...anyways...if anyone wants to put Seattle pics up, I'd like to see them...that shot with the minicooper was quite beautiful...got a sf vibe to it
Here are a few links to pictures of Seattle for you, hope you enjoy them!

Seattle 2007 In Pictures

I love living in Seattle. Stop in and see why.

Seattle and its suburbs

Yesterday Was Glorious In Seattle

The Great City of Seattle Washington

Seattle pictures in the rainy season?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
If you actually took the time to look at the internet forums you mentioned would notice that one doesn't even exist anymore and another has had about a half dozen postings since last summer.

Most of the internet forums you seem to believe word for word were started right after the dot com bust earlier this decade. That should tell you something...
One good explanation for the material you mention is that since the dot-com bust, people have not been moving to seattle, not in any appreciable number. The dot-com boom would be responsible for enticing many to the city, but after the bust, the merits of the city aren't enough to attract people. The seattle sucks websites have succeeded in warning off the pool of potential migrants. I seriously doubt that Seattle is a different society or culture over the space of a year.

Actually, the latest post in Seattle.schmeng is Nov 11, 2007. The half dozen postings since last summer are pretty eloquent about Seattle's shortcomings, don't you think?

The specific grievances that people have documented have nothing to do with the dot-com bust.

BTW, thanks for the pictures. They may make good screen savers for some. Gates should be impressed.

Last edited by aceplace; 03-15-2008 at 10:47 AM..

Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
One good explanation for the material you mention is that since the dot-com bust, people have not been moving to seattle, not in any appreciable number. The seattle sucks websites have succeeded in warning off the pool of potential migrants. I seriously doubt that Seattle is a different society or culture over the space of a year.

Actually, the latest post in Seattle.schmeng is Nov 11, 2007. The half dozen postings since last summer are pretty eloquent about Seattle's shortcomings, don't you think?

The specific grievances that people have documented have nothing to do with the dot-com bust.

BTW, thanks for the pictures. They may make good screen savers for some. Gates should be impressed.
No, I don't think, I don't tend to listen too much to a few disgruntled people, and I think you are making entirely too much out of a few websites. I hardly think that you can get a good understanding of they way the majority of the citizens of Seattle feel by a few postings on the internet.

BTW, Seattle is cited by the U.S. Census Bureau as the 4th fastest growing major metro area in the country. Austin, Texas, is the first Cape Coral-Ft. Meyers, FL is the second, Atlanta, third and Seattle 4th. Then come Orlando, Houston and San Jose, Calif.

It almost seems as if you have some sort of personal vendetta against Seattle.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,742 times
Closed for now. Let's take a break and we'll get back to this one in a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas