Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 9,840 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move from Los Angeles (Pasadena) to the Dallas area within a year or so. We are planning a trip in August to make sure that we know what we are getting ourselves into/can handle summer weather, as well as to look at potential neighborhoods. That being said, what are some suggested neighborhoods to visit on our trip? We are thinking of taking 2 days to knock out seeing several towns/neighborhoods.

Info to consider:
-We would like to stay below $800-$900K for a 3 bdrm house (not a condo)
-My husband would likely be working in downtown Dallas. His current commute is about 45 min-1 hr, so we don't mind a drive (would prefer to keep it shorter if possible).
-We are expecting a baby and school districts are a high priority
-Safety is important, as I would be at home by myself with our baby a lot with my husband's weird work hours

We are open to any and all suggestions!! Thank you ahead of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Main questions you will have to decide for yourself is what type of neighborhood you are looking for and whether or not middle and high school ratings are important. Your budget gives you a lot of good options so it is more a matter of preference and whether it is worth it to extend the commute for better middle/high schools.

With older kids it is pretty easy, but in your case it might not make sense to purchase based on school needs 11-12 years from now.

Anyway, here are a few suggestions to check out. Also keep in mind that school districts (ISD's) do not necessarily follow city boundaries.

Far North Dallas - look for areas zoned to Richardson and Plano schools. You will want to research the individual elementary schools as they are not uniform, but most are good and they feed into either JJ Pearce HS (Richardson ISD) or Plano West HS (Plano ISD).

M-Streets - look for areas zoned to Stonewall Jackson Elementary. Much shorter commute and a very different atmosphere. Older homes and more of a city setting. Middle and High schools would not be comparable to the suburban schools listed above, but particular elementaries such as Stonewall Jackson are.

Lakewood (neighborhood within Dallas) - somewhat like the M-streets, but with generally larger lots. Mature trees and older homes (or custom rebuilds) adjacent to White Rock Lake. Look for Lakewood Elementary zoned homes.

Sunnyvale - not commonly discussed on this forum, but it is a close in suburb with its own generally good school district and homes on larger lots. Feels more "Texan" to me than the other areas previously mentioned. Whether that is good or bad is up to you.

Plano - Very good schools, little bit longer commute. Areas zoned to Plano West HS are generally considered the best and the more affluent part of Plano which aligns with your budget.

Coppell - similar to Plano, except a smaller area/district. Very good schools, little bit longer commute.

Rockwall - East of Dallas across the lake. I have heard the commute in from that direction can be fairly difficult (fewer alternatives due to the lake), but at least in my opinion is a very nice area with a more relaxed feel.

Just for fun, you can also check out the following (not everyone may share my idea of fun):

Highland Park/University Park (aka Park Cities) - The highest performing school district in DFW located very close to Downtown Dallas. Not coincidentally it is also very expensive by DFW standards. Your budget would probably limit you to a single family attached home or condo (which is why I didn't recommend it above).

North Dallas/Preston Hollow - Most of the public schools are not desirable here, but if you have ever considered private school this area offers great neighborhoods with a short commute and proximity to most of the best private schools in Dallas.

Midway Hollow - could be considered part of the previous entry, but I broke it out here to call out the Withers Elementary zone as it is a well regarded school similar to Stonewall Jackson mentioned earlier.

Good luck with your move. These are just some suggested areas to check out. You will probably find that you like some more than others.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:27 PM

This is very helpful! Thank you for your thorough response. We will check those areas out!

Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Main questions you will have to decide for yourself is what type of neighborhood you are looking for and whether or not middle and high school ratings are important. Your budget gives you a lot of good options so it is more a matter of preference and whether it is worth it to extend the commute for better middle/high schools.

With older kids it is pretty easy, but in your case it might not make sense to purchase based on school needs 11-12 years from now.

Anyway, here are a few suggestions to check out. Also keep in mind that school districts (ISD's) do not necessarily follow city boundaries.

Far North Dallas - look for areas zoned to Richardson and Plano schools. You will want to research the individual elementary schools as they are not uniform, but most are good and they feed into either JJ Pearce HS (Richardson ISD) or Plano West HS (Plano ISD).

M-Streets - look for areas zoned to Stonewall Jackson Elementary. Much shorter commute and a very different atmosphere. Older homes and more of a city setting. Middle and High schools would not be comparable to the suburban schools listed above, but particular elementaries such as Stonewall Jackson are.

Lakewood (neighborhood within Dallas) - somewhat like the M-streets, but with generally larger lots. Mature trees and older homes (or custom rebuilds) adjacent to White Rock Lake. Look for Lakewood Elementary zoned homes.

Sunnyvale - not commonly discussed on this forum, but it is a close in suburb with its own generally good school district and homes on larger lots. Feels more "Texan" to me than the other areas previously mentioned. Whether that is good or bad is up to you.

Plano - Very good schools, little bit longer commute. Areas zoned to Plano West HS are generally considered the best and the more affluent part of Plano which aligns with your budget.

Coppell - similar to Plano, except a smaller area/district. Very good schools, little bit longer commute.

Rockwall - East of Dallas across the lake. I have heard the commute in from that direction can be fairly difficult (fewer alternatives due to the lake), but at least in my opinion is a very nice area with a more relaxed feel.

Just for fun, you can also check out the following (not everyone may share my idea of fun):

Highland Park/University Park (aka Park Cities) - The highest performing school district in DFW located very close to Downtown Dallas. Not coincidentally it is also very expensive by DFW standards. Your budget would probably limit you to a single family attached home or condo (which is why I didn't recommend it above).

North Dallas/Preston Hollow - Most of the public schools are not desirable here, but if you have ever considered private school this area offers great neighborhoods with a short commute and proximity to most of the best private schools in Dallas.

Midway Hollow - could be considered part of the previous entry, but I broke it out here to call out the Withers Elementary zone as it is a well regarded school similar to Stonewall Jackson mentioned earlier.

Good luck with your move. These are just some suggested areas to check out. You will probably find that you like some more than others.

This advice is literally perfect. Nothing else anyone can really add here.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
You won't need public schools for a long time so I would just focus on city neighborhoods that have excellent elementary schools. That covers you for at least a decade and then you can cross the middle school bridge (private, magnet, etc) if you're still in Dallas at that point. Just because your husband *can* commute doesn't mean it's a good use of time or money.

My suggestions (no particular order):
East Dallas - includes neighborhoods like Lakewood, M Streets, etc (roughly bordered by 75 to the west, White Rock Lake to the east, Henderson Ave/ Live Oak to the south, and Mockingbird to the north). Historic neighborhoods from the 1920-1940s with new construction mixed in. Lakewood & Stonewall Jackson are the top tier elementary schools there, Lee is up & coming quickly. Elementary schools have VERY active preschool association groups (LECPTA) where moms can connect with other moms & kids aged birth to PreK. To get a neighborhood vibe, stop in Tietze Park, Lakewood Village, Lower Greenville, and drive around the west side of White Rock Lake. Maybe a 10 minute commute to downtown without ever getting on a highway.

North Oak Cliff - includes residential neighborhoods Kessler Park and Stevens Park (roughly bordered by I30 to the north, Davis to the south, Hampton to the west, and Zang to the east). Rosemont Elementary has strong neighborhood support - a Rhodes Scholar former college professor with whom I grew up sends her kids there- and a great dual language program. It's unusual being a K-8 school vs typical K-5. Historic neighborhood with probably the most beautiful terrain in all of Dallas - ravines, hills, winding roads, and two public golf courses. Check out nearby Bishop Arts District for lunch and shopping.

North Dallas (South of LBJ) - focus on Withers Elementary (served by parts of 75220 and 75229) and Kramer Elementary (served by the eastern half of 75230). DISD's Montessori magnet elementary school Dealey is also in this area though very difficult to gain admissions. The neighborhoods that serve these schools are mainly 1950's ranch style one stories on bigger lots (1/3-1/2 acre range). There is new construction but well above the top of your budget, more in the $1.5-2M range. Again, very active early childhood PTA (Preston Hollow Preschool Association) that fosters relationships between moms/ kids who will enroll in both private and public elementary schools. Preston Royal is the neighborhood "hub" though lots of shopping & dining all over the area. Steel City Pops is a good "pit stop" for your tour.

Lake Highlands - northeast Dallas (roughly Northwest Hwy to the south, LBj to the north & east, Abrams to the west. The nicest areas are adjacent to Flagpole Hill @ Northwest Hwy & Audelia. This area is zoned to Richardson ISD and schools are well thought of- could be a long term move. Very family centered and lots of school spirit and support. Homes range from 1950's ranches to 1970s contemporaries to new construction.

Most Dallas neighborhoods feel "suburban" rather than urban so you don't need to move to the suburbs and have a long commute to escape feeling like you live in a super urban area.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 AM

964 posts, read 877,460 times
I grew up in Pasadena (in the Oak Knoll area) and know it as well or better than any person in this forum and I can tell you the only decent place close to downtown Dallas WITH good schools that I would live in is Highland Park/University Park or Plano (a little further out). Other places listed above are very much like Pasadena but like Pasadena have schools I find unacceptable if I am going to spend close to $20,000 in property taxes.

In a nutshell if you want the best schools its Plano and/or Highland Park/University Park if you want proximity to downtown. If you are willing to settle on schools or distance then you can consider other places.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:09 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
I would recommend University Park, Far North Dallas(Plano schools) or Far West Plano. Among these three UP would be best choice for your needs. Between FND and FWP, I personally prefer FWP, as property taxes are lower and city services are better. It is pretty much center of our corporate universe now so works well if you want to switch jobs without changing home or schools. You can get a lovely home for $800k.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:13 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
If you are willing to consider private there are some lovely character neighborhoods with an easy commute to downtown. There are some excellent private schools in the Dallas area and if you have young children you'll time to get the lay of the land. Plano has some excellent schools but the commute will be lousy and the city lacks character. Why settle for a generic home in suburbia with a lousy commute when you can easily afford something more unique if you consider private school?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Another vote for the East Dallas neighborhoods of M-Streets and Lakewood. While you are in town, stop by the Lot (locally owned restaurant with tons of young families) and Cane Rosse - pizza spot. Both will give you a good feel for this area.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
I grew up in Pasadena (in the Oak Knoll area) and know it as well or better than any person in this forum and I can tell you the only decent place close to downtown Dallas WITH good schools that I would live in is Highland Park/University Park or Plano (a little further out). Other places listed above are very much like Pasadena but like Pasadena have schools I find unacceptable if I am going to spend close to $20,000 in property taxes.

In a nutshell if you want the best schools its Plano and/or Highland Park/University Park if you want proximity to downtown. If you are willing to settle on schools or distance then you can consider other places.

Exactly. It is difficult to explain the situation to people that don't know Pasadena well. As much as I love it here we are finally making the decision to move in large part because of the school district. Yes, we could stay here and send our kid to private, but I want to send my children to public school. That being said, I want my kids to attend public schools that are at the same tier as South Pas, San Marino, and La Canada (again something difficult to explain without knowing the area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas