Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 04:25 PM

312 posts, read 277,474 times

Advertisements

Going to the UF-Michigan game early in Sept.

Looking at Arlington hotels, they are overpriced for that weekend ($350 a night-ish) and get bad reviews.

Thinking of staying at an airport hotel (we're flying and staying 2 nights) and finding our way to the stadium and back from there. Not planning on renting a car. We can walk a good ways, within reason. Are there shuttles that don't cost a ton?

Does this make sense? Or is there an alternative we haven't considered?

Don't know a thing about the area. Stayed there once on business and the lady at the steakhouse cut off my tie.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 04:45 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,661 times
If you're staying 2 nights, expand your search! The stadium is about a $30-$40 uber ride from anywhere in the metroplex.

If you're feeling more cosmopolitan, stay in Uptown, enjoy the good restaurants and good scene. If you want more cowboy culture, stay in Ft. Worth, then uber to the game and uber back.

All told, you will be out only $80-$90 - and you can stay in Ft. Worth or Dallas for $150-$200/night (or much cheaper if you choose an outlier suburb)

Old 08-04-2017, 05:31 PM

769 posts, read 782,624 times
Does Uber still adjust prices for busy events? That $30 ride may cost $150.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:39 PM

312 posts, read 277,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Does Uber still adjust prices for busy events? That $30 ride may cost $150.
Yes, I was worried about that.

Although we'd like to explore Dallas, this trip is just flying in, sleeping, doing gameday in the stadium area, sleeping and flying out. So wanting to minimize surface-street transit costs and of course lodging. Hence the airport hotel concept, which may or may not be a smart one.

Last edited by nazz; 08-04-2017 at 06:13 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 12:06 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
Yes, I was worried about that.

Although we'd like to explore Dallas, this trip is just flying in, sleeping, doing gameday in the stadium area, sleeping and flying out. So wanting to minimize surface-street transit costs and of course lodging. Hence the airport hotel concept, which may or may not be a smart one.
Background: I used to work at both the Arlington Enterprise location near Jerry's world and at DFW Airport and I have been to several games.

On game day Uber will range from crazy to reasonable depending on supply and demand. The safe bet is to stay in Arlington. You might get cheap ubers, you might not. At least with the Hotel you know what you are paying for.

Look at rental cars. The cost of one could be cheaper than uber trips. This will allow you to either say in a cool place and enjoy nightlife (Dallas or Fort Worth) or stay in a cheaper hotel. Expect to pay 20 bucks to park and walk a good ways. No matter how you slice it traffic will be awful on game day.

All that said, game day is a magical experience. Enjoy it!

Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Background: I used to work at both the Arlington Enterprise location near Jerry's world and at DFW Airport and I have been to several games.

On game day Uber will range from crazy to reasonable depending on supply and demand. The safe bet is to stay in Arlington. You might get cheap ubers, you might not. At least with the Hotel you know what you are paying for.

Look at rental cars. The cost of one could be cheaper than uber trips. This will allow you to either say in a cool place and enjoy nightlife (Dallas or Fort Worth) or stay in a cheaper hotel. Expect to pay 20 bucks to park and walk a good ways. No matter how you slice it traffic will be awful on game day.

All that said, game day is a magical experience. Enjoy it!
OP, if you stay at the airport hotel, and you aren't requesting an Uber at some crazy random hour, the supply side of the situation will be just fine so it shouldn't be too expensive. It's the getting home part that will be tricky. Without knowing what time game will be out, i would suggest walking to a restaurant near the stadium and getting some food and drinks while you wait for the initial round of people requesting Ubers to die down. As soon as the game ends there will be a spike that surges pricing, but that will die down eventually.

But is the airport hotel that much cheaper? It will be better quality that's for sure. If you pick a hotel with a free shutttle to airport that might be something to consider as well, just make sure to stay south of the airport. I personally have only ever parked in the lots where parking is $75 and up, and even that was sort of a beating so I can't recommend driving your own car and parking.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:55 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
You might check with your alumni association for specials/packages. Sometimes the universities will have something going on in Sundance Square (FW) and offer shuttles to/from the games. Might be worth a google search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas