Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 02:24 AM

188 posts, read 596,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

For the moment we're doing our own manual labor, which often means working outdoors for hours on end in 95+ temperatures. Basically, doing the exact same thing people accuse Americans of being "too good to do". And we're doing it for free after each of us working a full day at the office.
Stop it, you are killing jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
Without the cheap labor you will see new housing be out of the range of 70% of the population. FYI. Most legal americans dont want to work in the heat for long hours even at increased pay. We have become soft and lazy.
Speak for yourself. DH and I sweated off about 20 lbs between the two of us working outside this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
Stop it, you are killing jobs
No. If more people were like us and learned how to do more things themselves, we wouldn't have any need for cheap illegal labor. We're talking the talk AND walking the walk, and setting an example for other people in the neighborhood. If old farts like US can do it, your slim millennial butts can too.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:07 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djslakor View Post
And yet they just keep selling. I think your narrative lacks verisimilitude.
BECAUSE, the prices have not gone up like they would without cheap labor. I sell new homes. Cheap labor is still being used. If you go out and see homes being framed and built, look at who is doing them. Hispanic labor(aka cheap labor). Thats being true and real.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdgeek View Post
speak for yourself. Dh and i sweated off about 20 lbs between the two of us working outside this weekend.

lmao

Old 08-14-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
lmao
Come over and help sometime. You don't get to just watch at our house...we put you to work.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:21 AM

630 posts, read 656,949 times
OK. amateur couples working on DIY renovations at home on their spare time is sure to make an impact on staffing crews for expansive soil stabilization works in residential and highway construction in North Texas.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
OK. amateur couples working on DIY renovations at home on their spare time is sure to make an impact on staffing crews for expansive soil stabilization works in residential and highway construction in North Texas.
I'm sure we're making no impact whatsoever on anyone's bottom line except our own.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:44 AM

165 posts, read 196,644 times
Some people just hate working Americans.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
As a Gen X'er the real estate market was brutal even for me. The millennials really get the short end of the stick. For the past several decades, housing costs have increased as a proportion of income.
I work with a lot of young millennials and many of the ones making well above the median income can't afford to live anywhere near offices in the Irving or downtown Dallas business hubs (unless they are single without children). Some companies around here are having to transition to part time telecommuting or moving their office to Plano or McKinney just to attract young talent. If you look at neighborhoods in the exurbs like up in Celina, they are full of young families who can't afford to raise a family anywhere closer to the heart of the metroplex.
I understand your point about the exurbs. I live in Celina, and many of us could easily afford a nice, albeit older/smaller, house in Plano, Richardson, Carrollton etc. but actually prefer the more quiet and peaceful rural setting. Schools aren't quite as good as those in some of the other suburbs yet, but they're respectable with test scores that don't differ as much as one might expect. I work in Plano, and the wife works in Frisco. I understand that the location wouldn't work as easily for those working in Dallas, Irving, etc. With the perpetually increasing hustle and bustle of DFW, some families actually move to these areas out of preference.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:47 PM

770 posts, read 931,810 times
Speaking for Frisco, at the $700k level and up, houses are still moving historically quickly if they are priced right for the sq footage and condition. Just had a neighbor go under contract last week and they received an offer for 98% of list and they took it. Less than two months to go under contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas