Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You're assuming a lot about me.

Nobody said "struggling." I said "squeezed." As in there's not a whole lot of benefit cost-wise to staying here (for us) anymore.

Also, I'm female.

Since you are a homeowner who would like to relocate out of DFW, aren't the price increases here a positive for you?

One of the historic problems with owning a home in DFW is that peers in other cities would see their wealth increase as a result of home appreciation while folks here in DFW didn't get the same increase.

Let's say two families that both landed a job in Denver as a Database Developers, one moving from LA the other from Dallas. In the past, the family moving from CA would have large amounts of home equity to put towards a purchase in DEN, while the family from DFW would not (Even if both had originally purchased a home for the same price).

Now, however, recent home appreciation in DFW doesn't put you as far behind other parts of the country when relocating.

The problem comes to folks who plan on staying in DFW. Not much benefit, only higher property taxes.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:25 PM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
DFW is not very cheap for what it offers. It used to be, but not anymore.
Really? Again what is the alternative?

You get great schools, great entertainment, great restaurants, great sporting events, great concerts, great museums, great access to all over the world, great place to raise kids, incredibly clean.

Every single other alternative that comes close to what DFW has to offer is 2x+ more expensive except Atlanta, Houston, Austin/SA, and maybe Phoenix. All are similar priced or slightly more so DFW one of the cheapest for what is has to offer.

Anything cheaper and you have to compromise on different things.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Since you are a homeowner who would like to relocate out of DFW, aren't the price increases here a positive for you?

One of the historic problems with owning a home in DFW is that peers in other cities would see their wealth increase as a result of home appreciation while folks here in DFW didn't get the same increase.

Let's say two families that both landed a job in Denver as a Database Developers, one moving from LA the other from Dallas. In the past, the family moving from CA would have large amounts of home equity to put towards a purchase in DEN, while the family from DFW would not (Even if both had originally purchased a home for the same price).

Now, however, recent home appreciation in DFW doesn't put you as far behind other parts of the country when relocating.

The problem comes to folks who plan on staying in DFW. Not much benefit, only higher property taxes.
It would be if we planned to move right now. We're not...we're planning to move "someday," which means we're stuck paying the same higher utility rates & property taxes as everyone else.

Higher real estate values are only positive if you're A.) selling or B.) trying to pull a lot of cash out of your home equity.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:29 PM

455 posts, read 578,681 times
My point is that what DFW has to offer is not worth it anymore to me.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
My point is that what DFW has to offer is not worth it anymore to me.
OK. You made the decision that you were willing to pay more to live in Seattle. You felt Seattle had more to offer you and that the increased costs of Seattle were worth it to you to go there. I can't argue that at all. When DFW was 1/4 of the price you felt DFW was worth staying, but at some point the gap closed to the point that Seattle (while still more) was more desirable for you.

There was compromise since for the exact same amount you had to live in a lesser city in a lesser house than you would in Seattle.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You're assuming a lot about me.

Nobody said "struggling." I said "squeezed." As in there's not a whole lot of benefit cost-wise to staying here (for us) anymore.

Also, I'm female.
Yup we were feeling the squeeze too, priced out of our hood if we wanted to buy now vs couple years ago. Taxes out of control, tolls insane. Electric bills very high, you name it we were feeling it.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
OK. You made the decision that you were willing to pay more to live in Seattle. You felt Seattle had more to offer you and that the increased costs of Seattle were worth it to you to go there. I can't argue that at all. When DFW was 1/4 of the price you felt DFW was worth staying, but at some point the gap closed to the point that Seattle (while still more) was more desirable for you.

There was compromise since for the exact same amount you had to live in a lesser city in a lesser house than you would in Seattle.
That is correct, also interesting is that with the increased wages our cash flow is higher now. Despite having to pay almost double for a home.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:52 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Really? Again what is the alternative?

You get great schools, great entertainment, great restaurants, great sporting events, great concerts, great museums, great access to all over the world, great place to raise kids, incredibly clean.

Every single other alternative that comes close to what DFW has to offer is 2x+ more expensive except Atlanta, Houston, Austin/SA, and maybe Phoenix. All are similar priced or slightly more so DFW one of the cheapest for what is has to offer.

Anything cheaper and you have to compromise on different things.
Yes, you can "compromise" by getting less traffic, more outdoor beauty and recreation, better weather, less driving, more historical "character", fewer strip centers, a less consumption-obsessed culture and better (read: less cookie-cutter) housing stock in many, many mid-sized cities. Yes, DFW is cheap for a very large metro. But it's also a less desirable place to live than most other large metros. It should be cheaper.

There are all sorts of smaller cities that are comparably priced that I would rather live in. You say they entail compromise. I say you value the wrong things. DFW entails compromise -- unless you think people look foreard to sitting in their cars for over an hour per day or spending the entire day inside because it is still 95 degrees at 9 o'oclock. People in DFW go shopping for entertainment. Going to the mall is sh*tty entertainment.

You are talking past everyone else on this board. No one is disagreeing with your point that DFW is cheaper than most big cities. They are saying it has gotten "expensive." That is a subjective claim that is not synonymous with "DFW is more expensive than comparable cities." You said that "logical people compare like things." The problem of course is that people here aren't making the comparison you think they're making. You're using the language wrong. "DFW has gotten expensive" can simply mean "I have a hard time affording DFW." "Expensive" is an inherently subjective term. You are treating it as though it is objective.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:56 PM

Dupe

Old 08-28-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Yes, you can "compromise" by getting less traffic, more outdoor beauty and recreation, better weather, less driving, more historical "character", fewer strip centers, a less consumption-obsessed culture and better (read: less cookie-cutter) housing stock in many, many mid-sized cities. Yes, DFW is cheap for a very large metro. But it's also a less desirable place to live than most other large metros. It should be cheaper.

There are all sorts of smaller cities that are comparably priced that I would rather live in. You say they entail compromise. I say you value the wrong things. DFW entails compromise -- unless you think people look foreard to sitting in their cars for over an hour per day or spending the entire day inside because it is still 95 degrees at 9 o'oclock. People in DFW go shopping for entertainment. Going to the mall is sh*tty entertainment.

You are talking past everyone else on this board. No one is disagreeing with your point that DFW is cheaper than most big cities. They are saying it has gotten "expensive." That is a subjective claim that is not synonymous with "DFW is more expensive than comparable cities." You said that "logical people compare like things." The problem of course is that people here aren't making the comparison you think they're making. You're using the language wrong. "DFW has gotten expensive" can simply mean "I have a hard time affording DFW." "Expensive" is an inherently subjective term. You are treating it as though it is objective.
Too much opinion here. I don't disregard it, but I can afford to live in any major metro area and I choose DFW above many of them. In other words it is more desirable than most other large metros to me. I certainly respect and understand why someone would choose some other place, but I value a large metro area over anything else and I don't shop and rarely drive more than 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas