Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Amazon will want to have their 2nd HQ a good distance from the first, so anything like the West Coast, Colorado, Utah, etc... is probably out.

I also think they would probably want to avoid being on the East Coast, anywhere. That is due to higher cost of living and natural disasters. They don't have to worry about things like hurricanes in Seattle, but on the East Coast, a damaging hurricane like Harvey could completely screw with their warehouses and shipping schedules and create a huge mess. So anything in FL is probably out. Houston, too.

I could see places like DFW, Austin, or San Antonio in the running, as well as Kansas City, Charlotte, and Atlanta. Definitely think Toronto could be a contender, the exchange rates right now would be favorable to them to do so. Doubtful Boston or NYC would get the nod.
I'm seriously laughing at the suggestion of San Antonio and KC. This will not be driven primarily by cost of living, though yes, they'll want to see who can offer good tax breaks. Boston and NYC are natural choices. The people Amazon wants to hire are already relocating to these cities in large numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 12:31 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I'm seriously laughing at the suggestion of San Antonio and KC. This will not be driven primarily by cost of living, though yes, they'll want to see who can offer good tax breaks. Boston and NYC are natural choices. The people Amazon wants to hire are already relocating to these cities in large numbers.
It's tricky because their wish list includes some opposing forces. Cities good for #1, 2, 3, 6 aren't necessarily the same cities that would be good for #4, 5, 7, 8. And #8 itself contains some contradictory forces, because places with lots of amenities and good recreation usually don't have low cost of living/housing. It's like they want Nirvana basically. Really depends on what their #1 priority is.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:32 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I would also say don't sleep on the DC area, particularly the Northern Virginia suburbs - I wouldn't be surprised if they are on that list as well. The pool of tech skilled workers there is very deep, I'd argue only SF and Boston have the same sheer numbers of developer-types on a metro level (though data varies depending on how you define tech workers).

I don't think COL of a region is as important to Amazon as it would be to some other companies because of the type of business they do - its more important to them that they have the talent and fit they need. I tend to think this HQ will go somewhere on the East Coast. If you put a gun to my head and made me guess I'd go with Boston too.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:34 PM

140 posts, read 178,738 times
whereever they can get the best tax deal. that probably would be here in Legacy

Old 09-07-2017, 12:41 PM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
Parts of that fit Irving like a glove, but I'm actually with Mr. Clutch -- NOVA seems a far more likely fit.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Parts of that fit Irving like a glove, but I'm actually with Mr. Clutch -- NOVA seems a far more likely fit.
What I was thinking of when I wrote that was all the development that's happening in Tysons Corner. Amazon seems like the perfect fit to build out and round out that area - they already have the public transportation and infrastructure in place. There are tons of tech workers within 30 miles of the area and it seems like a good cultural fit. And Virginia is a low-tax, stable, business friendly state.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:52 PM

140 posts, read 178,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
What I was thinking of when I wrote that was all the development that's happening in Tysons Corner. Amazon seems like the perfect fit to build out and round out that area - they already have the public transportation and infrastructure in place. There are tons of tech workers within 30 miles of the area and it seems like a good cultural fit. And Virginia is a low-tax, stable, business friendly state.
I live in NOVA for 7 years. Tysons corner area built out a long time ago. Now getting much more crime. The Metro always crowded and breaking down constantly. Terrible move IMHO

Old 09-07-2017, 12:55 PM

578 posts, read 479,068 times
I'm surprised no one mentions the Amazon-Whole Foods merger DAYS AGO.
It is very possible that Amazon HQ2 will be in a metroplex full of Whole Foods, so that it can supervise the operation closely.
DFW, Chicago, Boston could be good candidates.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:13 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post

Wherever they go, I think it will be a game changer for the city they choose as long as they retain their e-commerce dominance. By game changer I mean it will be a huge re-shaping force on the area, in my opinion.

What about downtown Dallas? Too dense?

Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM

92 posts, read 117,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminate7 View Post
whereever they can get the best tax deal. that probably would be here in Legacy
50,000 jobs means, what, 200,000 more people... in Plano?

What could go wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas