Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 PM

422 posts, read 541,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
That cartoon woman really needs shoes in that environment.

I was surprised that there was a tall muscular one, and he chose the chubby short one to fall in love with at the trash heap.

P.S. I think we're being trolled at this point

Old 09-12-2017, 01:57 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
Dallas is one city you need a car. It is vastly spread out and public transportation is less than ideal. I could understand in you lived in a city like NY, San Fran., etc but this is Texas. It's a driving town.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:22 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
I was surprised that there was a tall muscular one, and he chose the chubby short one to fall in love with at the trash heap.

P.S. I think we're being trolled at this point
Not being trolled, I create those images to visualize thoughts and feelings.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Dallas is one city you need a car. It is vastly spread out and public transportation is less than ideal. I could understand in you lived in a city like NY, San Fran., etc but this is Texas. It's a driving town.
I work from home and I'm pretty much a home body, and even when I do go out all the places I enjoy going are on bus routes even when I do drive must of the places I go I see a bus stop near by as i'm getting out of my car.

So no I don't NEED a car, I do want one though, but not needing one allows me to take my time and wait for the best deal I can find.

Now if I lived in one of the small towns out side of FT.worth proper or Dallas proper then yes I would NEED a car. And I would have already gotten one and most likely settled for one I was not happy with because need and urgency would have influenced my choice in what I got.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:04 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I work from home and I'm pretty much a home body, and even when I do go out all the places I enjoy going are on bus routes even when I do drive must of the places I go I see a bus stop near by as i'm getting out of my car.

So no I don't NEED a car, I do want one though, but not needing one allows me to take my time and wait for the best deal I can find.

Now if I lived in one of the small towns out side of FT.worth proper or Dallas proper then yes I would NEED a car. And I would have already gotten one and most likely settled for one I was not happy with because need and urgency would have influenced my choice in what I got.
Well, you began your post pointing out most women in this town are a "bit snobby" about someone not having a car. Whereas it might suit you to take the bus, it's not hard for me to understand why most women wouldn't consider that an ideal date. but hey, that's just me.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Well, you began your post pointing out most women in this town are a "bit snobby" about someone not having a car. Whereas it might suit you to take the bus, it's not hard for me to understand why most women wouldn't consider that an ideal date. but hey, that's just me.
Yep, what i was trying to figure out was what made texas women different in that regard. I keep getting back that it's just the culture here, kinda goes against the stereotype people are more "laid back" and "down to earth" here in da sow-uuuth.

Like I said I'm not against cars, nor do I never plan on getting one, but it does seem judgemental and shallow to place stigma on those without one whether by choice or circumstance.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Yep, what i was trying to figure out was what made texas women different in that regard. I keep getting back that it's just the culture here, kinda goes against the stereotype people are more "laid back" and "down to earth" here in da sow-uuuth.

Like I said I'm not against cars, nor do I never plan on getting one, but it does seem judgemental and shallow to place stigma on those without one whether by choice or circumstance.
I don't think it's the culture here, it's the culture in 90% of America outside of those other major metros discussed. A normal functioning adult generally has a car.

And I've heard the old "I can wait for the best deal" lines before, it generally means that there's another force stopping someone from getting something.

And then the broken down car issue doesn't make sense either. If it truly has a 6k motor in it and you're selling it for 2k, and car guy with half of brain would've bought that thing in a heartbeat. Not even a chance it sits on the market more than a day. So either you're b.s.ing about that or it's not worth what you think it's worth.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 PM

420 posts, read 402,990 times
Quote:

You're not in the south. You're in Texas.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:13 PM

24 posts, read 16,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
I don't think it's the culture here, it's the culture in 90% of America outside of those other major metros discussed. A normal functioning adult generally has a car.

And I've heard the old "I can wait for the best deal" lines before, it generally means that there's another force stopping someone from getting something.

And then the broken down car issue doesn't make sense either. If it truly has a 6k motor in it and you're selling it for 2k, and car guy with half of brain would've bought that thing in a heartbeat. Not even a chance it sits on the market more than a day. So either you're b.s.ing about that or it's not worth what you think it's worth.
While I don't think he is telling us a fib he is leaving out a big part of the story, I have cousins who street race, 6k is about average a 2k motor will barely get you in the door with that culture 8 or 9k after more work has been put into it, thats why some people work on their cars for years before they ever run their first race but show up to all the races and park off to the side with their hoods up showing their progress so far to a circle of gearheads staring at the motor with their jaws hangin.

What he is not telling you is that these days they all drive something different so while his motor may actually be worth 6k, it's only gonna be worth that to a very specific person, another street racer who recently blew out the same type of motor or some kid who wants to streetrace and just got his moms hand me down thats the same make/model and wants to put a sup'd up motor in it..

So someone trying to sell their used racing ricer faces the problem of having to sell a car actually worth 20K when kelly bluebook says it's worth 1k so it may take him awhile to sell it.

My cousin got hurt at work ended up with nerve damage and tried to sell his ricer and it took him 3 years before he got the price he wanted, and to who you ask? you guessed it , another racer.

90% of people looking at a 17 year old car in the greensheet or where ever he is selling it is most likely looking for an $800 car to get to work in, whoever finally buys his car will be 0.01% of the car buying market I'm sure someone would be happy to buy his car but most would not.

So if you ever wondered why the brokest guys sometimes drive the nicest cars.............

Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMcDeath View Post
While I don't think he is telling us a fib he is leaving out a big part of the story, I have cousins who street race, 6k is about average a 2k motor will barely get you in the door with that culture 8 or 9k after more work has been put into it, thats why some people work on their cars for years before they ever run their first race but show up to all the races and park off to the side with their hoods up showing their progress so far to a circle of gearheads staring at the motor with their jaws hangin.

What he is not telling you is that these days they all drive something different so while his motor may actually be worth 6k, it's only gonna be worth that to a very specific person, another street racer who recently blew out the same type of motor or some kid who wants to streetrace and just got his moms hand me down thats the same make/model and wants to put a sup'd up motor in it..

So someone trying to sell their used racing ricer faces the problem of having to sell a car actually worth 20K when kelly bluebook says it's worth 1k so it may take him awhile to sell it.

My cousin got hurt at work ended up with nerve damage and tried to sell his ricer and it took him 3 years before he got the price he wanted, and to who you ask? you guessed it , another racer.

90% of people looking at a 17 year old car in the greensheet or where ever he is selling it is most likely looking for an $800 car to get to work in, whoever finally buys his car will be 0.01% of the car buying market I'm sure someone would be happy to buy his car but most would not.

So if you ever wondered why the brokest guys sometimes drive the nicest cars.............

All this is correct, and something I'm absolutely aware of. That's why if there's a 6k motor floating around for 2k, it would be instantly snatched up. Even street racers can't refuse a great deal. Hell they could even scrap the piece of crap car after pulling the motor out for $500. Fact is, this motor probably isn't worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas