Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
I moved into my first rear garage house 3 years ago. I won't say I love it, but it's not as bad as I thought. And instead of seeing all my neighbors from the front, we just happen to meet them in the back!

I agree that the garbage cans in the back makes the neighborhood look nicer. We had to put ours out front last year for about a month while the city was reconstructing our streets and the garbage trucks couldn't access the alleys. It really did look bad.

For me, the worst thing about back alleys is worrying about my kids running into them. The fences block the view, so you can't see if a car is coming. I've been very tempted to get a gate across the driveway. A friend told me about a 6 yo she knew who ran into the alley to get a ball and was hit and killed by a car. Now I'm super vigilant when I'm out back with my kids.
The overwhelming majority of people in my neighborhood with an alley entry to their garage have built gates for privacy/safety. I know of only one family who lets their kids play in the alley; they even put out orange cones which I think is a bit obnoxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 11:07 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I know of only one family who lets their kids play in the alley; they even put out orange cones which I think is a bit obnoxious.
My God. I love hearing about crunchy parents. Do they totally block off the alley?

I let my kids play in the backyard, walk to their friends house, play kickball/soccer/whatever in the cup-du-sac (they know to get out of the way when a car comes though) so probably somebody will say that's wrong.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
My God. I love hearing about crunchy parents. Do they totally block off the alley?

I let my kids play in the backyard, walk to their friends house, play kickball/soccer/whatever in the cup-du-sac (they know to get out of the way when a car comes though) so probably somebody will say that's wrong.
Yes, they block the alley. That's why it's obnoxious. Kids playing outside is great...I like seeing that.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:12 PM

551 posts, read 1,099,066 times
No sure why this is obnoxious. Actually sounds like a good idea. Gives a little more visibility that there are kids playing and, with the way people are on their phones all the time, every little thing helps. Do they not move out of the way if someone needs to get to their driveway? It's not like it's a through street. Should only be neighbors going in and out. A few seconds to move a cone every once in a while is not a big deal.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
No sure why this is obnoxious. Actually sounds like a good idea. Gives a little more visibility that there are kids playing and, with the way people are on their phones all the time, every little thing helps. Do they not move out of the way if someone needs to get to their driveway? It's not like it's a through street. Should only be neighbors going in and out. A few seconds to move a cone every once in a while is not a big deal.
It keeps people from getting to their driveways and they do it almost every day. The alley isn't theirs to block. It's actually illegal without a permit, which I assure you they do not have.

I don't complain about it because it's not my alley but I certainly would if it was. That family has a front yard and a back yard for the kids to play in, plus there's a park less than a mile from the house. Why block the alley? It's stupid.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:32 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
I was one of those parents whose kids played in their yard, neighbor/friend's yards or walked to neighborhood park, weren't allowed to go in the alley. So many people have no regard for speed in alleys and are too distracted or careless even on right speed.

Is it even legal to block an alley. Isnt it a safety hazard?

Old 09-25-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I was one of those parents whose kids played in their yard, neighbor/friend's yards or walked to neighborhood park, weren't allowed to go in the alley. So many people have no regard for speed in alleys and are too distracted or careless even on right speed.

Is it even legal to block an alley. Isnt it a safety hazard?
It is not legal, and yes it is a safety hazard.

When we're working in the yard we always try to make sure that we do not obstruct the alley. We could be fined if someone complained, though more than likely we'd just get a nasty letter in the mail from the city first.

The city is strict about sight lines in alleys. You can't even build fences at right angles where alleys intersect. They have to be built at an angle to maximize the sight lines.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
My garage is in the back. I dig it.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Why do most of the houses in some of the north suburbs have attached garages that back up to alleys? Older houses by me have detached garages that are accessed by alleys. Subdivisions of all ages in the northern suburbs have them. Other locations in DFW do not. What are the reasons for having them? They seemed kind of interesting, but it seems like it'd promote a lot more on street parking (which I do not really like). They ultimately don't seem to make any difference.
My brother lived in Preston Hollow (old homes) and there were entire streets with alley parking, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:28 PM

130 posts, read 153,931 times
With the amount of crap people store in their garages now a days, regardless of it being in the front or back... most end up parking on their driveways or streets anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas