Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 5,818 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

Hoping to get some advice with relocation. My husband and I are moving from Orlando, FL to the Dallas area for a career position in Grand Prairie, TX. From most of the research I've done, it seems like the top areas for us would be:

Coppell, Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake and possibly Las Colinas but I don't know as much about that area.

We are in our early 30s with one baby (4 years away from school age) and my most important items in a community are: safety, schools (however we do still have a few years until elementary) and commute to work.

Any opinions on the major differences between those areas? I've also read some about Joe Pool Lake area but again don't know much about it. We'd probably rent a home first to make sure we love the area, but our home buying budget would be around $450K.

Any help is much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:05 AM

964 posts, read 868,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahthompson063088 View Post
Hi All!

Hoping to get some advice with relocation. My husband and I are moving from Orlando, FL to the Dallas area for a career position in Grand Prairie, TX. From most of the research I've done, it seems like the top areas for us would be:

Coppell, Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake and possibly Las Colinas but I don't know as much about that area.

We are in our early 30s with one baby (4 years away from school age) and my most important items in a community are: safety, schools (however we do still have a few years until elementary) and commute to work.

Any opinions on the major differences between those areas? I've also read some about Joe Pool Lake area but again don't know much about it. We'd probably rent a home first to make sure we love the area, but our home buying budget would be around $450K.

Commute in order from best to worst

1) Las Colinas
2) Colleyville
3) Grapevine
4) Tie between Southlake and Coppell

Schools
1) Southlake
2) Colleyville/Grapevine
3) Coppell
4) Las Colinas

Safety
1) Tie between Southlake, Colleyville, Coppell, and Grapevine (All are safe)
2) Las Colinas (Still extremely safe IMO)

Budget (Cheapest to Most expensive)
1) Las Colinas
2) Grapevine
3) Coppell
4) Colleyville
5) Southlake

Joe Pool Lake is Mansfield, Southeast Arlington or Duncanville. Wouldn't even consider it.

Honestly with your budget I would probably go with Coppell or Grapevine. One other place to consider would be North Richland Hills. I probably choose Coppell or Grapevine over NRH but your budget would be very good for NRH.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:06 AM

989 posts, read 2,427,646 times
Quote:
Hi All!

Grand Prairie is somewhat big, where is the work office located (generally speaking) ? e.g. is it north or south of I-30, north or south of I-20, east or west of 161?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:30 AM

9,545 posts, read 7,002,302 times
I'm not sure Southlake is realistic with a $450,000 budget.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:35 AM

South of I-30, North of I-20 and pretty much dead on 161

Old 10-03-2017, 11:43 AM

I thought I read that Mansfield ISD was still a very good school district - please correct me though if thats not the case because I know taking locals words for it is way better!! I saw that Mira Lagos and Grand Peninsula are still in Mansfield ISD... thoughts??

Old 10-03-2017, 12:15 PM

989 posts, read 2,427,646 times
Quote:
South of I-30, North of I-20 and pretty much dead on 161
I am thinking Colleyville will probably be the worst commute wise bc you have to travel west to east more.

Las Colinas would be best commute wise.

Grapevine and Coppell probably a tie.

I don't know much else about those communities, unfortunately, other than maybe Las Colinas. Which seems like a nice place to me.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:05 PM

11,816 posts, read 26,653,817 times
Southlake is virtually impossible on $450k.

There are good schools in Mansfield. Mira Lagos is a very nice development. I’m not familiar enough with that area to give advice, but there are lots of posts here!

Old 10-03-2017, 04:11 PM

578 posts, read 470,625 times
Southlake is far ahead but need at least 550K or 600K.
Grapevine and Coppell should be good for 450K.

However, your budget now is 450K, doesn't mean you are limited to 450K.
If you don't have plan for more kids, you could save for more downpayment, and buy several years later.
You could call bank loaner, do pre-approval, and know how much of mortgage they will extend to you. (If they will, probably you can afford, but you just have to live frugally)
When you work near Southlake, it's hard not to think about living there.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:33 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,621,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
Southlake is far ahead but need at least 550K or 600K.
Grapevine and Coppell should be good for 450K.

However, your budget now is 450K, doesn't mean you are limited to 450K.
If you don't have plan for more kids, you could save for more downpayment, and buy several years later.
You could call bank loaner, do pre-approval, and know how much of mortgage they will extend to you. (If they will, probably you can afford, but you just have to live frugally)
When you work near Southlake, it's hard not to think about living there.
Between I-20 and I-30 on 161 is not exactly "near Southlake".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas