Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 08:28 PM

50 posts, read 79,902 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to buying new house , but confused whether to buy one with media room or not.

I know it needs atleast 15000 to build media room + 10000 for setup.

Is it really worth it? I rarely watch sports or movies. Even if i watch , i dont think i go everytime to media room to watch it.

I want to build media room only if it is worth.

Do you guys have a habit of going into media room atleast 2 to 3 times in a week? Do we really use that frequent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 08:40 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
IMO, definitely not. I would rather upgrade the finishes or save the money towards a pool.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:41 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringiton1 View Post
Hello,

I am planning to buying new house , but confused whether to buy one with media room or not.

I know it needs atleast 15000 to build media room + 10000 for setup.

Is it really worth it? I rarely watch sports or movies. Even if i watch , i dont think i go everytime to media room to watch it.

I want to build media room only if it is worth.

Do you guys have a habit of going into media room atleast 2 to 3 times in a week? Do we really use that frequent?
Media room was a good thing but times have changed. You can use that money for an extra main floor bed room, which comes in handy for babies, toddlers, sick kids, older parents, 2nd office, guests, fights with spouse etc.

Another use could be another garage for kid’s car or storage. I think an outdoor kitchen could be a better alternate too. Well, not spending extra >$25k would be nice as well.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:50 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Media rooms or "home theaters" became popular when the only really big screen you could buy was a projector which almost demands a dark room. Nowadays, TVs have gotten so big that I don't think it's necessary. I have an 80" TV with 7 speaker surround sound in my living room. I guess that's my media room.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 PM

50 posts, read 79,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Media rooms or "home theaters" became popular when the only really big screen you could buy was a projector which almost demands a dark room. Nowadays, TVs have gotten so big that I don't think it's necessary. I have an 80" TV with 7 speaker surround sound in my living room. I guess that's my media room.
Wow.. Did not expect perfect response. It cleared my confusion now. I was exactly thinking in the similar lines.

I enquired couple of friends who bought houses with media room in couple of years ago, they also said that media room is one of their worst investments. They used only for first couple months and then they did not used much again.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:06 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
We use ours all the time.
1. Functions as a second home office - somewhat frequently my wife and I both work from home.
1a. Our kids used our media room as a study area frequently.
1b.Whenever younger relatives come over the media room is in constant use for play, movies etc.
1c. Our media room also serves as a dining hall when lots of family or friends come over. We feed 10 or 11 kids in our media room several times per year.
1d. Our media room most days serves as my second man-cave which is great.

2. It's hard to explain but I have a separate audio system in the same room for music listening as well.

3. So far as $10K.........does that include furniture?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 PM

140 posts, read 178,657 times
My setup didn't cost 10k. I got a Yamaha amp and 7.2 surround and 1080p projector and screen for under 4K. Oh yeah my screen is 220" lol. It's freaking awesome for movies and gaming

Old 10-04-2017, 09:16 PM

450 posts, read 555,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringiton1 View Post
You answered it yourself.

I love Media Rooms because I'm an audiophile but I only use it on the weekends and I have only bought houses with it already done. If you do, don't go cheap and go with an upper level and lower level. Much more convenient.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:17 PM

213 posts, read 239,336 times
I would say yes. Necessary? Probably not. But it'll be a plus when selling. I did basic wiring for mine. I know I will never use it as a media room. I did not get the sound system. Anyone looking for a media room will have a media room, someone not looking for one can use it as an extra room.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:17 PM

450 posts, read 555,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminate7 View Post
My setup didn't cost 10k. I got a Yamaha amp and 7.2 surround and 1080p projector and screen for under 4K. Oh yeah my screen is 220" lol. It's freaking awesome for movies and gaming
220"?! is that a typo?

I assume you meant 120"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas