Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:38 AM

11 posts, read 45,526 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to Dallas last year (I am from TX originally but have moved around quite a bit). We rented for a year and in that time had a baby. We are currently looking at homes around $300K (I don't want to pay more than $2K a month MAX, but we do have some leeway with a down payment gift). I work in Uptown and my husband works from home, so my commute is really the biggest consideration. I would love to be in Richardson, my cousin lives in Canyon Creek but I KNOW we can no longer afford that neighborhood. One of our problems is our taste is very modern so most of the updated houses are just never what I would choose...ever. So I hate the idea of paying for updates I don't like and would remove ASAP (feels wasteful, too). I would be ok with renovations but my husband does not want to tackle that, and it would be a challenge with our current life situation.

Anyway, we found a house we like in North Garland that is updated nicely. But everyone seems to act like Garland is the ghetto. It's in 75044 zip code. Is Garland that bad? I've been checking google maps in the mornings and it looks like the commute wouldn't be terrible. I've also heard about Garland ISD's "school choice" system. Do people generally get their first choice? We would probably have to drive a little further to get to a good elementary school but we would do it willingly if it would get our son into a better school. I'm not too worried about past elementary school because with how much I moved growing up and as an adult so far...I would be surprised if we were still in the same house in ~10 years.

So, is Garland really THAT bad? Are property values going up there like in the rest of the metroplex so we would be able to resell in 5-10 years and not lose our shirts? (I know no one can guarantee that, but in general...) Are there any other areas I should consider? We are also looking in Richardson and Plano (west of 75 and as close as I can to south of the turnpike) but it seems to be much more slim pickings and things go so fast. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 08:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonaldkh View Post
My husband and I moved to Dallas last year (I am from TX originally but have moved around quite a bit). We rented for a year and in that time had a baby. We are currently looking at homes around $300K (I don't want to pay more than $2K a month MAX, but we do have some leeway with a down payment gift). I work in Uptown and my husband works from home, so my commute is really the biggest consideration. I would love to be in Richardson, my cousin lives in Canyon Creek but I KNOW we can no longer afford that neighborhood. One of our problems is our taste is very modern so most of the updated houses are just never what I would choose...ever. So I hate the idea of paying for updates I don't like and would remove ASAP (feels wasteful, too). I would be ok with renovations but my husband does not want to tackle that, and it would be a challenge with our current life situation.

Anyway, we found a house we like in North Garland that is updated nicely. But everyone seems to act like Garland is the ghetto. It's in 75044 zip code. Is Garland that bad? I've been checking google maps in the mornings and it looks like the commute wouldn't be terrible. I've also heard about Garland ISD's "school choice" system. Do people generally get their first choice? We would probably have to drive a little further to get to a good elementary school but we would do it willingly if it would get our son into a better school. I'm not too worried about past elementary school because with how much I moved growing up and as an adult so far...I would be surprised if we were still in the same house in ~10 years.

So, is Garland really THAT bad? Are property values going up there like in the rest of the metroplex so we would be able to resale in 5-10 years and not lose our shirts? (I know no one can guarantee that, but in general...) Are there any other areas I should consider? We are also looking in Richardson and Plano (west of 75 and as close as I can to south of the turnpike) but it seems to be much more slim pickings and things go so fast. Thanks in advance for any advice!
I live in the area of Richardson where you're looking.

You can actually still get houses for under $300k in my area, but they're either small or haven't been updated. I'd suggest that you take it on yourself but with a baby that isn't very realistic.

To be where you want to be you'll have to buy less house or compromise on the finish. That's just all there is to it. My non-updated house would go for $300k easy.

As for Garland...like any other suburb...there are nice areas and not-so-nice areas. It's such a massive suburb that it's hard to make broad statements about it. There are parts of Garland that you couldn't pay me to live in. Other neighborhoods are gorgeous. I don't know enough about it to say whether the area you're looking in is nice.

BTW, I don't like the idea of commuting to Uptown from Richardson; I can't even imagine how painful it'd be from Garland, having to join 75 either from PGBT or 635. Yuck!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 AM

Thank you! How do you define small? We are renting a house right now that is not quite 1100 square feet and it's definitely too small. I have no desire for a huge home like all the new builds I see popping up, I'd like to be at around 1800 sq ft? Maybe a little bigger if we decide to have another child? Regarding the challenge of renovations, our son has dealt with health issues since he was born in February so we are even more overwhelmed with doctors appointments and hospital visits than most new parents, that's what I think would be too much.

Any areas you can think of where the commute would be less painful? My family is scattered over the metroplex so it's been hard to make a decision based on that. The cousin (who I am very close to and is also pregnant now) in Richardson, my parents are in Southlake, aunt and uncle in Rockwall, etc. I'm trying to convince my parents to move closer this way but my dad works in Irving so his drive on 114 is pretty painless every morning. But they have enough money they could find something much more easily than us in any area.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:05 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,152,421 times
Quote:
My family is scattered over the metroplex so it's been hard to make a decision based on that. The cousin (who I am very close to and is also pregnant now) in Richardson, my parents are in Southlake, aunt and uncle in Rockwall, etc. I'm trying to convince my parents to move closer this way but my dad works in Irving so his drive on 114 is pretty painless every morning. But they have enough money they could find something much more easily than us in any area.
I don't have any location recommendations, but I'd caution you against making a choice based on family location. I'm assuming you won't be visiting your family daily, right? But you will be commuting to work daily. You already know how limited your time is with your kids during the week (I have 2 young children), and I would think twice about living somewhere further out just because it's a little more convenient to family that you might visit a few times a month, if that. Pick what works for your commute and your needs.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:24 AM

937 posts, read 2,894,144 times
OP, if you are looking in 75044, you might as well look into Richardson east of 75 as well.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I don't have any location recommendations, but I'd caution you against making a choice based on family location. I'm assuming you won't be visiting your family daily, right? But you will be commuting to work daily. You already know how limited your time is with your kids during the week (I have 2 young children), and I would think twice about living somewhere further out just because it's a little more convenient to family that you might visit a few times a month, if that. Pick what works for your commute and your needs.
Thank you. I agree, and I'm definitely considering commute/school district first (though apparently the areas I thought would have a good commute apparently might not...), but I probably do spend more time with my parents than the average 28 year old, we're super close and my husband loves them. And I would love to be close enough to my cousin that we could meet at a park after work with our kids or have dinner on weeknights. We do it sometimes already but not as much as I would like.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
OP, if you are looking in 75044, you might as well look into Richardson east of 75 as well.
Really? I have been cautioned that the schools aren't as good and the neighborhoods aren't as nice as west Richardson but if it's better/equal to Garland I definitely won't discount it. We unfortunately have not had much time to drive around and explore areas so I'm going mainly off recommendations, maps, and google streetview.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 AM

9,545 posts, read 7,002,302 times
My advice is to not worry too much about the finishes. This is your (first?) house.
You won't get everything you want, design wise, on your first house, especially not in this kind of market.

A good location will bring you a much better return on your investment when you "move up" in a few years, at which point you will be able to afford more of your design preferences.

Think of your first few houses as stepping stones.

Besides, eventually you can change all the finishes, if you are patient. You cannot change the location.

ETA: Asking your parents to move seems rather odd to me. I'm not sure why you would ask them that?

Old 11-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
My advice is to not worry too much about the finishes. This is your (first?) house.
You won't get everything you want, design wise, on your first house, especially not in this kind of market.

A good location will bring you a much better return on your investment when you "move up" in a few years, at which point you will be able to afford more of your design preferences.

Think of your first few houses as stepping stones.

Besides, eventually you can change all the finishes, if you are patient. You cannot change the location.
You're right, and I definitely have a tendency to recoil when I see some of these crazy design choices. Unfortunately this is not our first home. We owned in South Carolina and had a gorgeous, brand new home for less than $1000 a month. I almost wish I hadn't owned it so now my expectations wouldn't be so high! Everyone talks about how Dallas has such a cheap COL, and compared to other huge cities I guess it does, but man coming from a normal town it just gives you sticker shock.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:40 AM

937 posts, read 2,894,144 times
Quote:
Really? I have been cautioned that the schools aren't as good and the neighborhoods aren't as nice as west Richardson but if it's better/equal to Garland I definitely won't discount it. We unfortunately have not had much time to drive around and explore areas so I'm going mainly off recommendations, maps, and google streetview.
Yes specifically 75082 zip code in Richardson. Not sure if there is anything in your price range but it is just north of 75044 and has great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: