Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:56 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno how long "The Woodlands" have been around, but I remember visiting
that area way back in the 80s when I lived in the Houston area, and it seemed to be a well established community even way back then.
It was founded in 1974.

The Woodlands, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,875 times
I have lived in both Houston and the Dallas suburbs. A few points that illustrate the differences:
1) The climate is better in Dallas. It is drier, sunnier. It is quite a bit cooler in the winter with occasional ice storms, but still fairly mild.
2) Much nicer development and land use in Dallas and suburbs. Nearly all parts of the metroplex are within a city with decent city services, zoning, etc. Many areas of the Houston Metro area are in inincorporated areas with very poor land use, no zoning and lousy city services. (eg: MUD districts for utilities -virtually unknown outside of the Houston area)
3) Houston is more international and is more ethnically diverse. Dallas is not lacking in this area, but is not as international or diverse as Houston
4) There seem to be more transplants from regions beyond Texas and the south in the Dallas area. Dallas attracts people from across America, particularly the midwest and west coast, more so than Houston. Many of the national (non international) transplants to the Houston area are Southerners. There are a significant number of transplants from across America in Houston, just not as many as Dallas.
5) Dallas and Houston are comparable when it comes to cultural amenites. I may give a slight edge to Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, as you have a greater number of cultural amenities in the suburbs (ie - Courtyard Theatre, Plano; Eisenmann Center, Richardson) and in Fort Worth with the Bass Hall, the Kimball Art Museum. Nearly all of the cultural amenities in the Houston area appear to be in Downtown Houston
6) In Houston, it's nice to have access to the beaches and bays. Better lakes around Dallas.
7) Better recreational amenities, such as bike trails, parks, recreation centers in and around Dallas and suburbs
8) The people of Houston appear friendlier, more laid back, more festive, more down to earth.
9) Slight edge to Dallas for restaurants, evening entertainment, but both cities are good in this area.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
This thread is almost a year old. I don't see any need to revive it. Perform a search and you'll find 3,000 other threads on the same subject. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas