U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM

86 posts, read 260,003 times
Default Is there a "Dog Whisperer" in the Dallas area???

Looking for a trainer or training facility in the area that trains dogs
with behavioral problems and aggression. Im looking for someplace
that I could drop off the dog for a few weeks for training.

If anyone has seen the '"Dog Whisperer" on tv thats what Im looking for.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:49 PM

3,930 posts, read 8,717,910 times
"Man's Best Friend" is I believe in Richardson. I have friends that have used them for behavior issues.

Naima

Old 03-20-2008, 04:51 PM

2,930 posts, read 4,347,164 times
K9 University in Garland and Plano has services where you board them and they are trained... of course it only works if you follow up afterwards with weekly training to reenforce the behavior techniques... a good part of dog training is people training once the dog is made to understand the rules.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 PM

2,760 posts, read 5,220,531 times
I have a friend that uses Blue Sky Pets.

Blue Sky Pets

Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 AM

415 posts, read 1,121,491 times
We're going to have Kathi O'Malley come to our house in a couple of weeks, but she's given us a few things to work on in the interim. Talk 2 the Paw - Home Page

I was very impressed with her positive reinforcement approach and understanding of canine behaviors. Her methods are flexible, so I know she'll get to know our dogs and not just do the same thing she did with the last dog, whether it worked or not.

However, YOUR motivation needs to be doing what's best for the dog, not just getting it to 'obey'. Quite honestly, you're just wasting your money sending a dog off to a training camp. All he will learn is to work with the person who trained him and you will still have all the problems you had before you shelled out for his vacation.

If you're not willing to invest time and attention with your dog, please give him up to a family who is.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 4,347,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
However, YOUR motivation needs to be doing what's best for the dog, not just getting it to 'obey'. Quite honestly, you're just wasting your money sending a dog off to a training camp. All he will learn is to work with the person who trained him and you will still have all the problems you had before you shelled out for his vacation.
Sorta... the training will be worthless if it's not followed up by the owner... BUT some dogs require a lot of work upfront before the owner works with the dog.

We paid a little extra for training because at worst it would give the dogs more attention while they were being boarded while we were on a cruise last year. Our one dog picked up on it quickly and he obeyed us from the start, while our other dog required a few extra days just to make minimal progress.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 PM

86 posts, read 260,003 times
CallmeLaura..... why so harsh?? Im simply asking a question. Our dog has been trained on the invisible fence, been in a Canine University program, as well as I have been there the entire time too. Our dog is still showing aggressive behaviors and growling at my children's friends. I am trying to have him become "more socialized" around people other than family members.

So as Ive already spent 3k on our dog in the last 2yrs I wont simply
give him to another family.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:33 AM

415 posts, read 1,121,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulip66 View Post
CallmeLaura..... why so harsh?? Im simply asking a question. Our dog has been trained on the invisible fence, been in a Canine University program, as well as I have been there the entire time too. Our dog is still showing aggressive behaviors and growling at my children's friends. I am trying to have him become "more socialized" around people other than family members.

So as Ive already spent 3k on our dog in the last 2yrs I wont simply
give him to another family.
Because every day I see people mistreating their dogs. Your post didn't indicate you'd done anything with the dog up until the point you decided to send him off to someone else to 'fix'. I absolutely support doing whatever it takes to ensure the dog and family are happy together.

Another reason is that Cesar Milan is not a dog *whisperer*, but a dog *shouter*. Aggression towards an aggressive dog makes it worse. He's been bitten hard enough to draw blood, which to me, is a really bad sign. Even worse, one of his own show producers sued him for animal abuse.

Your dog is probably being protective of your child, not randomly aggressive to kids. (Kids also look a lot like prey to some dogs, especially if they weren't socialized around kids. Our boy will bark when they make sudden movements (and when don't they?) but the girl is more laid back.)

Try these resources - Understanding Aggressive Behavior in Dogs (http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/dog-agg.pdf - broken link) and Nothing in Life is Free (http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/nilif.pdf - broken link)

Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 AM

2,760 posts, read 5,220,531 times
tulip -

What type of dog do you have?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:31 PM

2,221 posts, read 6,198,521 times
As the mom of a child who has gotten bitten (in the face) by a friend's dog, please put the dog away in a kennel or somewhere were the dog won't be in contact w/your child's friends when they are visiting. I'm glad you are willing to train your dog, it sounds like he is protective of your family. Maybe a vet can give you advice on where to take him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas