Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The OP has no children at this time so is 12+ years out from needing anything beyond elementary. Good commute for parental units during the first 12 years of a child’s life where the family has more time together is immeasurably valuable. I did the crazy long commutes during those years in my kids’ life and it is one of my deepest regrets.....coming home beat down and late.
Very good advice. And given OP is just starting a medical career, they could end up with a very different budget for housing and/or private schools by the time schools matter.

Kyam11 has already established on literally every thread he posts in that in his not-humble opinion, Southlake is the only place in DFW that isn't a crime ridden cesspool with inferior schools,..and that he would rather be living in Malibu anyway. He considers the neighborhoods where literally ever one of Dallas' BiLLIONAIRES live to be beneath his high standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Check Santa Monica to Pasadena
Check Simi Valley to Beverly Hills
Check Pasadena to Downey
Check Long Beach to Santa Ana
Check Torrance to Thousand Oaks.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 AM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Very good advice. And given OP is just starting a medical career, they could end up with a very different budget for housing and/or private schools by the time schools matter.

Kyam11 has already established on literally every thread he posts in that in his not-humble opinion, Southlake is the only place in DFW that isn't a crime ridden cesspool with inferior schools,..and that he would rather be living in Malibu anyway. He considers the neighborhoods where literally ever one of Dallas' BiLLIONAIRES live to be beneath his high standards.
Interesting. I didn't mention Southlake once. I mentioned Frisco and Mckinney. I also mentioned Plano, Coppell, and Keller. That does not fit your agenda though to speak the truth.

However if income and school needs might change in the next 5-8 years renting might be a better option. Also the richest person in DFW lives in Fort Worth. 2 lies in one post. Impressive.

Last edited by kyam11; 12-08-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Just randomly (I'm checking something else on the LA map right now). Santa Monica - Long Beach, 30 miles, 41minutes currently. It is 9:20 there.

I'm not going to argue that traffic in LA or Bay Area is good. But it is not really much better here. Especially if we are talking DNT or 75 type of commute.
We have a place right at 15 miles from SFO near Broadway and Jones........it takes and hour often. It's pushing 10AM there now and that drive is 38 minutes. 101 is jammed when the Tollway, 635 and 75 would be mostly clear. Right now from my house to DFW is 19 miles and 22 minutes and it would have been about that 2 hours ago.

I've spent a lot of time out there. Claiming like commutes between the Bay Area or LA and Dallas are time similar is absurd.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:01 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We have a place right at 15 miles from SFO near Broadway and Jones........it takes and hour often. It's pushing 10AM there now and that drive is 38 minutes. 101 is jammed when the Tollway, 635 and 75 would be mostly clear. Right now from my house to DFW is 19 miles and 22 minutes and it would have been about that 2 hours ago.

I've spent a lot of time out there. Claiming commutes between the Bay Area or LA and Dallas are similar is absurd.
I disagree, depends on the commutes and which highways. I've driven plenty of times in Bay Area and LA, in rush hour. I'm not saying it is good. However, it is not much better here.

635 is reasonably good after the changes, if using toll lanes. DNT is a terrible mess.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:18 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I disagree, depends on the commutes and which highways. I've driven plenty of times in Bay Area and LA, in rush hour. I'm not saying it is good. However, it is not much better here.

635 is reasonably good after the changes, if using toll lanes. DNT is a terrible mess.
Well sure if you are picking and choosing which commutes to compare you can rig the outcomes to fit your narrative.

DNT is also under construction.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:33 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Well sure if you are picking and choosing which commutes to compare you can rig the outcomes to fit your narrative.

DNT is also under construction.

You were also giving specific examples, what's different.

I would agree that years ago Dallas traffic was significantly better than LA/SF. And there was a clear reverse commute, that's pretty much gone now. In the evenings you can often see SB DNT in worse shape than NB.

Yes, DNT is under construction. Unfortunately, they can't really expand it much due to space limitations, so by the time it is finally over, the growth will take care of any additional capacity.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:52 PM

57 posts, read 57,235 times
Wow. I don’t know what else to say. I’m a bit surprised what has become of my thread in the last two days.

Thank you everyone who has offered ideas for me to research. What one of you mentioned is correct, we do not have kids yet but are planning on it right away. This means that while I want to live in an area with good families and good schools, schools are not the top priority for another five years. Also just because I have lived in both LA and SF doesn’t mean I am ok with sitting in traffic for two hours every day. My life is better spent at home with my family.

I understand that I will not be able to get everything I asked for. I figured if I threw out my ideal choices that people would be able to give me some possible places with various compromises on my list.

I do plan on visiting several times before purchasing something. I was just looking for an idea of where to look when I come visit.

I would also like to say that just because I live in Cupertino does not mean I am from Cupertino or that I support the way people think here. In fact one of the main reasons that make me happy to move is how much I DISAGREE with the entitled attitude of people around here.

I am a small town girl who appreciates friendly neighbors and realistic standards. I want to get away from the people who think they are better than everyone. So thank you to those of you who did not turn my post into a battle for who is better but instead just kindly offered advice.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:41 PM

31 posts, read 46,392 times
As previously suggested, Little Forest Hills, Casa Linda or Casa View may work for you (not huge lots though) and the Disney streets are very nice. What you are getting there that is not necessarily apparent from looking online is a pretty strong sense of community. You may also want to look at the Caruth Terrace neighborhood in East Dallas north of Mockingbird Lane. Mostly small ranch homes but many are zoned to Stonewall Jackson elementary which is well regarded so the homes hold their value. Best of luck. Also, there is no reason to move to Dallas and spend over an hour commuting each way.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:03 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Quote:
As previously suggested, Little Forest Hills, Casa Linda or Casa View may work for you (not huge lots though) and the Disney streets are very nice. What you are getting there that is not necessarily apparent from looking online is a pretty strong sense of community. You may also want to look at the Caruth Terrace neighborhood in East Dallas north of Mockingbird Lane. Mostly small ranch homes but many are zoned to Stonewall Jackson elementary which is well regarded so the homes hold their value. Best of luck. Also, there is no reason to move to Dallas and spend over an hour commuting each way.
If you want close and not cookie cutter, this would be your best bet. We used to live in the M Streets when my husband was in med school--it's great, but the commute is still significant, especially the further away you get from 75. We have since moved to Coppell and he is still there--honestly the commute didn't increase all that much with the move.

Big question--do you intend to move when your children hit elementary school or are you trying to buy a place for the long haul?

If you think you might move, then you've been given lots of suggestions for great areas.

If not, I think you should really check out Coppell. LOTS of medical families (including ours) end up here--it's simply the combination of the best schools (K-12) closest to the med center. Of course, this isn't including the Park Cities, which just isn't in the budget for most people. Literally the two newest acquaintances of mine have husbands working at UTSW--we met at the local library and elementary school, so it wasn't the medical connection that caused the meeting. Coppell IS cookie cutter, but there is some really nice mature housing stock in beautiful neighborhoods with mature trees that you might like--Northlake Woodlands is at the top of that list. It is somewhat unique among the suburbs in that it is smaller and has very defined boundaries, so there is a strong sense of community and a decent bit of local businesses as far as shops and restaurants go.

Commute is 25 min in the AM and 30-45 coming home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas