U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 04:24 PM

399 posts, read 208,081 times

Advertisements

It looks like my hubby and I will be moving to Dallas in the near future. His office will be in south Dallas in the area of William Blair Jr Park. I'm thinking our best option is to live in Ellis county for his commute. How does Ovilla/Midlothian rate as far as crime, shopping, etc...?

We will rent at first with plans to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 05:34 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,427,152 times
Midlothian and Ovilla are low crime areas and very nice communities

Old 12-18-2017, 04:27 PM

399 posts, read 208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Midlothian and Ovilla are low crime areas and very nice communities
Thank you for the response.

We really like the Rockwall area. Would Rockwall be a torturous commute for him? I know everyone says traffic is horrible in Dallas (to be honest, it's ridiculous here and only getting worse), but what would the commute be from Rockwall. I keep looking at TxDOT traffic cams and it looks like it gets congested but clears pretty quickly. Is this the case or is it usually constant stop & go?

Old 12-18-2017, 04:35 PM

I’m not familiar with the commute between Rockwall and S.Dallas. Rockwall is very nice. You might also check out Sunnyvale. Hear good things about it and its a closer commute.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:42 PM

11,972 posts, read 22,290,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
Thank you for the response.

We really like the Rockwall area. Would Rockwall be a torturous commute for him? I know everyone says traffic is horrible in Dallas (to be honest, it's ridiculous here and only getting worse), but what would the commute be from Rockwall. I keep looking at TxDOT traffic cams and it looks like it gets congested but clears pretty quickly. Is this the case or is it usually constant stop & go?
Rockwall is probably about a 45 minute commute. The tricky thing with Rockwall (which is one of my very favorite suburbs) is that commuting info Dallas required driving on a bridge over Lake Ray Hubbard. One wreck and you're trapped on the bridge with no alt route.

Sunnyvale is a nice bedroom community with good public schools and is on the Dallas side of the lake. It would prob be more like a 25-30 minute commute. There's not much in Sunnyvale itself but it's right next to Rockwall and Mesquite. Between those two is everything you could possibly need. Our friends who live in Sunnyvale go into Dallas almost every weekend for fun stuff with their kids or date nights. It's 15-20 min max to downtown on a Saturday.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,740,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Rockwall is probably about a 45 minute commute. The tricky thing with Rockwall (which is one of my very favorite suburbs) is that commuting info Dallas required driving on a bridge over Lake Ray Hubbard. One wreck and you're trapped on the bridge with no alt route.

Sunnyvale is a nice bedroom community with good public schools and is on the Dallas side of the lake. It would prob be more like a 25-30 minute commute. There's not much in Sunnyvale itself but it's right next to Rockwall and Mesquite. Between those two is everything you could possibly need. Our friends who live in Sunnyvale go into Dallas almost every weekend for fun stuff with their kids or date nights. It's 15-20 min max to downtown on a Saturday.

I live in Rowlett and have seen the effects of this very thing. Sunnyvale is nice. Personally, I would go south of the loop, Red Oak .

Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,713,590 times
Sunnyvale? Is it still as racist today?
https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...n-north-texas/

Old 12-19-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Sunnyvale now has Riverston Trails which is low income housing.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:25 AM

562 posts, read 390,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
I haven't spent much time in Sunnyvale, but this article from a few years ago is very confusing. Sunnyvale is about 62% White, 25% Asian, 9% Hispanic, and 3% black. Not much different from Plano, Allen, etc. "Whitest Town"? Pretty sure that is HP/UP.

Sunnyvale, and their opposition to low income housing, seems to me to be no different than any other middle class suburban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or