Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:08 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Don’t live in Terrell. Trust me. The low performing schools attract a lot of other undesirables...

You might consider renting for a year until you’re more familiar with the area, too.
Terrell ISD schools are about average. Not high performing, but not low as you stated. You're basing your opinion on some old stereotypes about Terrell. Look into the growth rate of Terrell and increase in property values.

I can say the same thing about Dallas based on the overall Dallas ISD performance. By the way, University Park, Preston Hollow, East Dallas (Lakewood / Lake Highlands) etc are all in Dallas ISD, yet people are paying upwards of a few million for homes in the above mentioned areas.

Have a good day!

Old 12-28-2017, 10:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Terrell ISD schools are about average. Not high performing, but not low as you stated. You're basing your opinion on some old stereotypes about Terrell. Look into the growth rate of Terrell and increase in property values.

I can say the same thing about Dallas based on the overall Dallas ISD performance. By the way, University Park, Preston Hollow, East Dallas etc are all in Dallas ISD, yet people are paying upwards of a few million for homes in the above mentioned areas.

Have a good day!
University Park is not DISD, it's HPISD.

Also, people in Preston Hollow usually send their kids to private school.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
University Park is not DISD, it's HPISD.

Also, people in Preston Hollow usually send their kids to private school.
You're right, parts of UP are served by HPISD and parts by DISD.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You're right, parts of UP are served by HPISD and parts by DISD.
Isn't it just the parts west of DNT that are DISD? I thought I read that somewhere.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
And Lake Highlands is Richardson ISD, not DISD.

We each have our own opinions...

Old 12-28-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Isn't it just the parts west of DNT that are DISD? I thought I read that somewhere.
"University Park east of North Central Expressway is in the Dallas Independent School District.[11][12]"
-Wikipedia

Old 12-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
"University Park east of North Central Expressway is in the Dallas Independent School District.[11][12]"
-Wikipedia
Good to know, thanks. I Googled around for a boundaries map for HPISD and couldn't find one.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:24 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Quote:
And Lake Highlands is Richardson ISD, not DISD.

We each have our own opinions...
And some of us have facts too

Old 12-31-2017, 06:52 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaherbgirl View Post
Good Morning,

I wouldn't live or buy anything in Mesquite; there and Oak Cliff seem to have the most crime on the morning news every morning in the Dallas area.

I have been house hunting, looking between $175k and $200k and it will be a real challenge to find any-thing. But, with that said - I am in the far north Dallas area and I have been looking to Forney because I have found several decent properties in that area. [Mod cut: City Data does not permit posts containing realtor advertising or solicitation of business.]

I can live anywhere in the State with my job and I love the area between Dallas and Tyler; I like the green and trees and space. But, as with any big city the further away from the actual big city the better. I am actually online this morning looking toward Tyler and toward Waco (too far for you to go for Mesquite).

One other thing you'll want to ask around before buying about is....there is extra maintenance concerns with Texas homes. People water their foundation(s) weekly to prevent cracking and I have been told you want to buy a house built on rocks, not sand to prevent foundation problems. There seem to be a lot of foundation issues - I would encourage you to be informed before you buy.

Congrats on the new job and good luck on finding your new home!

Ok you were good until you said people water their foundations "WEEKLY"! THAT is as BOGUS a statement as I've seen on City-Data. There certainly areas were soil type impacts the slab but that's not consistent with everyday home ownership in Texas. BTW, I have some professional history with homebuilders in Texas.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:46 PM

385 posts, read 488,917 times
Quote:
Look in Rockwall and Forney. Both are close enough to Mesquite for a fairly easy commute and they will have some homes in your budget. Rowlett may also work for you, although home prices there may be above your budget.

I grew up in Mesquite but I can’t recommend that you live there. The town is starting to go downhill: home values are declining, crime is increasing, and the schools are nowhere nearly as good as they used to be. Garland is experiencing similar problems. Anything south of Mesquite (Seagoville, Balch Springs, Lancaster) hasn’t been a good area for a long time.
Mentioning Lancaster in this post shows how little knowledge you have of the southern part of the metroplex. Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: