Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Charlotte to raise a family?
Dallas 13 43.33%
Charlotte 17 56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2018, 06:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Ok, but we just moved last August. With the exception your point about the HT in Davidson, I doubt it has changed much since then.

One problem is the infrastructure can't keep pace with the home building. There are new grocery stores being built, mostly thanks to Publix, but so much new retail is just new fast food. How many Bojangles and car washes do people need? There aren't enough major shopping centers or schools to keep up.

485 has helped a ton, and the improvements to CLT should be nice. Otherwise, builders just keep clear cutting land and throwing up tract houses as fast as they can.
You basically just described the Dallas exurbs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 10:15 AM

533 posts, read 642,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORJK81 View Post
That's a fair question and I can answer that in confidence.

If we moved to Dallas:
My wife would be happy since she has access to a very large Korean community (she lived in Korea a lot longer than here where as I grew up in the US). There would be more things to do with just her and my daughter and new friends with kids while I'm at work. She just prefers more people and buildings around her. I would be miserable commuting to work due to the traffic and finding a parking spot where no one would dent my car. I am not a social person and do not like many people around me, especially in public. Depending on how we mutually like the area, it may end up being short term (3-4 years?).

If we moved to Charlotte:
I would be very happy due to the work environment, less traffic, and overall scenery. My wife would be bored unless she can make new friends from a Korean church and find someone who has similar aged kids to hang out with. However, I can make that up by actively doing more activities during the weekends with the family and sending our daughter to a private preschool full time during the weekdays. Due to the job security and less stress, I feel like it may end up being a longer term stay (5+ years).

This is a tough decision indeed. I will tell you though that Dallas has a very large Korean community and it will definitely be good for your wife. More Churches, better social life and more food options too. Traffic issue can be circumvented for the most part by choosing where to live but overall scenery wise Dallas will not hold a candle against Charlotte. I initially thought Charlotte would have been better for you but I think Dallas might be better overall for your family. Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:45 AM

529 posts, read 490,972 times
New here, but will throw my .02 cents in. Work with your wife on getting friends in Charlotte. For about four years, I was transferred to a different location at my job that ended up being a 1+ hour drive each way (on a good day). The toll that it takes on you is measurable, while not outwardly always seeable, it is there. And when you throw in the time to get ready, possible traffic...etc, that mean less hours a day to be with your family. And your first day off, you will not be excited to drive anywhere. I missed a lot of stuff during that time with my kids that I still regret today.

Mark

Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You basically just described the Dallas exurbs.
Maybe in part.

But you know what? At the end of my neighborhood, the city is improving a park. They are building a pavilion, a shaded playground, a concessions stand, volleyball, basketball, and 3 baseball fields. There are bike trails everywhere. I don't think this area gets enough credit for things like that.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:14 AM

48 posts, read 257,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORJK81 View Post
I would like to also add that I will take an initial hit on real estate agent fee and trucking if I move to charlotte since they don't offer much of a relocation package. But then again the job is a lot less demanding/stressful and more secure. One in charlotte is more of an R&D job whereas the one in dallas is implementation of programs and strategies across 70 plants and this requires many face time with the plant managers and influence.
Not sure if the relocation package and sign on bonus is of huge significance if you are planning to stay in the job for a long time. The very fact that you seem confident that the Charlotte job is less stressful/demanding could go a long way in your day to day happiness, especially the quality time you can spend with your family.

America is a great county with a lot of diversity and good people. And I am sure you/your family will make friends wherever you go and have a great time, especially when you are not stressed ;-)

Old 01-31-2018, 12:17 PM

23 posts, read 28,864 times
If you prefer greenery, close to other major states (mountains/beaches) and prefer not to fly then Charlotte. Dallas is more upscale to me, its flat with beautiful brick homes. Lots of things to do with tons of shopping. Im from Dallas and lived in Charlotte. I love Charlotte but I love Dallas more. Food scence dallas wins/entertainment dallas wins/quality of life is a toss up. Honestly you have to go with the less streesful one because at the end of the day your health is valuble.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:06 PM

31 posts, read 46,367 times
You have lots of really good feedback here. You and your spouse should probably spend a few days here and a few days in Charlotte if at all possible. A day or two in Plano/Coppell will not give you a good sense of the city. A couple of comments:

1. You may be entirely correct about the job security of the Charlotte position, but if you're wrong, which has the better job market for your industry? Dallas is hard to beat for most industries but not all. The average length of a job keeps getting shorter and if your safe bet turns out to be not-so-safe, what then?

2. I love the scenery of the southeast and struggle with DFW's lack of natural beauty, however, there is a Korean community here and on a day-to-day basis, will that be something that is more meaningful to your wife and you both?

Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM

80 posts, read 96,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camj10 View Post
You have lots of really good feedback here. You and your spouse should probably spend a few days here and a few days in Charlotte if at all possible. A day or two in Plano/Coppell will not give you a good sense of the city. A couple of comments:

1. You may be entirely correct about the job security of the Charlotte position, but if you're wrong, which has the better job market for your industry? Dallas is hard to beat for most industries but not all. The average length of a job keeps getting shorter and if your safe bet turns out to be not-so-safe, what then?

2. I love the scenery of the southeast and struggle with DFW's lack of natural beauty, however, there is a Korean community here and on a day-to-day basis, will that be something that is more meaningful to your wife and you both?
I appreciate this response and both points are definitely important think about.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:31 PM

194 posts, read 156,294 times
The flat DFWers have evidently never been between dt Dallas and dt Fort Worth. What's between there rivals any topography in Charlotte. So does northeast Dallas for that matter.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:32 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
The flat DFWers have evidently never been between dt Dallas and dt Fort Worth. What's between there rivals any topography in Charlotte. So does northeast Dallas for that matter.
Sure--western Flower Mound is beautiful and my parents live on a beautiful wooded hillside 1 acre lot in Argyle--and they paid a pretty penny for it. Unless you happen to work near some of hillier areas, you are going to pay in distance or a lot premium to actually live in that setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas