Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 PM

21 posts, read 17,921 times

Advertisements

I'm single with no kids so I really want to be somewhere where I can rent from an apartment because even renting a house is out of my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 AM

554 posts, read 683,959 times
Have you thought about looking into private schools? We have a number of good private schools for kiddos with learning differences and special needs. They also tend to prefer candidates with master's degrees from what I've heard, so that might help you out. Private schools aren't handcuffed in the same way as public schools with regard to certification issues, so they are often more flexible in that regard.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:45 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo719 View Post
I'm single with no kids so I really want to be somewhere where I can rent from an apartment because even renting a house is out of my budget.
Apartment rent in decent DFW neighborhoods averages as much as a mortgage these days, so depending on the area you choose to live in, you might just decide that it's better to just go ahead and rent a house.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 02-08-2018 at 07:28 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 07:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
Have you thought about looking into private schools? We have a number of good private schools for kiddos with learning differences and special needs. They also tend to prefer candidates with master's degrees from what I've heard, so that might help you out. Private schools aren't handcuffed in the same way as public schools with regard to certification issues, so they are often more flexible in that regard.
They also dont pay as well as public ones and can be a negative if u want to move to public schools later

Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
They also dont pay as well as public ones and can be a negative if u want to move to public schools later
Both of those statements are true, but ESPECIALLY the fact that private schools pay less--and often, quite a bit less---than pubic schools. And as DFW stands now with its quickly increasing cost of living, a single teacher with REGULAR school pay can hardly afford to live in decent areas that aren't bad or sketchy. So I definitely wouldn't move to expensive DFW and take the pay cut that a private school will surely give you.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 AM

554 posts, read 683,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Both of those statements are true, but ESPECIALLY the fact that private schools pay less--and often, quite a bit less---than pubic schools. And as DFW stands now with its quickly increasing cost of living, a single teacher with REGULAR school pay can hardly afford to live in decent areas that aren't bad or sketchy. So I definitely wouldn't move to expensive DFW and take the pay cut that a private school will surely give you.
I'm not arguing with your points, but not all private schools are created equally. Some (like ours) are quite competitive with DISD and PISD in terms of base salary. I don't know what our school's "max" salary is for teachers, and it's likely there could be a difference there. However, in general, Dallas privates have MUCH more time off (the more you pay, the less you go, lol), which could provide for tutoring or babysitting opportunities that could increase annual income substantially. We have a friend who is a teacher at one of the areas most respected LD schools. She gets paid $50K just for the summer to tutor/nanny one child and was hired because she teaches at this specialized private school. So, while I'll agree that privates typically pay less and moving to public from private can be challenging, it doesn't mean that OP couldn't find a way to make up for the difference, especially being single and having no kids. It's not a guarantee and requires some luck/hustling, but I wouldn't rule it out based on salary alone - especially if the school is a good fit in terms of environment.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I'm not arguing with your points, but not all private schools are created equally. Some (like ours) are quite competitive with DISD and PISD in terms of base salary. I don't know what our school's "max" salary is for teachers, and it's likely there could be a difference there. However, in general, Dallas privates have MUCH more time off (the more you pay, the less you go, lol), which could provide for tutoring or babysitting opportunities that could increase annual income substantially. We have a friend who is a teacher at one of the areas most respected LD schools. She gets paid $50K just for the summer to tutor/nanny one child and was hired because she teaches at this specialized private school. So, while I'll agree that privates typically pay less and moving to public from private can be challenging, it doesn't mean that OP couldn't find a way to make up for the difference, especially being single and having no kids. It's not a guarantee and requires some luck/hustling, but I wouldn't rule it out based on salary alone - especially if the school is a good fit in terms of environment.
I was just speaking in general, but I think what you are describing private school wise would be the equivalent of, say, a Highland Park public school wise; a VERY good position to get but also a VERY hard one to come by, unless you know someone on the inside or something. So to the OP, I still would focus on public schools versus private ones, from a pay standpoint if nothing else.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:10 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
I was just speaking in general, but I think what you are describing private school wise would be the equivalent of, say, a Highland Park public school wise; a VERY good position to get but also a VERY hard one to come by, unless you know someone on the inside or something. So to the OP, I still would focus on public schools versus private ones, from a pay standpoint if nothing else.
Then again, there aren't all that many of those schools so reaching out to them doesn't take a ton of time. The two paths don't have to be mutually exclusive. And I'd agree with the point about side income at private schools, but I'm not sure whether it would work for a special needs teacher (not saying it won't just saying that I don't know people teaching that subject so I have no idea).

Old 02-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I would rather stay in public schools because of my student loan repayments. I do t think you can get the same repayment programs if you work in private schools.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Apartment rent in decent DFW neighborhoods averages as much as a mortgage these days, so depending on the area you choose to live in, you might just decide that it's better to just go ahead and rent a house.
Apartments in DFW are way cheaper than trying to find an apartment in a decent neighborhood in Colorado Springs. Moving to Texas would be at least $10,000 a year payment increase for me so I'm looking for something that will be no more than $1,100 right now. I have looked at renting houses but that seems like it's going to run me at least $1,400 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas