U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,290,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORJK81 View Post
Are all lake highland area part of Richardson ISD?
There are some parts that are Dallas ISD. (Of course, the community lines are blurry so maybe some areas aren't really LH but people call them LH)

You might also check Lochwood. It is zoned to Dallas ISD/Reilly elementary. The school has a lot of parent involvement and is "up and coming" You can probably find a remodeled home in your price range (likely a 3/2/2) Zip is 75218 but google Lochwood Dallas, TX. The further away from Jupiter Rd, the better.
It would be an easy commute to Uptown.

I would say check Lake Highlands first, but see what there is in Lochwood if you come up dry. The area zoned to Dallas ISD/Hexter Elem is a great one, too.

Good luck with the move!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,617,910 times
Quote:
Hello folks!

So after going back and forth between Charlotte and Dallas, we chose Dallas. I would like to ask for your help on which area would be the best place to live for my family. I m 36 years old with 3 year old daughter, 30 year old wife and soon a newborn son. Here are some attributes to help align with the best place to live.

- Budget of $400K with $450K being a stretch for a house.
- Will be working near Uptown
- Looking for a very safe neighborhood
- New to "newish" neighborhood
- Would prefer 30 minute commute but can stretch at 45 minutes
- Trees and hills would be nice but know that that can be scarce

So far we looked at:
- Plano: What do you think of this area both east and west?
- Allen?
- Murphy?
- Coppell?
- Richardson (closer to Uptown but heard it has a 1980's feel to it)

Thanks!
Plano, Allen, and Murphy would all be crappy commutes to uptown. Don't know about Coppell but it seems like it wouldn't be great either.

Richardson to Uptown is the most do-able on that list but that commute still won't be fantastic. Richardson does not have an 80s feel to it. Most of the areas west of 75 (which is where you'd want to buy) in 75080 were built from the 1950s through the 1970s. Heights Park, Heights Park Estates, Waterview Preservation, The Reservation, and Canyon Creek are all beautiful and sought-after neighborhoods with excellent schools. Crime in my neighborhood is very low and is usually limited to people doing stupid things (like leaving valuables in cars parked on the streets or in driveways). Full disclosure: I live in Heights Park and a newly done-up house will run you anywhere from $350k to $450k and will almost certainly be below 2k sq ft with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and a 2-car garage. A good percentage of those garages are detached.

You won't find "newish" in that area unless you're willing to pay top dollar for new infill on a lot previously occupied by an old house. $450k won't get you a new house like that in 75080...try more like $600k-$800k south of Arapaho. They can go for over $1 million in Canyon Creek.

What you WILL find is that many houses for sale in that area have been gutted to the studs and renovated so their effective age is not 50-60 years old. Some fixer-uppers do come on the market but more and more often, it's investors buying them to flip them. You're not really in a position to have that kind of work done; it takes months and is very expensive.

If you want a newer neighborhood in Richardson, you'll have to go into the "panhandle" part of the city in northeast Richardson (along PGBT/190). Those houses will probably be out of your price range too, though; they're not cheap but they do have that red brick lofty foyer newness that you seem to be looking for. That would be at the limit or possibly beyond your "stretch" commute time...and keep in mind that you'd still be closer to Uptown than you would be in Plano, Murphy, or Allen.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:34 AM

3,682 posts, read 2,916,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Wouldn't that be at odds with your recommendation earlier in the thread of 75093?
I didn’t see his other thread before posting that recommendation. However, he seems okay with a 45 minute drive, in that case my recommendation is still reasonable, at least better than Murphy or Allen that he is looking at.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 AM

284 posts, read 219,650 times
There's the new University Place housing development in Dallas, on the border of Richardson. It's on the land that used to be owned by the A&M Extension Service.
University Place - Centurion American

The intro text is confusing, but it sounds like schools will be both Plano ISD and RISD. It says homes are in the $400s. How high, I don't know. It would be within a 45 minute commute to downtown.

My neighborhood not far away from there has homes that would meet all your criteria, except the newness. If you want new, it would be a teardown and much higher than $450. Check out 75248, but be aware that part of it mostly to the south is DISD, which you'd want to avoid.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:58 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,089,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
Check out 75248
I used to live in 75248. You're not getting ANYTHING in that area for 450k or less that doesn't need MAJOR work and updates. Also, in DFW, places that you might find that cheap in areas that are that centrally located quickly get snatched up by investors anyway and flipped at much higher prices.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:51 PM

80 posts, read 65,748 times
Thoughts on taking DART from Plano? It looks like a 35 minute ride. I was thinking 15 minute to the station from Allen/Murphy earlier in the morning.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:24 PM

80 posts, read 65,748 times
My prospective boss also just stated that hours are flexible so 6a - 3p, 7-4, 8-5 etc. as long as I make it to the meetings.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
My prospective boss also just stated that hours are flexible so 6a - 3p, 7-4, 8-5 etc. as long as I make it to the meetings.
Sure, until they start inviting you to meetings that start at 3pm when you arrived at work at 6am. If your company is anything like mine, you'll be delayed leaving the office at least twice a week.

You really need to consider living closer to the office.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,290,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sure, until they start inviting you to meetings that start at 3pm when you arrived at work at 6am. If your company is anything like mine, you'll be delayed leaving the office at least twice a week.

You really need to consider living closer to the office.
This x100. The people who come in at 8 or 9 have no awareness/respect for the folks who come in at 6. They just think you are leaving early every day.

ETA - there is nothing wrong with Plano but there are a lot of other options to put you closer to work. Don't get "sucked in" to the Plano-above-everything-else thing.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
This x100. The people who come in at 8 or 9 have no awareness/respect for the folks who come in at 6. They just think you are leaving early every day.

ETA - there is nothing wrong with Plano but there are a lot of other options to put you closer to work. Don't get "sucked in" to the Plano-above-everything-else thing.
Exactly...nothing wrong with Plano, but it's not special enough to warrant a 45+ minute commute every day.

There are other neighborhoods closer to the office where the OP could have a good quality of life and a better commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas