Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM

16 posts, read 30,530 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the responses, all. I'll look into these options. Wish us luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling75 View Post
Thanks so much for the responses, all. I'll look into these options. Wish us luck!
Good luck!

I don't think you will find Ft. Worth School of the Arts a viable option though, due to the nature of the application process. It's almost impossible coming from out of state.

Many of the regular high schools do offer dance as a fine arts option.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 AM

216 posts, read 344,049 times
I would also try around East Dallas - Woodrow Wilson and its feeder schools are great and are highly sought after. Also close to the city - so lots of options.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 785 times
You should consider Parish Episcopal School! Maybe it's not known for the arts but have a GREAT performing arts program -- my son just closed the school's production of HAIRSPRAY. Check out the website for more details. We've had a son and daughter at Parish for over a decade. It's a forward-thinking, inclusive, co-ed environment. Great curriculum and signature programs that have provided them a challenging but balanced education. They've participated in everything from sports to the arts and are not only college-ready but are HAPPY people of impact. I highly recommend Parish Episcopal School if you're seeking a positive k-12 experience.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:09 AM

16 posts, read 30,530 times
Hello again! Thanks so much for everyone's previous posts. We're planning to move to Dallas in July and are still in the hunt for schools/neighborhoods. And most likely the neighborhood we choose will be based on its schools. Given what we're looking for (homes around 400 – 450K in family friendly, culturally diverse neighborhood that have academically strong schools with fine arts and STEM options AND neighborhood has no more than a 30 min commute the UTSW), we’re considering Woodrow Wilson HS for the 14 yr old (who is a dancer) and its feeder elementary school for the 9 yr old (who loves STEM). A colleague also recommended that we consider Richardson and Carrollton-Farmers Branch schools. Based on what you guys know, would you prefer Woodrow Wilson HS and its feeder school, Richardson ISD schools, or Carrollton-Farmers Branch schools?

It’s tough to choose when you live so far away and know nothing about the areas and schools. Many thanks again for sharing your perspective—it lessens this mama’s anxiety level.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:59 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Hello again! Thanks so much for everyone's previous posts. We're planning to move to Dallas in July and are still in the hunt for schools/neighborhoods. And most likely the neighborhood we choose will be based on its schools. Given what we're looking for (homes around 400 – 450K in family friendly, culturally diverse neighborhood that have academically strong schools with fine arts and STEM options AND neighborhood has no more than a 30 min commute the UTSW), we’re considering Woodrow Wilson HS for the 14 yr old (who is a dancer) and its feeder elementary school for the 9 yr old (who loves STEM). A colleague also recommended that we consider Richardson and Carrollton-Farmers Branch schools. Based on what you guys know, would you prefer Woodrow Wilson HS and its feeder school, Richardson ISD schools, or Carrollton-Farmers Branch schools?

It’s tough to choose when you live so far away and know nothing about the areas and schools. Many thanks again for sharing your perspective—it lessens this mama’s anxiety level.
Several elementary schools fees to Woodrow. Stonewall and Lakewood are good for DISD. Lee is supposedly getting better but most people I know in E Dallas still would rather be zoned to Stonewall or LW. Lipscomb and Mt Auburn are questionable decisions in my opinion although I do know some families at Lipscomb who think it is fine for their kids.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:

My daughter is a junior at Woodrow. I think of your options, the East Dallas area will give you the best combination of schools and commute to UTSW. Woodrow has a strong dance program and a great musical every year. Too bad you can't come in this weekend to see the musical You might check out the school website -- woodrowwildcats.org (and everyone calls the school Woodrow) For a few years from now, the STEM program is very strong so you wouldn't have to find a different school for your son. The robotics program at both Woodrow and Long (middle school) are among the strongest in the city.

For your price range, you might have to look a little further out from Lakewood. The good news is that Woodrow is an academy school so any student can transfer in if their "home" school does not have the particular program. That would work for both Dance and STEM (among others) You might look in the areas to the east of the lake near Hexter Elementary. (you are probably price out of Lakewood Elem but still look) Zip codes are 75214 and 75218. For Elementary schools, I would focus on Lakewood, Stonewall Jackson and Hexter. Next round (for me) would be Lee, Lipscomb. I would not consider Mt. Auburn. Maybe one day, but not yet.

Good luck with your move!

Old 04-16-2018, 10:14 AM

59 posts, read 71,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
My daughter is a junior at Woodrow. I think of your options, the East Dallas area will give you the best combination of schools and commute to UTSW. Woodrow has a strong dance program and a great musical every year. Too bad you can't come in this weekend to see the musical You might check out the school website -- woodrowwildcats.org (and everyone calls the school Woodrow) For a few years from now, the STEM program is very strong so you wouldn't have to find a different school for your son. The robotics program at both Woodrow and Long (middle school) are among the strongest in the city.

For your price range, you might have to look a little further out from Lakewood. The good news is that Woodrow is an academy school so any student can transfer in if their "home" school does not have the particular program. That would work for both Dance and STEM (among others) You might look in the areas to the east of the lake near Hexter Elementary. (you are probably price out of Lakewood Elem but still look) Zip codes are 75214 and 75218. For Elementary schools, I would focus on Lakewood, Stonewall Jackson and Hexter. Next round (for me) would be Lee, Lipscomb. I would not consider Mt. Auburn. Maybe one day, but not yet.

Good luck with your move!
Agree with the sentiments here, but can a student initiate a transfer request as late as July (when the the OP plans to move)? I would be cautious about buying house zoned to Hexter and counting on attending Woodrow, unless you have confirmed with DISD that your daughter's transfer request will be approved for this fall. Maybe safer to stick with homes zoned to Woodrow.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenG1974 View Post
I would also try around East Dallas - Woodrow Wilson and its feeder schools are great and are highly sought after. Also close to the city - so lots of options.

One of Woodrow's four college preparatory academies is Creative and Performing Arts. Especially strong in drama, musical theater (performing Broadway shows annually since 1958) and dance (largest dance program in Dallas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas