Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 PM

16 posts, read 30,296 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is relocating to Dallas this summer for my husband's job. Our daughter is currently attending an academically strong performing arts high school in our city, and I'd like to find a comparable school for her in the Dallas area. There's Booker T. Washington, but by all accounts it is extremely difficult to get into. Are there any other academically strong performing arts high schools (public or private) in the Dallas area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:58 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,114,624 times
I'm not aware of any other performing arts high schools in the Dallas area, although there are dozens of strong schools with various strong arts departments, be it theatre or orchestra or dance. What is your daughter's talent? And how talented is she? Are you looking for a strong college prep school where she can continue a ballet or piano practice on the side, or is she Juilliard / Berklee School of Music / etc level of talent?

I believe there is also a small school in Plano that works with highly talented kids training for the Olympics and other very high level achievements. Olympic Gymnast Nastia Lukin graduated from there. If Booker T is a non-traditional high school, that one would be extremely non traditional.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:35 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,124,694 times
I don’t know anything about it but it’s an option.

https://www.coramdeoacademy.org/page...life/fine-arts

Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I'm not aware of any other performing arts high schools in the Dallas area, although there are dozens of strong schools with various strong arts departments, be it theatre or orchestra or dance. What is your daughter's talent? And how talented is she? Are you looking for a strong college prep school where she can continue a ballet or piano practice on the side, or is she Juilliard / Berklee School of Music / etc level of talent?

I believe there is also a small school in Plano that works with highly talented kids training for the Olympics and other very high level achievements. Olympic Gymnast Nastia Lukin graduated from there. If Booker T is a non-traditional high school, that one would be extremely non traditional.
She's a ballet/jazz/modern dance. TurtleCreek, you hit the nail on the head. We're really looking for a strong college prep high school where she can continue to dance on the side. I don't know much about DISD high schools or high schools in any of the surrounding areas that are good college prep high schools. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 02-10-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling75 View Post
She's a ballet/jazz/modern dance. TurtleCreek, you hit the nail on the head. We're really looking for a strong college prep high school where she can continue to dance on the side. I don't know much about DISD high schools or high schools in any of the surrounding areas that are good college prep high schools. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
That helps. There are so many wonderful dance studios around Dallas. Where will you be commuting for work? How long do you want to commute every day? Home budget? These answers will help us point you in the right direction.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
That helps. There are so many wonderful dance studios around Dallas. Where will you be commuting for work? How long do you want to commute every day? Home budget? These answers will help us point you in the right direction.
We'll be working at UTSW, and prefer a commute no longer than 25-30 minutes. Home budget will be around $400K. We'd love to be in a family-friendly diverse established neighborhood with trees! But academically strong schools for our oldest and youngest kid (9) are a huge priority for us. We've got 2-in-1 (academically strong + performing arts focus) at my oldest kid's current school. If we can send our kids to great schools and find a solid dance studio, we'd be happy.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:15 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,124,694 times
Ballet, Arts, Education | Chamberlain School of Ballet

This is the most popular ballet/jazz/dance place in this area.

For schooling, affluent ones attend St.Marks or Hockaday but others attend their public schools. For UTSW work location, nearest desirable public schools are in Highland Park, Plano, Richardson and Coppell.

For your budget, expensive privates and Highland Park are probably not going to work. You’ll be better off in Plano, Richardson and Coppell.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling75 View Post
We'll be working at UTSW, and prefer a commute no longer than 25-30 minutes. Home budget will be around $400K. We'd love to be in a family-friendly diverse established neighborhood with trees! But academically strong schools for our oldest and youngest kid (9) are a huge priority for us. We've got 2-in-1 (academically strong + performing arts focus) at my oldest kid's current school. If we can send our kids to great schools and find a solid dance studio, we'd be happy.
Richardson is kind of the midpoint between UTSW and the better dance studios. Pearce and Richardson HS are both great and have good feeder pattern schools.

Dance Industry in Plano trained 2 or 3 of the "fabulous 5" senior boys from Booker T who all got accepted to Juluiard last year. Next Step in Frisco is also a very good studio. Power House in Dallas is more jazz/hip hop but trained many professional dancers like Step Up's Jenna Dewan Tatum. We definitely don't lack for great dance studios in the Dallas area!

Old 02-11-2018, 04:59 PM

762 posts, read 1,183,532 times
Plano and Frisco have great dance schools. Dance Fx in Garland is also very good and a reasonable drive from many homes in RISD.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:26 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,452,421 times
These aren't in Dallas, but I've known a couple of kids that went there and seemed to excel vs their public school experience. People often seem to rag on charter schools, but I saw these kids in their element when they were outcasts at their old schools.

Fort Worth Academy of Fine Arts :: Fort Worth Academy of Fine Arts

Both the kids I knew that went there did not live close, so I'm thinking as with many of the specialized/private schools there must be car pooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas