Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
*Add Collin County parts of Dallas, Richardson, Garland and Carrollton to that list as well.
ROFL

I live in Dallas County so again, YOU'RE WELCOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Parkland HAS sent Collin County the bill before- it went ignored and unpaid.

The CoCo judge's quotes in that article are cringe-worthy. There is a LOT more poverty in CoCo than most people realize. When I worked for a large corporation in Plano, we were always getting calls from The Samaritan Inn (homeless shelter), Minnie's Food Pantry, a diaper bank, etc for donations of time and money. The businesses are great partners to these organizations who fill in the gap where the cities and counties don't.

And the Denton county poverty threshold quoted ($5700 for a family of 4) is absolutely disgusting. Because a family making $6000 a year can certainly afford rent, food, and healthcare.
Yes, it's disgusting. Collin County makes it almost impossible for low-income uninsured people to receive any kind of publicly-funded assistance so when the going gets tough, they send them down the road to freeload off Dallas County taxpayers.

Personally I'm tired of subsidizing not only Dallas County's poor but the poor from surrounding counties. Let Collin & Denton Counties pay for their own poor residents. Let them feel the pain.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:24 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Stop right there. High earners are hardly paying "more than their share" and certainly not now with the travesty of a tax bill just passed in Congress.

And because it's relevant, my husband and I are in the 39% bracket.

Good for you. Everyone pays according to their bracket and regardless of their county. However, there are more high earners in Collin County compared to Dallas County, higher property values so more property tax too and collectively we pay more taxes ( income, property, sales etc.).

Old 02-15-2018, 10:27 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
I am a high income earner and am in a very high tax bracket. I'm fine with paying more in taxes to help the poor go to school and have healthcare. It's called compassion. Also, what does Robin Hood have to do with Parkland? I didn't know that Robin Hood money went to hospitals. Also, I'm fine with not living in those areas because there's plenty of other nice places to live that pay their fair share.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Good for you to have high income, compassion and housing choices. We are not discussing individuals but collective contribution of counties towards common pot. Robin-hood system is just another example.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:39 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes, it's disgusting. Collin County makes it almost impossible for low-income uninsured people to receive any kind of publicly-funded assistance so when the going gets tough, they send them down the road to freeload off Dallas County taxpayers.

Personally I'm tired of subsidizing not only Dallas County's poor but the poor from surrounding counties. Let Collin & Denton Counties pay for their own poor residents. Let them feel the pain.
It's more than the money to me. It's lacking a sense of decency. That judge's comments on Parkland just reek of condescension:

1. Calling Parkland's treating sick CoCo residents a "liberal policy." No, treating an uninsured adult or child with cancer or kidney failure or complications from diabetes is neither a "liberal" policy or a "Liberal" policy. It's the right thing to do. Furthermore, it's the HUMAN thing to do.

2. "These are not indigent citizens," Self said after reviewing Parkland's statistics on Collin County patients. "These are people who don't pay their bill, they're uninsured, they choose not to be insured, they've got a huge Obamacare deductible. All of that plays into this bill that Parkland thinks they've got."

This is the most hideous excuse that "Republicans" love to use - poor people are poor because of a lack of personal responsibility. Basically, it's their own damn fault they can't afford health insurance. I have a family member who makes $25,000 a year doing what he's qualified to do at a company that's too small to offer health insurance. He's in his 50's and luckily in decent health. But the only reason he can afford his $700/mo Obamacare premium is that he doesn't have a mortgage or rent- just property taxes and bills on a modest house in Dallas. He has a safety net most don't and he would STILL be screwed if he had to pay his deductible one year. Most people - even "higher income" ones- are still one bad medical expense away from losing their home. That's reality in 2018. Yes, there are some bad apples but I find it hard to believe that all 20,000+ people who live in CoCo and used Parkland last year are ALL bad apples. Not buying that ish.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:23 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Good for you. Everyone pays according to their bracket and regardless of their county. However, there are more high earners in Collin County compared to Dallas County, higher property values so more property tax too and collectively we pay more taxes ( income, property, sales etc.).
Please stop.

There are not more high earners in Collin County. The last census put Collin County with 118,000 6-figure households and Dallas County with 178,000.

The 2016 certified tax value of property in Dallas County was $271 Billion. The 2017 tax value of Collin County is $136 Billion.

Dallas County is paying almost double to total amount of property taxes as CoCo is. And Dallas County ISD's pay about 20% more info Robin Hood than Collin County ISD's do, $3.7B vs $3.1B. Dallas ISD is classified as "property rich" under Robin Hood, same as HP/ Plano/ Allen/ Frisco/ Coppell, etc.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Your county's residents use a hospital that your county pays nothing for. That's freeloading. Pay your fair share.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
It's more than the money to me. It's lacking a sense of decency. That judge's comments on Parkland just reek of condescension:

1. Calling Parkland's treating sick CoCo residents a "liberal policy." No, treating an uninsured adult or child with cancer or kidney failure or complications from diabetes is neither a "liberal" policy or a "Liberal" policy. It's the right thing to do. Furthermore, it's the HUMAN thing to do.

2. "These are not indigent citizens," Self said after reviewing Parkland's statistics on Collin County patients. "These are people who don't pay their bill, they're uninsured, they choose not to be insured, they've got a huge Obamacare deductible. All of that plays into this bill that Parkland thinks they've got."

This is the most hideous excuse that "Republicans" love to use - poor people are poor because of a lack of personal responsibility. Basically, it's their own damn fault they can't afford health insurance. I have a family member who makes $25,000 a year doing what he's qualified to do at a company that's too small to offer health insurance. He's in his 50's and luckily in decent health. But the only reason he can afford his $700/mo Obamacare premium is that he doesn't have a mortgage or rent- just property taxes and bills on a modest house in Dallas. He has a safety net most don't and he would STILL be screwed if he had to pay his deductible one year. Most people - even "higher income" ones- are still one bad medical expense away from losing their home. That's reality in 2018. Yes, there are some bad apples but I find it hard to believe that all 20,000+ people who live in CoCo and used Parkland last year are ALL bad apples. Not buying that ish.
I love 100% of this.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Please stop.

There are not more high earners in Collin County. The last census put Collin County with 118,000 6-figure households and Dallas County with 178,000.

The 2016 certified tax value of property in Dallas County was $271 Billion. The 2017 tax value of Collin County is $136 Billion.

Dallas County is paying almost double to total amount of property taxes as CoCo is. And Dallas County ISD's pay about 20% more info Robin Hood than Collin County ISD's do, $3.7B vs $3.1B. Dallas ISD is classified as "property rich" under Robin Hood, same as HP/ Plano/ Allen/ Frisco/ Coppell, etc.
I was going by median income and median home value.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 02-15-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 11:54 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:

Since you made it political......

1). Let's stipulate the "judge" in CoCo. didn't know what he was talking about and it's clear the guy is an utter fool who should be cast-out on the rubbish heap. But let's not for a moment think that liberals aren't capable of saying idiotic things.
I give you very leftist Georgia Representative Hank Johnson worrying that Guam would tip over if more military people were stationed there. His cronies later claimed he was joking.........he wasn't joking. He's indirectly referred to Jews as termites etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7XXVLKWd3Q

Further, in other parts of the country it's liberal leaders of liberal towns and counties who foster freeloading on inner city public hospitals.

2). Vis a vis personal responsibility.......I could ask you read the words of very liberal economist who will flatly say that the bottom 20% of the population in terms of income are in the main so irresponsible (highest crime, violence, addiction, birth rates - lowest educational attainment), so relatively incompetent, so incapable of long range goal directed planning that society would be better of to simply pay them to more or less stay out of the way - he uses prettier words than that but that's exactly what he means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: