Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:52 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times

Advertisements

OK, OK, I yield: if you have more money than God, you can do pretty much anything you want. For ordinary people, maybe not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 15,943 times
Thanks for the responses. No, I am not loaded; however, I don't mind a commute if we can have something a little bit bigger than .25 acres. It looks like that may not be an option for us, and that's okay. There may be a gem hidden somewhere. Who knows...

I am very familiar with the Metroplex. I have family in Frisco and Carrollton. Other than visiting many many times, I have not resided there for any length of time.

We are considering other metro areas, but DFW seemed a better option as far as the IT world goes. San Antonio is another option for us. I just wanted to get opinions.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2018, 07:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montee88 View Post
Thanks for the responses. No, I am not loaded; however, I don't mind a commute if we can have something a little bit bigger than .25 acres. It looks like that may not be an option for us, and that's okay. There may be a gem hidden somewhere. Who knows...

I am very familiar with the Metroplex. I have family in Frisco and Carrollton. Other than visiting many many times, I have not resided there for any length of time.

We are considering other metro areas, but DFW seemed a better option as far as the IT world goes. San Antonio is another option for us. I just wanted to get opinions.

Thanks!
San Antonio doesn't have as large of an IT market for sure, but it has dirt-cheap real estate going for it plus a 90-mile drive to Austin (doable on weekends), two amusement parks, a pretty nice downtown area, and kickass Mexican food.

I'd encourage anyone attracted by a low cost of living to check out San Antonio before Dallas-Fort Worth or Austin.

San Antonio is a majority-Hispanic city and has been since...well...probably forever, so it definitely has a different feel and atmosphere than DFW. That's not to say that you hear nothing but Spanish down there. I have spent lots of time in SA and knew lots of "Texians," plus second/third/fourth/fifth/etc. generation Mexican-Americans. They knew little to no Spanish.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:40 AM

140 posts, read 141,273 times
Atlanta is probably the only major Metro where you can find a 1-acre lot reasonably close to job centers

Old 02-26-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
Atlanta is probably the only major Metro where you can find a 1-acre lot reasonably close to job centers
That is the other metro that we are considering as well.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
San Antonio doesn't have as large of an IT market for sure, but it has dirt-cheap real estate going for it plus a 90-mile drive to Austin (doable on weekends), two amusement parks, a pretty nice downtown area, and kickass Mexican food.

I'd encourage anyone attracted by a low cost of living to check out San Antonio before Dallas-Fort Worth or Austin.

San Antonio is a majority-Hispanic city and has been since...well...probably forever, so it definitely has a different feel and atmosphere than DFW. That's not to say that you hear nothing but Spanish down there. I have spent lots of time in SA and knew lots of "Texians," plus second/third/fourth/fifth/etc. generation Mexican-Americans. They knew little to no Spanish.
That is our challenge. The IT market in DFW is very good. And just based on job searches, SA not so much--doable, but doesn't seem as hot. The housing prices are reasonable, and seems like a lot to do there.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montee88 View Post
That is our challenge. The IT market in DFW is very good. And just based on job searches, SA not so much--doable, but doesn't seem as hot. The housing prices are reasonable, and seems like a lot to do there.
It may seem "very good," but remember there's a lot more people here competing for those jobs and hundreds more moving here every day.

SA is definitely not a high-tech town but people who do networking and infrastructure should have a lot less trouble finding work there than someone who's a software developer. Plus it's cheap as hell.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:20 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Just that over and over and over and over again people post the same thing:

Hey I am coming in from (far) out of town, I have a couple hundred thousand bucks budget and I want to buy a house with acreage, room for a pony, easy walking distance to my job in downtown Dallas, and I don't want to look at a map, contact a real estate agent, or do any kind of research [and the following is the implied part] because I know that moving to a semi-rural area like Dallas, Tex. it'll be easy to get what I want. The main question I have is, will the tumbleweeds drifting in the streets of downtown potentially damage the paint on my car?

I mean, we have people wanting to know if there's any cheap investment land between Dallas and Sherman; whether they can buy acreage within a 15 minute commute from DFW airport; and so on. "Hey, maybe if I move to central Dallas, I can take up horseback riding"... yeah, except there's probably not a horse within 30 miles of the address you listed...
Actually for a person sounding defensive you DON'T know the area. I've seen horses on property in Colleyville, north Flower Mound, Trophy Club, and there IS a Polo Club on Riverside drive in IRVING, TX just west of Luna and the Golf Course. So yea, horses are in D/FW.

And isn't that why people post HERE, to get HELP about what to expect in D/FW?

I'm a native Texan (family here since the 1870s at least) but lived elsewhere

Old 03-03-2018, 09:26 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

San Antonio is more like 70-75 miles south not 90 miles from Austin.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
San Antonio is more like 70-75 miles south not 90 miles from Austin.
Whenever I made the drive I clocked in at 89 miles exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas