Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 AM

19,772 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealingInDallas View Post
I am hoping that number is inflated as well. We hadn't heard about increased numbers until the admissions deadlines had passed and, had we known earlier, probably would have applied more broadly. I know it is just part of the admissions reality here in Dallas; but it is disheartening to think of my hard-working, sweet kid not getting into any school. I fear, between siblings and other connected folks, this might be a tough year for unconnected families.
Good luck to your kiddo.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:20 AM

554 posts, read 683,181 times
Quote:
I am hoping that number is inflated as well. We hadn't heard about increased numbers until the admissions deadlines had passed and, had we known earlier, probably would have applied more broadly. I know it is just part of the admissions reality here in Dallas; but it is disheartening to think of my hard-working, sweet kid not getting into any school. I fear, between siblings and other connected folks, this might be a tough year for unconnected families.
You never know! Sometimes, in years where connected folks apply in large numbers, it is actually helpful to be unconnected to the school. I think this is especially true at the more competitive privates, where they don't want classes to be solely comprised of connected students. It probably depends some on the grade level, but it can work out in your favor. For instance, let's take pre-K at Hockaday or Greenhill and 1st at St. Mark's. Since there are no kids yet in those grades, the schools typically want to balance connected admits with unconnected admits (or at least reserve some spaces for unconnected admits to avoid the impression of pure nepotism.) On years when there are a high number of legacies/siblings/faculty applicants, there should conceivably be "reserved" spaces for unconnected applicants that the school doesn't want to fill with connected families. Maybe that will work out in your favor this year

At any rate, good luck to you and your family - I hope it works out for you!

Old 03-06-2018, 11:11 AM

109 posts, read 123,596 times
Quote:
With the admissions decisions less than a week away, is anyone else feeling impatient? I have gotten the impression that application numbers are up this year due to increased numbers of families relocating to Dallas for work. We would be happy with just one acceptance.

I've been lurking around here for a long time, and have appreciated the chance to read about the local private school options and admissions process from the forum's "regulars," but this is my first time posting. Yes, I am feeling very impatient and anxious about decisions and am glad to know I'm not the only one!

Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear from schools on Friday (or in the near future).

Old 03-06-2018, 11:37 AM

790 posts, read 1,220,331 times
Which schools have people heard saw a big increase in applicants? Good luck to all?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:26 PM

16 posts, read 35,559 times
Thanks everyone for the well wishes and perspective. It is comforting to remember that we're all in this waiting period together and to redirect our thoughts to wishing the best for others. I suspect applications are up at most schools (as the population growth driving it would impact most schools); but I have heard specifically that Greenhill applications are up significantly this year. Best of luck to everyone!

Old 03-06-2018, 02:40 PM

35 posts, read 79,313 times
Default private school

Good luck to all...My coping strategy for the expected decline (only applied to 1 school!) is to remind myself of the positives at our current public school and remember there's always next year. My husband plans on celebrating the decline with some techy addition to his media room made possible by the money savings. Ha.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
We were not connected and our son got in.
But, yeah, they told us 30-40% increase in applicants this year and not to expect much just from being connected.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
I'm wondering how connections, donations and legacies play into Dallas's private school admissions. Is it as bad as top colleges? Kushners, Trumps and Kennedys get preferential treatment for the clout their families give to the schools or do they have to get in the line with others?

Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I'm wondering how connections, donations and legacies play into Dallas's private school admissions. Is it as bad as top colleges? Kushners, Trumps and Kennedys get preferential treatment for the clout their families give to the schools or do they have to get in the line with others?
Officially, most schools will deny that it does, or will downplay the role it plays. Mainly they will say that for the practical reason that there are not always enough spaces to be offered for the children of alums or families of enrolled siblings and stating a specific preference creates an expectation. You then also start to play the game of "I went here" or "my older child goes here" and my younger kid didn't get in but XYZ kid with no connection got in. XYZ kid was probably a far superior candidate, but that won't matter in the mind of the family who expected that spot. Now, if admissions is on the fence about two kids who are nearly identical on paper and from their interviews? I am sure that spot goes to the connected family. But that serves a practical purpose for the school beyond being able to give preference. Such candidates are almost sure to accept the spot, and predicting yield has value to a school.

But it's safe to say that if you're a Hunt, your son will get into St Marks. If you're a Perot or a Jones (as in Jerry Jones), the kids are getting into ESD no matter what. These schools can afford to be amazingly selective, but just like elite colleges, only to a certain point.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:26 PM

790 posts, read 1,220,331 times
Several schools I’ve spoken with have told me they give preference to qualified students moving to the area and transferring from other “elite” schools. I’ve been told that they like to accept these students as a courtesy and with the expectation of reciprocal courtesy when they have students whose families transfer to other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas