Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times

Advertisements

Did Frisco negotiate for Frisco to be mentioned instead of Dallas during televised events?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 04:03 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Did Frisco negotiate for Frisco to be mentioned instead of Dallas during televised events?
It doesn’t matter. They are coming here because it’s a suburb of Dallas, suburbs exist because of their anchor cities. They’ll use Dallas airports, Dallas Highways etc etc

Old 12-06-2018, 04:51 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
It sounds like most of the property in question will be owned by the city, so it won't generate taxes at all. I'm not saying that makes this a bad deal, just saying whatever metrics the city used to do its cost/benefit analysis, incremental real estate taxes on the PGA property were probably not among them.

Also, Trinity Forest wasn't built to promote development in South Dallas. The land was a dump (literally) so I don't necessarily hate that deal, but it's a private club meant to keep people out (I know some of the ways you can play a "public" round there, but you already have to know someone who knows). And they had the closest thing to a control group you could ask for, which is Dallas National. Indisputably the best golf club in town, but it hasn't generated any development around it at all. Sounds like the PGA site will be a useful and accessible resource for those who want to make use of it, which is much better than what's going on around Dallas National and Trinity Forest/AT&T.

A portion of the sales tax is what I should have said, not just taxes as it appear there will be no property tax if owned solely by the city.

Trinity Forest was not a course built for zero, sure the land may have been valued at zero but they probably spent $20M plus all in for the course and facilities at a minimum. The city has a vested interest in seeing development to the south of downtown and there was discussion of this in the media prior to this being a go. I doubt this will make a big impact on development that direction but it is better than swamp land. There was talk about this course attracting a major to Dallas. which after seeing the course on tv for the BN doubt will happen. I found it under whelming after a lot of build up.

I am familiar with Dallas National but never seen nor played it.

I think this is a good use of that land in Frisco and will be a net positive for the area in the long run. Good to see some big golf events coming to this part of the country finally.

To host a major or really any tour event requires more land and lose of course use than it once did. But they are bigger events now than even the US Open was when the last major was held in Texas.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:15 PM

134 posts, read 139,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
A portion of the sales tax is what I should have said, not just taxes as it appear there will be no property tax if owned solely by the city.

Trinity Forest was not a course built for zero, sure the land may have been valued at zero but they probably spent $20M plus all in for the course and facilities at a minimum. The city has a vested interest in seeing development to the south of downtown and there was discussion of this in the media prior to this being a go. I doubt this will make a big impact on development that direction but it is better than swamp land. There was talk about this course attracting a major to Dallas. which after seeing the course on tv for the BN doubt will happen. I found it under whelming after a lot of build up.

I am familiar with Dallas National but never seen nor played it.

I think this is a good use of that land in Frisco and will be a net positive for the area in the long run. Good to see some big golf events coming to this part of the country finally.

To host a major or really any tour event requires more land and lose of course use than it once did. But they are bigger events now than even the US Open was when the last major was held in Texas.
I don't know, it's golf, a waste of land that caters to a very small, but large pockets, group of people. I think you are overestimating the income it will bring to the city.

I mean, how many years did Irving/Los Colinas have Bryon Nelson? Yeah, it generated a bunch of revenue one week out of the year. Other than that...meh.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:36 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyLebeau View Post
I don't know, it's golf, a waste of land that caters to a very small, but large pockets, group of people. I think you are overestimating the income it will bring to the city.

I mean, how many years did Irving/Los Colinas have Bryon Nelson? Yeah, it generated a bunch of revenue one week out of the year. Other than that...meh.
Golf, from what I've seen, us very popular in the area and not just among the wealthy. Everyone I know plays golf or has some family member who does regularly. Unlike, say, California, golfing is cheap and relatively affordable. Carrollton, a notably less populous and less wealthy suburb in northern DFW, has a city owned golf course and has always been busy when I visited.

You are a recent transplant or?

Old 12-07-2018, 07:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Maybe. But why fixate on a small portion of the picture?
It's just another reason to be grateful that I don't live or work (or shop or dine) in Frisco so I don't have to pay to subsidize McJobs.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:31 PM

630 posts, read 657,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Golf, from what I've seen, us very popular in the area and not just among the wealthy. Everyone I know plays golf or has some family member who does regularly. Unlike, say, California, golfing is cheap and relatively affordable. Carrollton, a notably less populous and less wealthy suburb in northern DFW, has a city owned golf course and has always been busy when I visited.

You are a recent transplant or?
You may know many committed players, however statistics show this sport is in decline nationwide. Younger generations don’t seem to care much for it.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:41 AM

55 posts, read 49,853 times
Someone forgot to tell PGA that Indians don’t play golf. Golf is dead and the weather in frisco sucks for golf except for 2-3 months lol. Golf is dead

Old 12-08-2018, 10:18 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diversityrules7 View Post
Someone forgot to tell PGA that Indians don’t play golf. Golf is dead and the weather in frisco sucks for golf except for 2-3 months lol. Golf is dead
More Indians are getting into golf. You can easily play golf 7-8 months of the year in Texas. Golf is not doing as well as it did but its not dead yet and PGA is trying to save their business. Future doesn't look good as its not a very practical thing to do for today's busy lifestyles and frankly, not the best use of your time. There are better ways to socially connect with other males now and more efficient ways to get physical activity.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:06 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyLebeau View Post

PGA tour has given over $2 Billion to charities in the local communities where events are held. Tell the beneficiaries it is a waste of time and land.

The country is over built for golf courses relative to number of golfers. It takes too long to play but facilities like this will bring visitors in and not just for the events. There is more demand to play courses designed to host PGA tournaments then the high end public courses all over the place. Private courses are suffering if they do not have something special about them.

In this part of the country one 18 hole facilities will serve about 600 members, more than the 300 or so a Northern courses serves because of their short season. Once opened it takes at least 450 members to make the cash flow work to cover the operating cost of the complex. Golf courses are not huge money makers but they can bring in visitors and private events if they are a a notable course as these will be.

There is a lot of vacant available land land as one gets up to US 380 and heads north. I contend this is a positive good use of this part of the huge vacant land available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas