Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:19 PM

5 posts, read 12,860 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Los Angeles area. It would be really helpful if someone could compare/make analogies for DFW equivalents.

For example: Beverly Hills, CA is like Highland Park, TX.
Plano is like...
Uptown is like...
Southlake is like...
and so on

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 08:34 PM

993 posts, read 2,437,906 times
I wouldn't consider Beverly Hills to be like Highland Park.

10 years ago, I would say Plano was like Irvine.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:55 PM

6,619 posts, read 9,827,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post

Then what would be comparable to Highland Park in DFW? Highland Park is the wealthiest town in Texas and the 9th wealthiest in the USA.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:20 PM

178 posts, read 395,955 times
I fly to LAX maybe six times a year, every year, for several years. For 1-2 weeks each stay. Very familiar with the area.

Arlington = Anaheim, minus the enormous mass transit infrastructure.
Beverly Hills = Highland Park, University Park. Not nearly as glitzly as Beverly Hills is however, closer to Pasadena maybe.
Grand Prairie and West Dallas = Hawthorne, lots of warehouses and trucking activity and factories
Richardson, East Plano = Rowland Heights, City of Industry and Hacienda Heights
South Oak Cliff or East Fort Worth = Inglewood, Westmont
West Plano = a less nice, more crowded version of Irvine
NE Dallas, Garland, Mesquite = roughly the area from El Monte down to Cerritos
Hurst, Euless, Bedford = Orange and Santa Ana
Far North Fort Worth, Keller = Pomona, Ontario

There are no rough equivalents to places like Santa Monica, Pasadena, Torrance, Hollywood, Burbank. We don't have an ocean, mountains or a huge TV/movie industry.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:51 PM

964 posts, read 868,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Then what would be comparable to Highland Park in DFW? Highland Park is the wealthiest town in Texas and the 9th wealthiest in the USA.
Hancock Park.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 PM

964 posts, read 868,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Fred Norris View Post
I fly to LAX maybe six times a year, every year, for several years. For 1-2 weeks each stay. Very familiar with the area.

Arlington = Anaheim, minus the enormous mass transit infrastructure.
Beverly Hills = Highland Park, University Park. Not nearly as glitzly as Beverly Hills is however, closer to Pasadena maybe.
Grand Prairie and West Dallas = Hawthorne, lots of warehouses and trucking activity and factories
Richardson, East Plano = Rowland Heights, City of Industry and Hacienda Heights
South Oak Cliff or East Fort Worth = Inglewood, Westmont
West Plano = a less nice, more crowded version of Irvine
NE Dallas, Garland, Mesquite = roughly the area from El Monte down to Cerritos
Hurst, Euless, Bedford = Orange and Santa Ana
Far North Fort Worth, Keller = Pomona, Ontario

There are no rough equivalents to places like Santa Monica, Pasadena, Torrance, Hollywood, Burbank. We don't have an ocean, mountains or a huge TV/movie industry.
Arlington=Spot on
HP=Not even close. Hancock Park.
West Plano=Mission Viejo
Keller=Lake Forest Maybe. Rancho Santa Margarita. Arcadia

Rest are pretty good.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:59 PM

8,007 posts, read 3,569,082 times
I'm interested to hear what's equivalent to Hermosa or Manhattan Beach , lol.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:22 PM

178 posts, read 395,955 times
It's weird. I both look forward to going to LA and dread it at the same time. I love southern California outside of LA, like driving the Pacific Coast Highway from Malibu down to Laguna Beach and Dana Point and Oceanside, the stunning beaches, pleasant weather, nice people in all those coastal towns is a real treat and so much nicer than anything in DFW or Texas. Yeah, it's crowded and expensive to live there but it is worth it, I think. I even enjoy heading east to desert towns like Victorville.

LA proper, on the other hand, I despise with a passion. It's overcrowded, the highways make no sense. Sometimes the traffic is so bad that Google Maps tells me to completely stay off the highways between LAX and City of Industry or Pomona if I'm heading that direction, to just take Imperial (a city street running east and west) for the whole way. A 100-minute drive for 35 miles. Absurd. If you have a day off and need to do three or four things outside of your immediate neighborhood, you will literally spend all day inside of a car to get it done in LA.

And while there are nice locals, so many ppl are just transplants with **** attitudes. So many people in LA proper are from out-of-state, work in the service industry and are actors. So there's no real sense of community, they're just there getting by until they get their break. People in NYC are friendlier, IMHO.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:57 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post

Highland Park and Beverly Hills were planned by the same developer, Wilbur D Cook. Both were a radical departure from "grid" city planning and unique in the amount of land set aside for public park space. Both are independent towns surrounded by major cities with their own school districts. There are many architectural similarities between the two. The iconic Spanish Colonial Revival architecture of HP Village and HP Town Hall is exactly what you see all over Beverly Hills. So from that standpoint, there is probably no better parallel to Beverly Hills anywhere than Highland Park.

But there the similarities end. There is an obvious terrain difference, hence Beverly "Hills". Beverly Hills is predominantly Jewish and liberal; Highland Park is conservative and Christian. Beverly Hills has a ton more commerce and a much larger economic footprint with the whole Rodeo Drive district and the area just west of. Cedars Sinai where Hotel SLS is. Oh, and a crap ton of celebrities.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Hancock Park.
Doesn't Hancock Park have a huge Jewish Orthodox population? A friend of mine grew up there. I can see where it feels a little more like UP in particular but it's not a great parallel to me because it's 1) LA address and 2) LA Unified schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas