Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:47 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Plus that fact that only one is listed as HOMESCHOOL which could mean that the trophies of education aren't valued by homeschoolers (my personal opintion: FAT CHANCE OF THAT) or more likely that school & peers does provide value.
Homeschooling is only as good as the individual homeschooling parent, just by having a prefrence for homeschooling, ordinary folks can't gain intellectual or academic abilities. Not many homeschooling parents are honors graduates, according to statistics majority doesn't even have undergraduate degrees. Homeschooling is a great idea for some but for most, its just error of judgment, at least after elementary school.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 03-27-2018 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:53 PM

19,768 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Surprisingly, PISD doesn't focus on these metrics or provides extra help for PSAT/SAT testing unlike some other districts, PISD does support advance academics and helps with AP testing but not standardized testing. I think high scores on standardized testing are just a by product of strong academics and studious environment in those classes and of course we have supportive and educated parents.
We know a number of ex-Plano kids and I'd agree with your assessment. For PW in particular focusing on learning albeit in a demanding atmosphere begats excellent tests scores. As it should be everywhere IMO.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:29 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,527 times
The number of Plano finalists is commendable and Plano West is proving that it is a titan when it comes to presenting top calibre students. As a plano resident zoned to Plano West; I cant help being proud of that fact.

However I’m of the opinion that high performance of individual kids has little to do with the school itself and more to do with the kids’ own abilities, peer and the parent groups. That particular high-performing group of kids, taken together and placed anywhere; would perform similarly. Just wind them up and watch them go. The fact that they have clustered at Plano West is a good thing for its public reputation but in reality means little more than a bunch of smart kids attend PWSH in the grand scheme of things.

What i do give Plano ISD in general major kudos for, is nurturing and challenging their top performers while managing to educate all the other groups as well. The only other districts and schools around here that manage anywhere near those kinds of results do so by cherrypicking their student bodies either by zoning or testing.

That alone is very impressive.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:34 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have no dog in this fight; I don't have children. I just find the whole thing amusing.
Hahaha! Right?

I wonder what the SSRI prescription rate is relative to the norm on this sample group.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Surprisingly, PISD doesn't focus on these metrics or provides extra help for PSAT/SAT testing unlike some other districts, PISD does support advance academics and helps with AP testing but not standardized testing. I think high scores on standardized testing are just a by product of strong academics and studious environment in those classes and of course we have supportive and educated parents.
Our year (Plano Senior - there was no West), we had 30-something semis and I forget how many finalists...and no one talked about it or taught us anything. Hell, the day of the PSAT, I just showed up and they told us there was a test that day. Bing bang boom, next thing I knew, I was at UT for free.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:53 AM

377 posts, read 381,992 times
Every time one of these threads comes up I always have a good laugh.

I'm a previous National Merit Scholar from 1996. The amount of attention this award gets now is ridiculous. We have grown adults fighting over which school is supposedly "better" at producing NMSFs

The entire thing is a joke.

When I won in 96, it wasn't a big deal. There was no newspaper articles or fanfare. I think our school announced the semifinalists and finalists over the loudspeaker and that was it. No meetings with the principal. No photo-ops with the major. No round of applause at city hall.

NMSF has become hugely overhyped over the years. Everybody needs to chill and relax.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:33 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post

I'm a previous National Merit Scholar from 1996. The amount of attention this award gets now is ridiculous. We have grown adults fighting over which school is supposedly "better" at producing NMSFs

When I won in 96, it wasn't a big deal. There was no newspaper articles or fanfare. I think our school announced the semifinalists and finalists over the loudspeaker and that was it. No meetings with the principal. No photo-ops with the major. No round of applause at city hall.

NMSF has become hugely overhyped over the years. Everybody needs to chill and relax.
Just have a look at college costs for middle class and you'll understand what this is about.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:43 PM

19,768 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:

When scholarship money, sometimes big time scholarship money, is on the line NMSF is no joke.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:31 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:

I think you protest too much! I was NM in 1985 and there was no loud speaker announcement, but we were presented at the school board meeting, in the local paper, in the school paper, church bulletin and (I just found it clearing out my mother's house) a proclaimation from the state lege!

If anything, it was a bigger deal then, as the dollar amount of the scholarship is virtually the same now and MANY schools, including UT, no longer participate in the program. (It does still open doors to other scholarships, even at UT and other schools that no longer give National Merit Scholarship.)

Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 AM

625 posts, read 1,955,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I think you protest too much! I was NM in 1985 and there was no loud speaker announcement, but we were presented at the school board meeting, in the local paper, in the school paper, church bulletin and (I just found it clearing out my mother's house) a proclaimation from the state lege!

If anything, it was a bigger deal then, as the dollar amount of the scholarship is virtually the same now and MANY schools, including UT, no longer participate in the program. (It does still open doors to other scholarships, even at UT and other schools that no longer give National Merit Scholarship.)
Most state schools will give their own scholarships if you're a National Merit Finalist. In the Texas-area, every state school outside of UT-Austin will. Most of these are full rides (except for A&M).

Further out of our geographic area, state schools like Alabama, Auburn, Arizona, etc. will all give full rides for National Merit Finalists (Basically any second-tier state school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas