Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:56 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

This post is about considering other areas. And if you are still considering other areas, I do suggest you look in the M Streets and surrounding areas in Dallas — zip code 75206; served by Stonewall Jackson Elementary. It has lots to offer a professional couple, is a decent commute for UTSW and VA, and has a good elementary school.

Coppell doesn’t have a small town feel. I have lived in Coppell and Valley Ranch. It can be a tight knit community if you have kids participating in school, or belong to a local church. In your price range, your neighborhood street will be no more charming than small, outdated homes built in the 70’s and 80’s in neighborhoods all over the DFW area. Generally, its a suburb and you will find you are doing most of your shopping outside of Coppell — either in Southlake or along the many retail laden corridors in the area that are in Irving, Lewisville or Flower Mound. If you like the general vicinity, don’t get hung up on a Coppell address. Look in North Irving, too. Similar commute and same experience as a homeowner. Also go ahead and think about Euless in zip 76039 — one burb west.

If you are still open to GP, take a look at zip code 75060 (south Irving, bordering North GP) which would be desirable from a commute perspective. I own 2 rent houses in that zip code and have never had a single complaint or issue about crime. It is generally a working/blue collar area with sections of nice homes — just like Grand Prairie. Downtown Old Irving is experiencing a resurgence of gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 08:56 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
If you don’t even have kids yet, then don’t even consider the schools! You are at least 6 years away from needing an elementary school! Based on that, I’d look in Las Colinas, or even the part of NW Dallas closer to UTSW. There’s no reason to even get into the bidding wars in Coppell. Just buy a house that’s in your price range and help your husband get through his residency.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:38 AM

57 posts, read 57,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
This post is about considering other areas. And if you are still considering other areas, I do suggest you look in the M Streets and surrounding areas in Dallas — zip code 75206; served by Stonewall Jackson Elementary. It has lots to offer a professional couple, is a decent commute for UTSW and VA, and has a good elementary school.

Coppell doesn’t have a small town feel. I have lived in Coppell and Valley Ranch. It can be a tight knit community if you have kids participating in school, or belong to a local church. In your price range, your neighborhood street will be no more charming than small, outdated homes built in the 70’s and 80’s in neighborhoods all over the DFW area. Generally, its a suburb and you will find you are doing most of your shopping outside of Coppell — either in Southlake or along the many retail laden corridors in the area that are in Irving, Lewisville or Flower Mound. If you like the general vicinity, don’t get hung up on a Coppell address. Look in North Irving, too. Similar commute and same experience as a homeowner. Also go ahead and think about Euless in zip 76039 — one burb west.

If you are still open to GP, take a look at zip code 75060 (south Irving, bordering North GP) which would be desirable from a commute perspective. I own 2 rent houses in that zip code and have never had a single complaint or issue about crime. It is generally a working/blue collar area with sections of nice homes — just like Grand Prairie. Downtown Old Irving is experiencing a resurgence of gentrification.
Thanks for the info about the specific area of GP. I’m definitely not hung up on a Coppell address, I only included Coppell in this question because we are viewing a house there tomorrow. We are looking in several different neighborhoods around the city.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you don’t even have kids yet, then don’t even consider the schools! You are at least 6 years away from needing an elementary school! Based on that, I’d look in Las Colinas, or even the part of NW Dallas closer to UTSW. There’s no reason to even get into the bidding wars in Coppell. Just buy a house that’s in your price range and help your husband get through his residency.
It’s not really that we are prioritizing schools as a factor for choosing. I just like the input on schools because the quality of the school generally says something about the neighborhood. Plus I am an elementary school teacher so it’s nice to know what I’m getting into as far as work opportunities.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:10 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeedub View Post
It’s not really that we are prioritizing schools as a factor for choosing. I just like the input on schools because the quality of the school generally says something about the neighborhood. Plus I am an elementary school teacher so it’s nice to know what I’m getting into as far as work opportunities.
Kind of...but not always. Las Colinas is a notable exception. Irving ISD schools are generally not great, but Las Colinas is a really nice area. Many areas of Dallas also are great for residence but have lousy DISD schools, so families there send their kids to top private schools.
As for your employment, there are great school districts all over the area.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
See my post above this one. The thing is, GP is a city suburb. It has 175,000 residents, covers 80 square miles, and would be the 15th biggest city in TX if it were freestanding. So it has dozens of neighborhoods, some nice and others have a lot of urban issues and crime.

GP high schools are BAD news. You said schools aren't really a factor but to put it in perspective, there are 150 public high schools in DFW. GPHS's SAT ranks 140th (1100/1800) and SGP's ranks 119th (1252/1800). Coppell's ranks 3rd (1729/1800).
Can't edit my post now but I really DO know that the SAT is a 2400 point scale, not 1800. That's what I get for posting at midnight

Old 03-31-2018, 11:38 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Don’t hesitate to bid on a house if you find something in Coppell that you like.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:47 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Honest opinion: you might need a different realtor. I would draw a semi-arc with a 7-8 mile radius from UTSW and look at properties in your price range. You'll want to exclude the area south of downtown that is east of I-35 but almost every other area where homes are $300k+ are nice, safe places to live. Most of the residential neighborhoods in Dallas feel more suburban than urban anyway.

There aren't residency requirements for teachers so you can live anywhere and teach anywhere you get hired.

I think you can do better than Coppell given you don't need schools (meaning the hassle of shopping the lowest end of Coppell housing + paying much higher property taxes when you're not using the schools) and I KNOW you can do better than Grand Prairie.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Honest opinion: you might need a different realtor. I would draw a semi-arc with a 7-8 mile radius from UTSW and look at properties in your price range. You'll want to exclude the area south of downtown that is east of I-35 but almost every other area where homes are $300k+ are nice, safe places to live. Most of the residential neighborhoods in Dallas feel more suburban than urban anyway.

There aren't residency requirements for teachers so you can live anywhere and teach anywhere you get hired.

I think you can do better than Coppell given you don't need schools (meaning the hassle of shopping the lowest end of Coppell housing + paying much higher property taxes when you're not using the schools) and I KNOW you can do better than Grand Prairie.
I’m not sure why you are saying we need a different realtor. She has been nothing but great. We are looking in many different areas, not just Coppell. It just happens that the house we are looking at this weekend is in Coppell.

I realize there are no residency requirements for teachers. That doesn’t mean I want to drive 45 minutes to work each day to reach a decent school district. It would be nice if my work was at least relatively near home.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Kind of...but not always. Las Colinas is a notable exception. Irving ISD schools are generally not great, but Las Colinas is a really nice area. Many areas of Dallas also are great for residence but have lousy DISD schools, so families there send their kids to top private schools.
As for your employment, there are great school districts all over the area.
I know it’s not as black and white as I was making it sound. But when you’ve never even been to a city before it’s a good starting point for what neighborhoods to look in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas