Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 12:36 PM

66 posts, read 49,100 times

Advertisements

I have some mens clothes in good shape I can't wear anymore. Looking to donate them to an HONEST managed mens shelter, possibly near the Richardson area.

I also have blankets and a couple of used home printers to go with this.

Too many charities are scams nowadays, and it's hard to find one thats actually honest.

Also, some shelters don't take physical donations, only money ones.....so that makes it extra hard to find someplace to donate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 12:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygenericemail View Post
I have some mens clothes in good shape I can't wear anymore. Looking to donate them to an HONEST managed mens shelter, possibly near the Richardson area.

I also have blankets and a couple of used home printers to go with this.

Too many charities are scams nowadays, and it's hard to find one thats actually honest.

Also, some shelters don't take physical donations, only money ones.....so that makes it extra hard to find someplace to donate.
Not near Richardson, but Austin Street Shelter just south of downtown is very well run and completely on the up and up (ie it isn't just a charity that is being used by property developers as a real estate holding company, or to award large salaries to directors, or something along those lines). Also, if you donate clothes in good shape, they loan them out free to the people living there so they can use them to wear to work or job interviews. This is different from a lot of charities like Goodwill that just sell them at a discount to retail - which is certainly not an awful model, but I like the Austin St philosophy much more. They're very focused on helping people get back on their feet rather than a long term solution to chronic homelessness.

Not sure what they'd do with the printers, maybe they'd try to sell them, but that's probably better for somewhere like Goodwill or Genesis Women's Shelter (they work like Goodwill where they operate a store - they mostly aren't giving the donated items directly to battered women/families).

Old 04-09-2018, 01:08 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,974 times
Dallas Life will take them. They are located near downtown Dallas.

http://www.dallaslife.org

Old 04-09-2018, 01:46 PM

208 posts, read 335,886 times
Austin Street is a great idea,very worthy organization that helps the high risk homeless. Crossroads Community Services downtown also always needs men’s clothing.

If they’re casual clothes maybe consider the Richardson Clothes Closet that is run out of Richardson ISD. Donations go to students in need who are referred by their counselor or principal. Very well run program.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:12 PM

422 posts, read 523,695 times
You might also ask in your area Nextdoor group. We usually get great, personal recommendations that way. Otherwise, Austin Street.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:56 PM

73 posts, read 112,081 times
The Family Place is also a good place, they take in victims of domestic violence and have recently opened a shelter specifically for men. The resale shop is located on Marsh Lane in the southeast corner of the Park Forest shopping center. Check out familyplace.org for the emails and better information about how to donate.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:57 PM

66 posts, read 49,100 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it.

Although, I have to correct something there........Goodwill is not a charity, it is a resale organization. The owner, Mark Curran, makes around $3 million a year.....yes, thats HIS paycheck. He's not obliged to help anyone with the money he makes from GoodWill, even though they are billed as "charities". The truth is, that the GoodWill organization might help charities out, but they aren't a charity themselves. REAL charities use the money for their intended purposes, not to pay a bunch of corporate greed-mongers million dollar salaries.

I'm just sayin......

Old 04-19-2018, 05:04 PM

200 posts, read 548,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygenericemail View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it.

Although, I have to correct something there........Goodwill is not a charity, it is a resale organization. The owner, Mark Curran, makes around $3 million a year.....yes, thats HIS paycheck. He's not obliged to help anyone with the money he makes from GoodWill, even though they are billed as "charities". The truth is, that the GoodWill organization might help charities out, but they aren't a charity themselves. REAL charities use the money for their intended purposes, not to pay a bunch of corporate greed-mongers million dollar salaries.

I'm just sayin......
Although the CEO still makes a lot of money, the above information is false.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ex...ies-charities/
Mark Curran is not the CEO and the current CEO does not make more than a million a year.
I do not like or dislike Goodwill. (I have other preferred charity to support) But I think it is wrong to spread Internet hoaxes and rumors which can be considered defamation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas