Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 07:16 AM

10 posts, read 12,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Just for the record, South Dallas is the part of town that's south of downtown and east of the Trinity River (or perhaps east of IH-35E). It's not the greatest area and no one is recommending that.

Oak Cliff is different from South Dallas; it is across the river from the original settlement of Dallas, i.e. on the west (southwest) side of the river. I say it helps to think of Oak Cliff like Brooklyn. It is quite a large area, since people use the term to refer to everything on the southwest side of the river, (i.e. across the river from downtown). Like Brooklyn, there are rich parts and poor parts. Large areas (generally on the southern end) are lower income, and you will see headlines about "Crime in Oak Cliff." But those areas aren't what we are recommending, rather the upscale part, i.e. North Oak Cliff which is the part around Kessler Park. The struggles of the lower-income part of Oak Cliff are pretty well separate from the upscale part, much as crime in say East New York or Brownsville has very little to do with upscale life in Brooklyn Heights.

I still think East Dallas is bad news for a commute, but if you look there, maybe try the M Streets (Greenland Hills Neighborhood Association - M Streets - Conservation District) which is among the less bad commutes, and a nice combination of family-friendly and hipster.

I don't know if this is still true, but in a lot of these areas, rental houses don't necessarily make it onto the MLS or official realtor websites. Traditionally you would just see signs in the front yard. Nowadays, you might look for local Facebook groups to see about rentals, or if you know someone who can look on Nextdoor.
Thank you Walter. Very helpful.

One final question to the group: my office will be located very close to the Urban Center Las Colinas station on the Orange DART line. Would the group recommend any areas along this line to live? I had noted that there is a trolley from Kessler/North Oak Cliff into downtown which would connect, but curious to know if any areas north-west of downtown along the line itself would be livable/fit my criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 07:55 AM

8,102 posts, read 8,254,577 times
If you lived near Inwood Village — you’d be able to catch the DART directly to LC. There are lovely areas near there. There’s also nice areas around the north section of the Green line (Royal and Walnut Hill stations) that you could use the green line and switch at Bachman station to catch the orange line. I have never gotten off at the Bachman station and imagine it would be safe during normal commute hours. But that’s a high crime area.

Be aware that you would still need to drive to the stations and there would be many times you’d still need to drive to work due to midday meetings, lunches and events. DFW is a car culture and you’ll be expected to get yourself to places not easily available via DART

Last edited by WorldKlas; 05-05-2018 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-05-2018, 08:11 AM

989 posts, read 2,431,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suttonzach View Post
Thank you Walter. Very helpful.

One final question to the group: my office will be located very close to the Urban Center Las Colinas station on the Orange DART line. Would the group recommend any areas along this line to live? I had noted that there is a trolley from Kessler/North Oak Cliff into downtown which would connect, but curious to know if any areas north-west of downtown along the line itself would be livable/fit my criteria.

That trolley runs pretty slow and infrequently, you would probably be looking at almost an hour commute if you take the trolley to the red line to the orange line Urban Center station.

There is one other option I know of if you are looking for a detached single family home that would be a good fit location wise, but it may not fit the vibe you are looking for. In zip code 75235, there is a small block of 1930s tudor style homes bordered by Maple, Hudnall, and Cedar Springs, that's right near the Orange line Inwood/Love Field Station. It's an improving neighborhood due to influx of medical employees (near a bunch of hospitals, known as Medical District). Since you are near the DART line, that also gives you an easy route to downtown/uptown/bishop arts district for the weekends. It's also near Love Field airport, so you may be right in the flight path of incoming planes, but would be close to the airport for travel. I'm listing this as an option mostly based on the location, may be worth at least checking out if you come to visit.

Otherwise, near American Airlines Center/Design District (and the DART Orange Line to Las Colinas, aka Victory Station) there are a lot of apartments/condos, but not really detached single family homes, that I am aware of.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
The trolley is more novelty than commute oriented.

Also, consider that work culture is different in DFW than NYC. I've lived in both. You might be expected to drive coworkers to lunch or other appointments, to work off-site at a location not on the DART, or to drive clients. At a certain professional level, driving a car is expected. It's not "green", but it is what it is.

At my last company, a VP drove a Ford Taurus despite compensation in the $350k range and was openly ridiculed by peers for being "cheap" and a "tightwad". It definitely made that person not fit in to the executive culture and I believe contributed to being psssed over for several deserved promotions.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:20 PM

10 posts, read 12,770 times
Thanks again all, much appreciated.

@TurtleCreek80 Interesting insight into corporate/car culture - this would be a VP position so will keep your words in mind

Old 05-05-2018, 06:21 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The trolley is more novelty than commute oriented.

Also, consider that work culture is different in DFW than NYC. I've lived in both. You might be expected to drive coworkers to lunch or other appointments, to work off-site at a location not on the DART, or to drive clients. At a certain professional level, driving a car is expected. It's not "green", but it is what it is.

At my last company, a VP drove a Ford Taurus despite compensation in the $350k range and was openly ridiculed by peers for being "cheap" and a "tightwad". It definitely made that person not fit in to the executive culture and I believe contributed to being psssed over for several deserved promotions.
That really is disgusting. There's something wrong with that executive culture then. I personally would never work for or surround myself with such shallow people.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttonzach View Post
Thanks again all, much appreciated.

@TurtleCreek80 Interesting insight into corporate/car culture - this would be a VP position so will keep your words in mind
I definitely would keep it in mind considering the job is located in a suburb.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
That really is disgusting. There's something wrong with that executive culture then. I personally would never work for or surround myself with such shallow people.
Wrong or not, it's not like that kind of executive culture was unique to that one company. At the VP level, if you refuse to work for a company like that in DFW, your career options are going to be EXTREMELY limited. Like, almost move to NYC / DC / Chicago/ Portland limited.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 PM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It's real life and the people you speak of are not shallow. They are in a world where appearances and accouterments matter.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:41 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,858,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
They are in a world where appearances and accouterments matter.
Isn't that the definition of shallow? No wonder Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos can defraud hundred million dollars from the rich, " smart" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: