Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:04 AM

10 posts, read 12,755 times

Advertisements

Hi All, my company has offered me a role which would involve relocating from NYC (Manhattan) to the Dallas area (Irving).

I have a young family (wife, 4.5yo, 1yo) so proximity to parks, shops, etc is generally preferable; at the same time I'd like to keep my commute to under 30 minutes.

The role itself would be for 2-3 years only so not looking to buy a house nor are public schools too much of a concern (happy to go private if necessary)

UP/HP seem like nice neighborhoods but I'm not sure about the commute (office is based near Las Colinas Urban Center). We generally like elements of "hipster" life (independent coffee shops, Wholefoods, Montessori schools etc) and coming from NYC prize walk-ability (though understand this is Dallas!).

Any suggestions on locations are most welcome. To the extent that it helps narrows things down our monthly rental budget would be around $4k, though there is some flexibility around this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 08:33 AM

989 posts, read 2,428,181 times
Las Colinas Urban Center appears to be right near the DART line, that may give you some location flexibility if you are ok with riding a train.

Are you looking for a detached house or would a townhome/condo work? If the latter, I would look into Uptown and maybe Design District. There's a Whole Foods around there. UP/HP could also work. Your commute would likely be 25 to 40 minutes regardless.

You could also look north in Las Colinas or Valley Ranch area. It's suburban but there is a Whole Foods and a ton of "big box" shopping stores near MacArthur Park area, but not an area that I would call "hip". Commute would be better though.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM

Thanks justsomeguy

Yes, being an avid NYC subway rider I did note the DART station but wasn't sure if it connected (within a reasonable commute) to neighborhoods that fit my profile.

We currently live in an apartment so not opposed to high(er) density living but part of the potential attraction of the move is possibly the opportunity to live in house (detached or otherwise)

Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 AM

989 posts, read 2,428,181 times
You may also check out Kessler neighborhood in North Oak Cliff near Bishop Arts District, but again commute could be 25-40 minutes.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:58 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,101,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
You may also check out Kessler neighborhood in North Oak Cliff near Bishop Arts District, but again commute could be 25-40 minutes.
Agree. North Oak Cliff checks off the "hipster" box way more than HP/UP does and a $4k rental budget will get a nicer house there. HP/UP are more like Greenwich and the Westchester Co suburbs of NYC - even though they're smack in the middle of the city. OP, you would probably like the vibe best in Lakewood or Kessler Park/ Bishop Arts part of North Oak Cliff. It's more Brooklyn. Lakewood is more like 45 minutes to Las Colinas.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:01 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,850,914 times
Uptown

Old 04-28-2018, 12:46 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,216,774 times
Your budget will allow you to live pretty much anywhere in the metroplex, it's just a matter of how nice. Do you already own a car? 2 cars? this will be the other factor.

I used to live right across from the American Airlines center and commute to Las Colinas. It usually takes about 20-30 min. A lot of uptown will be in the 30 min range, maybe parts that are deeper in will be a little longer.

If you go for uptown, I would go for the State/ Allen Neighborhood, a few blocks in from McKinney. There is a whole foods there and it's charming plus it's close ish to the highway to get to and from work. My friend and his wife sold one of their cars when they moved here and only need the one.

HP and UP are nice areas and will be under a 30 min drive to work via loop 12. They are the wealthiest part of the city (HP is like the 7th richest town in America) but aren't really hipster. You will have lots of health conscious moms and stuff and whole foods as that seems to come with the being wealthy territory. You will also want 2 cars here and preferably nice ones.

North Oak Cliff is pretty hipster, but not like Brooklyn, more like Portland. (Think Craftsman houses with yards, not brownstones) I personally really love North Oak Cliff, but while you might get to work under 30 min some days, you will prob be looking at more like 40 min alot of days. You might get by with one car, but you will prob want 2 unless you live near the trolley line.

Lakewood is great. Beautiful, charming homes, streetcar suburb feeling.

You might also consider Las Colinas itself or other parts of Irving near by.

The pros would be that you will prob get the most for you money in Las Colinas, and there are plenty of trails and parks around. You might be able to find a place walk-able to work and only need one car, and you also have rail access to the airport and downtown. There are planty of places to eat that aren't chains, and Irving is one of the most diverse places in the US demographically speaking.

The cons would be that it will be that it is an odd urban suburban blend with some urban aspects but mostly suburban ones. While several new bars and restaurants have moved in, it has a chainy feel to it. It might just be too different for you, or you might find you actually like it.

With your budget you could totally afford a place downtown, but idk about having kids down there. Some people do it.

If I were you I would do one of 3 things

My first choice would be to pick a spot in Lakewood or Oak Cliff (which seem the most like the kind of place you want) and eat the possible 40 min commute.

The 2nd best option would be Uptown. Walkable and better commute. Certainly less hipster, but a cool place.

3rd option would be kind of a wild card. Get a suburban house in Irving (University hills or something) and have a 5 min commute and a HUGE suburban house. It will be less hip, but at least Irving is less sterile than many of the other suburbs. At the very least it would be a new experience.

I would avoid the Park cities just because they are expensive and not very hipster at all.

With your kind of money that can afford 4k in rent you will absolutely be putting your kids in private school, unless you decide on Park Cities.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 04-28-2018 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-28-2018, 01:57 PM

Thankyou very much Treasuryvalley92 - super helpful!

Old 04-28-2018, 02:28 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,798,673 times
Highland Park= Greenwhich, CT

Old 04-28-2018, 07:13 PM

31 posts, read 45,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suttonzach View Post
Hi All, my company has offered me a role which would involve relocating from NYC (Manhattan) to the Dallas area (Irving).

I have a young family (wife, 4.5yo, 1yo) so proximity to parks, shops, etc is generally preferable; at the same time I'd like to keep my commute to under 30 minutes.

The role itself would be for 2-3 years only so not looking to buy a house nor are public schools too much of a concern (happy to go private if necessary)

UP/HP seem like nice neighborhoods but I'm not sure about the commute (office is based near Las Colinas Urban Center). We generally like elements of "hipster" life (independent coffee shops, Wholefoods, Montessori schools etc) and coming from NYC prize walk-ability (though understand this is Dallas!).

Any suggestions on locations are most welcome. To the extent that it helps narrows things down our monthly rental budget would be around $4k, though there is some flexibility around this.

Thanks!
I would look at North Oak Cliff or Devonshire neighborhoods. We love East Dallas but the commute to Las Colinas is closer to 40-50 minutes on a typical day, primarily because there isn't a good way to go East-West across Dallas. There are no neighborhoods here that compare to NY in terms of walkability (beyond a block or two), but there are communities with a nice feel and good parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: