Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 02:43 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times

Advertisements

DFW Total Home Tax Topped $10 Billion in 2017

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...0-billion-2017

Then this...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...robably-peaked

I am starting to wonder what will happen with the Property tax situation here in the DFW area.Are prices finally peaking?I do not support the state of Texas viewing homeowners as cash registers with no limit.Where is all of this revenue going?The increases in most DFW home value assesments have been astronomical over the past decade.We have tons of tollroads and a high sales tax as well.I feel like not having a state income tax no longer makes choosing the DFW area over other areas as appealing as it once was. Can this area justify these higher property tax bills and rapidly increasing cost of living long-term?Topography and location cetainly is not bere as that extra justification.Places like the Colombus and Indianapolis metro areas (amongst others) offer similar standards of living for less.What will make DFW a destination that people flock to in the furure?

Last edited by CREW747; 04-30-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 03:01 PM

964 posts, read 876,791 times
You lost all credibility when you stated 2 areas that are 2M people are similar than a place that has 7,500,000 people.

Name another top 10-15 population area that has cheaper property taxes than DFW that is not in TX.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:20 PM

a

Old 04-30-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
You lost all credibility when you stated 2 areas that are 2M people are similar than a place that has 7,500,000 people.

Name another top 10-15 population area that has cheaper property taxes than DFW that is not in TX.

I see your point about the actual metro size.The cities of Columbus and Indianapolis are close to 1 million people each in population.While the metro areas are obviously smaller,it seems that job availability and salaries are close to DFW levels.Both have strong suburbs.Comparing a much smaller city like DesMoines to Dallas would be off base,yes.Columbus and Indianapolis could easily be compared if someone had job offers in all three.

That being said,I am starting to wonder how high cost of living will get in the desirable areas of DFW before the negatives start to outweigh the positives to choosing a cheaper yet still bustling metro like a Columbus or Indianapolis.

Last edited by CREW747; 04-30-2018 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 03:32 PM

167 posts, read 168,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I see your point about the actual metro size.The cities of Columbus and Indianapolis are close to 1 million people each in population.While the metro areas are obviously smaller,it seems that job availability and salaries are close to DFW levels.Both have strong suburbs.Comparing places like DesMoines to Dallas would be ridiculous,yes.Columbus and Indianapolis could easily be compared if someone had job offers in all three.

That being said,I am really starting to wonder how high cost of living will get in the desirabel areas of DFW before the negatives start to outweigh the positives to choosing a cheaper yet still bustling metro like a Colombus or Indianapolis.
Columbus and Indy aren’t exactly “bustling”. I could see running the comp if you had offers in all three. DFW would probably still edge based on the fact that future professional growth is likely far more realistic.

Oh. And SNOW.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Quote:
I see your point about the actual metro size.The cities of Columbus and Indianapolis are close to 1 million people each in population.While the metro areas are obviously smaller,it seems that job availability and salaries are close to DFW levels.Both have strong suburbs.Comparing a much smaller city like DesMoines to Dallas would be off base,yes.Columbus and Indianapolis could easily be compared if someone had job offers in all three.

That being said,I am starting to wonder how high cost of living will get in the desirable areas of DFW before the negatives start to outweigh the positives to choosing a cheaper yet still bustling metro like a Columbus or Indianapolis.
They really aren't comparable. I am not saying one is better than the other (I kind of like Columbus personally), but there is no realistic way that Columbus and DFW are comparable metros. I spent a significant portion of my career with an organization based in Columbus and I know the area relatively well even though I never resided there. It is just such a massively smaller scale than DFW. Economically, culturally, etc.

IMO, you do pose what I view to be a key question: Where is all this revenue going? The follow-up question is even more important: what happens when the entities receiving tax revenue cannot count on huge annual increases in revenue?

Old 05-01-2018, 07:58 AM

200 posts, read 548,185 times
Quote:
DFW Total Home Tax Topped $10 Billion in 2017

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...0-billion-2017

Then this...

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...robably-peaked

I am starting to wonder what will happen with the Property tax situation here in the DFW area.Are prices finally peaking?I do not support the state of Texas viewing homeowners as cash registers with no limit.Where is all of this revenue going?The increases in most DFW home value assesments have been astronomical over the past decade.We have tons of tollroads and a high sales tax as well.I feel like not having a state income tax no longer makes choosing the DFW area over other areas as appealing as it once was. Can this area justify these higher property tax bills and rapidly increasing cost of living long-term?Topography and location cetainly is not bere as that extra justification.Places like the Colombus and Indianapolis metro areas (amongst others) offer similar standards of living for less.What will make DFW a destination that people flock to in the furure?
I don't like high property taxes either and do not think it makes sense to grow so rapidly. I'm really hoping that higher interest rates will slow down the price increase. However I still prefer not having state income taxes vs sales and property taxes. The thing is that sales and property taxes are something we have some level of control(we can choose to buy less housing, less luxury items, less iPhones, iPads...etc, and we can choose to waste more of our time by not using toll roads.) Income taxes are something we have little to no control whatsoever. (unless you ask your boss to lower your salary every year or if you are self-employed and can manage your own "salary".) As to Indianapolis or Columbus they are simply not comparable.... Houston, LA, Philadelphia may be more comparable. However those places are not cheaper in terms of total sales+propery+income taxes. (maybe Houston could be cheaper but I don't like Hurricanes...)

Old 05-01-2018, 08:11 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:

There is far more job availability in the much larger metro area of Dallas-Ft. Worth compared to mid-sized metros such as Columbus or Indianapolis. Bad comparison. DFW competes with bustling metros areas such as Houston, Phoenix, and Atlanta, all of which fall into the population range of 4.5-6.8 Million people or so. And neither C-Bus nor Indy are "bustling" in comparison to DFW and its peer metro areas due to the fact that the sunbelt is booming far more than the midwest and because Snow. Everyone doesn't want to live in four-season climates.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:16 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
If you don't know that the property tax revenue is going to city, county, community college and school district then why haven't you been paying attention before now?

Old 05-01-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
If you don't know that the property tax revenue is going to city, county, community college and school district then why haven't you been paying attention before now?

Since the heavy annual increases have started,property taxe rates have been the same here in Collin County.Where is the surplus going and what will happen when those annual increases slow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas