U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 04:11 PM

51 posts, read 43,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
How about ten acres with a guest house at a price (523,000) that will leave plenty of money for great private schools like Trinity Christian - Cedar Hill in the area. As a former Dallas Cowboy player once said, they will tell you about The Ranch but they won’t tell you about Cedar Hill in southern Dallas County.

https://youtu.be/GrncXOe44v4

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...27213622_zpid/

Or maybe for the same price you’d like something smaller but on 27 acres just 19 minutes from Downtown.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...91077608_zpid/

Maybe not for you but putting the info out for others.
Those are nice homes. At that price point, that would leave a lot of room for renovations. Thanks for the links.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:51 PM

12,319 posts, read 23,488,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gronkforlife View Post
I did. Lucas keeps coming up with the types of housing, lot size and price point that we're looking for. What's it like to live their? Is it safe and low crime for the most part? Are the people friendly and welcoming? Are the schools good?

thanks
I don't live there but have friends there and in adjacent Fairview. It's very quiet, safe, low crime. I think people here (DFW and especially northern suburbs with so many transplants) are friendly and welcoming. I'm not sure if Lucas is zoned to Allen ISD, Lovejoy ISD, or both, but both are good districts. It's hard to find bad schools in the northern burbs.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:55 PM

12,319 posts, read 23,488,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
How about ten acres with a guest house at a price (523,000) that will leave plenty of money for great private schools like Trinity Christian - Cedar Hill in the area. As a former Dallas Cowboy player once said, they will tell you about The Ranch but they won’t tell you about Cedar Hill in southern Dallas County.

https://youtu.be/GrncXOe44v4

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...27213622_zpid/

Or maybe for the same price you’d like something smaller but on 27 acres just 19 minutes from Downtown.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...91077608_zpid/

Maybe not for you but putting the info out for others.
The fine print on that second listing says that three listings must be purchased together for $1.3M which is almost 3X the price of the listing linked above.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:13 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,201,824 times
There’s a gated community with houses on 1-5 acres in North Arlington that’s right off hwy 360. Great location for airport. However Arlington schools not high ratings; would need to use private schools. Example Check out listings at : 3020 Shadow Dr., Arlington, Tx and 2906 Shadow Dr.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:51 AM

420 posts, read 423,678 times
You might look in Seis Lagos in Lucas. Lovejoy schools for part of the community (Wylie ISD for the other so make sure you know which one), large lots (not 2 acre though but some very big), custom homes, gated. Nice neighborhood, very active and welcoming community. It's just FAR from most jobs.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:06 PM

123 posts, read 100,923 times
Quote:
I did. Lucas keeps coming up with the types of housing, lot size and price point that we're looking for. What's it like to live their? Is it safe and low crime for the most part? Are the people friendly and welcoming? Are the schools good?
I don't live in Lucas but I live within spitting distance in Parker. Lucas is safe and low crime, but DOESN'T HAVE A POLICE DEPARTMENT. Police service is the county's sheriff office. If you google a bit, you'll find articles about how bad their response times are. I seem to recall like 20 minutes average and sometimes over 45 minutes. Lucas does have fully or mostly paid Fire Department.

Parker (South) or Fairview (North) offer similar lot sizes and possibly price points with Police Departments. However, I know Parker really well and there isn't a single gated community.

Most or all of Lucas is zoned to Lovejoy ISD. I know a lot of people love them, but I've also heard many things that concerned me. Enough that our preference was Plano ISD over it when we were house hunting. I'm not sure if any of Lucas is zoned to Allen ISD. It is the weakest of the three (not bad though) and has the highest property taxes. Someone else said parts of Seis Lagos was in Wylie ISD and that may just be an average school district.

Though Lucas is generally viewed favorably by its residents, the biggest knock I hear repeatedly from people that live there or used to is that it is a long way from most city type stuff. The southwest corner has a Walmart but otherwise, there is basically no retail. Parker is closer to Murphy, Plano and Allen. Fairview has its own shopping plus Allen and McKinney are close. Some parts of Lucas are close to Allen, but some parts are a long drive from everything.

The above is not meant to be negative on Lucas. Lucas has a lot of positives but does have some tradeoffs which may or may not matter to you.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:07 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,094,356 times
Chances are if you can afford such a place near amenities in DFW you can afford private school. There are neighborhoods in Arlington and far east Fort Worth that offer what you want. The homeowners though mainly send their kids to private schools in Arlington (usually Oakridge) or drive to the private schools in Fort Worth.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:42 PM

51 posts, read 43,232 times
Thanks...I guess I'll focus on Lucas, Parker, and Arlington. Not sure what the plan is yet regarding public vs private. Don't mind private if the other boxes are checked. You can't have everything and need to compromise in order to satisfy your most important criteria.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 978,865 times
Quote:
Thanks...I guess I'll focus on Lucas, Parker, and Arlington. Not sure what the plan is yet regarding public vs private. Don't mind private if the other boxes are checked. You can't have everything and need to compromise in order to satisfy your most important criteria.
Your gated community objective is the one that eliminates the most landing spots.

It’s honestly not common in Texas and quite frivolous. We’ve all got guns, don’t need no stinking gates.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:12 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,094,356 times
If you are looking in Arlington don't forget to check the small towns of Pantego and Dalworthington Gardens in the middle of Arlington. If you search the MLS listings for Arlington you won't find them. You have to search for those cities. You can sometimes find much larger lots in those towns. If you live in either you really don't need a gated community though although they do exist in those areas. They're like virtual gated communities because the police are so aggressive about patrolling the streets. As a result, the crime rates are usually much lower than the surrounding Arlington neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or