Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 05:18 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
115°F recorded on Tollway at 5:08pm today (July 19, 2018). I didn't know DFW can be this hot.
Yea that does not count.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:28 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Definitely a good time to be in the HVAC business!

I had been keeping a close eye on one of my rental's original HVAC system last year, and made the call to replace the unit during the fall service back in November. $3500. Two neighbors with almost identical systems had theirs crap out this week - same place quoted them $4800...

Old 07-19-2018, 05:39 PM

872 posts, read 998,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Usually, the air dries out in the afternoon. Early morning is the most humid part of the day. The dew point is currently 75 degrees, that’s oppressive humdity. Right now, it’s 89 degrees but it already feels like 99 degrees (and it’s not even 10 am).

But unfortunately, the humdity is going to make the forecasted temps near 110 degrees (or slightly higher) feel like 115 (or in some isolated locations 120 degrees).

Remember, what we consider to be dry heat in Dallas...isn’t the same dry heat like you’ll see in Arizona. Even then our heat has more moisture than the Desert Southwest.
Well right now, Phoenix is 105 with DP at 65 for 26% humidity (106 is normal for this time of year) This is VERY humid for AZ as we are used to DPs under 50 with single digit humidity or in the teens. It is our monsoon season after all. So we are in a way very similar. FOR NOW not to mention your overnight temps do dip down a bit more than ours.

We actually have an excessive heat watch for next week in place now. An excessive heat watch here is bad. We are expected to have a heat wave starting Sunday with 110+ weather, peaking at 118 possibly

Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Well right now, Phoenix is 105 with DP at 65 for 26% humidity (106 is normal for this time of year) This is VERY humid for AZ as we are used to DPs under 50 with single digit humidity or in the teens. It is our monsoon season after all. So we are in a way very similar. FOR NOW not to mention your overnight temps do dip down a bit more than ours.

We actually have an excessive heat watch for next week in place now. An excessive heat watch here is bad. We are expected to have a heat wave starting Sunday with 110+ weather, peaking at 118 possibly
Shows the summer advantage of LV over Phoenix and Dallas. Simply drier. Here it is also 106 but the humidity is lower so the heat index is 106 versus the 111 in Phoenix.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:47 PM

937 posts, read 743,177 times
But can't we all look forward to pleasant temps from Oct-April? Lots of places have awful summer temps and then really cold, grey, dreary winter climates as well. I jump on the NY citydata threads from time to time and it seems like they've got both humid, hell summers AND hell winters to contend with. At least we just have one hellish season to contend with and then it's smooth sailing! DFW gets a bad rap for climate but this is really the reality of the situation: paid the Pied Summer Piper and then it's smooth sailing for the rest of the year!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Chattanooga specifically.

It reminds me of what Austin might have been like 20 years ago. Absolutely stunning scenery, great weather (slightly more humid, but overall still pleasant), and really just a great city. Rush hour resembled Sunday morning here. We drove in around 11:30 PM and were worried the highway was shutdown because there were no other cars! Just a slower pace overall. Friendly people, incredible food. Housing is cheaper overall. There were a few downsides--there are fewer areas to live in that have good schools and that is a big concern to a lot of the people living there. However, the real estate in the area with the best public schools (Signal Mountain) is similar (or cheaper) to where we live now with way better views and large wooded lots. I'm not sure if we will end up there (potential move is 2 years down the road), but it will be hard to turn it down.

Feel free to PM me.

Pics (all taken by me on an iphone)

--View from Lookout Mountain

--Commute down 27 (main highway) into the city. This was at 5:45 pm. That's the rush hour traffic in the opposite lane!

--View from Walnut Street Bridge downtown
Great pictures!

I've always been in love with the west personally and that is where I prefer to end up, but TN is so beautiful if life took me up there, I wouldn't mind at all.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 PM

937 posts, read 743,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Great pictures!

I've always been in love with the west personally and that is where I prefer to end up, but TN is so beautiful if life took me up there, I wouldn't mind at all.
You shouldn't discount VA either. It's an incredibly gorgeous state and you would have the Shenandoah Valley, coast, Charlottesville, historic towns and cities throughout the state, mountains, great schools and universities, and rich in history. You would also be close to some metro major cities like DC, Baltimore, and a bit further- NYC. Virginia is a hidden gem!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
But can't we all look forward to pleasant temps from Oct-April? Lots of places have awful summer temps and then really cold, grey, dreary winter climates as well. I jump on the NY citydata threads from time to time and it seems like they've got both humid, hell summers AND hell winters to contend with. At least we just have one hellish season to contend with and then it's smooth sailing! DFW gets a bad rap for climate but this is really the reality of the situation: paid the Pied Summer Piper and then it's smooth sailing for the rest of the year!
Eh. Not so fast there. Plenty of Blue Northers come through. At least when it’s freaking hot, it’s just hot. Plan for it, wear the right clothes and sweat out last night’s beer.

When it’s 65 in the morning and drops to 35 when you’re leaving work, or you get all four seasons in a week, that’s a PITA.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:05 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
NYC sucks in the summer, but not as badly as Dallas. Also, winter in NYC isn't that bad, it isn't Buffalo. Real 4 season weather trumps what we have for sure.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the only truly "pleasant" months are probably November and April. Maybe part of Oct-Dec and Mar-May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas