Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Denver is just not geared for the high heat. At least in TX cities you can hop through AC islands.

I remember visiting my college roomie who moved up there 4-5 years ago and being astonished at window units. It hit 92-94 that day and it was way more miserable than today is.
Most places have central air. Heck, almost everyone in Idaho where I grew up does.

Also, 94 in Denver is nothing like 90 in Dallas. I was there last Saturday when it was 95. While hot, it was ok in the shade. By about 11pm it was 75ish so I opened my window and slept with it open.

I don't disagree that summer are short hot and dry in the mountain west, but they are no comparison to Texas or Dallas Summers.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I didn't like the lack of trees-flora and the wide open, barren terrain. It was hot during the day from May-Oct and the sunlight was very intense especially when driving. The feeling to me especially without many trees was that the Front Range summers were very very hot and I stayed in most of that time. I tried to walk or jog and it was just extremely hot and dry just like a desert. Not many others were out and about during the summer either on nearby local trails. Too hot.

Housing was often crammed together with minimal yard space-privacy and you would pay a high premium for this. It was disappointing what you could get for the money. Housing construction there was very poor as if the builders were trying to make the very most amount of money without having to put hardly anything at all into the homes-the very very bare minimums for a premium cost. You were paying a premium for what seemed like a crummy, cheap starter home that might as well be a condo since there would be minimal yard and privacy. My experience was that life on the Front Range was VERY different from life in the CO mountains. They were worlds apart from each other.
IDK, I was in Denver, Boulder, etc last weekend and WAY more people were out and about than Dallas... So many people on bikes, I almost had forgotten what it was like to not have people actively trying to kill you for riding your bike on the road like they do down here.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
That is fair.

Though I would also add scenery to the mix. It's pretty astounding what Texas has done with pretty rough weather and for the most part pretty mediocre scenery.

Texas has alot to thank for the good fortune of having oil and 4 big cities.

I don't think water will be an issue for the densely populated parts of the state, Texas has TONS of water.
Tell that to Austin and many of the hill country towns, circa 2011. Aquifers were running dry, entire towns had to have water trucked in. Lake Travis was 60’ below full pool.

Hell. Even as far out as Lubbock - the ogallala aquifer started running dry in 2012 and has been dropping.

Can’t drink the oil.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 PM

937 posts, read 743,828 times
Quote:
IDK, I was in Denver, Boulder, etc last weekend and WAY more people were out and about than Dallas... So many people on bikes, I almost had forgotten what it was like to not have people actively trying to kill you for riding your bike on the road like they do down here.
You definitely will see more people out and about on bikes and walking in Denver and Boulder, no doubt. I didn't set out to leave Denver but when a better spousal job opportunity presented itself, I wasn't about to stick around just to live there. It wasn't MY idea of shangri-la. If I had been living in Breck or Aspen, yeah, major quality of life downgrade, but IMHO leaving the Denver -Front Range burbs for the DFW burbs wasn't really going to have much of an affect on my overall day to day quality of life. In fact, the lower COL here has outweighed any negatives of leaving Denver.

I'm really not much of a mountain gal. I used to be long ago and hung around with extremely outdoorsy people once upon a time, but that's a whole 'nother story. So if you are not that into the mountain outdoors, Denver may not really captivate you. Lots of other cities offer much the same. In my case, I am really into the flora of a locale and so Denver wasn't really doing it for me at all.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
You definitely will see more people out and about on bikes and walking in Denver and Boulder, no doubt. I didn't set out to leave Denver but when a better spousal job opportunity presented itself, I wasn't about to stick around just to live there. It wasn't MY idea of shangri-la. If I had been living in Breck or Aspen, yeah, major quality of life downgrade, but IMHO leaving the Denver -Front Range burbs for the DFW burbs wasn't really going to have much of an affect on my overall day to day quality of life. In fact, the lower COL here has outweighed any negatives of leaving Denver.

I'm really not much of a mountain gal. I used to be long ago and hung around with extremely outdoorsy people once upon a time, but that's a whole 'nother story. So if you are not that into the mountain outdoors, Denver may not really captivate you. Lots of other cities offer much the same. In my case, I am really into the flora of a locale and so Denver wasn't really doing it for me at all.
That's totally fine, I guess what i'm just trying to say is Hot in Dallas and hot in Denver are categorically different because of the humidity (which changes how it feels plus day a night time temps) and because of the length of the season.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Tell that to Austin and many of the hill country towns, circa 2011. Aquifers were running dry, entire towns had to have water trucked in. Lake Travis was 60’ below full pool.

Hell. Even as far out as Lubbock - the ogallala aquifer started running dry in 2012 and has been dropping.

Can’t drink the oil.
Yes, but, compared to the rest of the West, Texas has a ton of water.

States like California have less water are and more people and still manage to get by.

IDK about some small towns, maybe they really did run out of water, all I know is the big cities are fine.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:34 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Yes, but, compared to the rest of the West, Texas has a ton of water.

States like California have less water are and more people and still manage to get by.

IDK about some small towns, maybe they really did run out of water, all I know is the big cities are fine.
Not if we add another 20 million people. The infrastructure isn't there.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Not if we add another 20 million people. The infrastructure isn't there.
I bet we could double the state population and be fine, we would just have to build for it. (and we would)

Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I actually like the winters here. I prefer it over an area like Houston which gets very little winter. We get just enough to feel like winter without it ever lasting long. Spring and Fall are great too. Summer OTOH......
Given the summers we get in Texas, and the humidity during much of the year, I love the fact Houston has very little winter. It doesn't get cold often and I honestly wish it dipped below 40 even less, like Miami or New Orleans. Winter here is like fall everywhere else. The cold fronts that North Texas gets during the winter can be brutal.

We're all getting it bad this week though - this is some of the worst heat I remember since 2011. Stay cool y'all.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 AM

937 posts, read 743,828 times
Quote:
Project much? Try looking at the words I wrote, without the chip on your shoulder.
I apologize. I didn't read your post well and I was a little loopy when I wrote that from being on Benadryl all day yesterday trying to keep a bee sting reaction at bay. I think it affected my reading comprehension! Sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas