Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,218,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Flagstaff is a very good city. Such a refreshing place. It doesn't seem like a lot of Dallas area residents choose Flagstaff as a summer getaway destination. There seem to be more trips to Santa Fe, New Mexico and the various Colorado mountain towns to get out of the heat.
To be fair, flights to Denver are dirt cheap, and it's a pretty short drive from there (I did Denver airport to Estes Park in 1.5 hours last visit) It's so easy.

Granted, Phoenix flights are cheap too, and it isn't that much further of a drive, but also I think people might not think of AZ as a cool place in the summer.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 PM

5,427 posts, read 4,408,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
To be fair, flights to Denver are dirt cheap, and it's a pretty short drive from there (I did Denver airport to Estes Park in 1.5 hours last visit) It's so easy.

Granted, Phoenix flights are cheap too, and it isn't that much further of a drive, but also I think people might not think of AZ as a cool place in the summer.
It would depend upon where a person goes in Colorado. The mountain towns are between 1.5-3 hours from Denver International. Flagstaff is 2 hours from Sky Harbor International in Phoenix. While in Flagstaff, someone can check out the Grand Canyon, which is also temperate, or go down to Sedona for a day trip. Sedona is a little less temperate, but it sits around ~4,500 feet. It's survivable for a day.

The Colorado trips are pretty awesome, and I do understand why residents of the big Texas cities like to go to various places in Colorado.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
It would depend upon where a person goes in Colorado. The mountain towns are between 1.5-3 hours from Denver International. Flagstaff is 2 hours from Sky Harbor International in Phoenix. While in Flagstaff, someone can check out the Grand Canyon, which is also temperate, or go down to Sedona for a day trip. Sedona is a little less temperate, but it sits around ~4,500 feet. It's survivable for a day.

The Colorado trips are pretty awesome, and I do understand why residents of the big Texas cities like to go to various places in Colorado.
That is true, and Flagstaff is probably underutilized by the folks from our fair burg.

Sedona has pretty great weather.

It is pretty hard to beat being within Rocky Mountain National park to Denver international in well under 2 hours or the top of Pikes Peak to Denver International in under 2.5. Makes sense that it's a popular destination.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 PM

5,427 posts, read 4,408,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It is pretty hard to beat being within Rocky Mountain National park to Denver international in well under 2 hours or the top of Pikes Peak to Denver International in under 2.5. Makes sense that it's a popular destination.

You didn't mention the Breckenridge area, which is 1.5 hours from Denver, and probably the closest mountain town. There is also Vail-Beaver Creek (2 hours), Aspen (3 hours), and Steamboat Springs (3 hours). All great choices.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:40 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I knew I wasn't crazy when I was complaining about the heat last summer and everyone told me it was a mild summer....
LOL see to me (coming from the east coast with it's super high humidity) last year WAS a mild summer - in fact, it felt GREAT to me. My husband and I said over and over again, "Let's remember this summer when we're burning up next summer." And this year, even when the temps were at 100 or even higher, the humidity being under 30 percent so often made it feel almost comfortable outside. ALMOST. Not quite. I've found that my tolerance level, if the humidity is around 30 percent, is about 95. After that, I don't care how "dry" it is - it's hot. Too hot.

But believe me, I've been hotter when it was 90 with 60 percent humidity, than I am at 95 with low humidity. (To me, 30 percent or lower is FABULOUS, DAHLINK!).

One of my friends - well, actually a lot of my friends since I lived there for ten years - lives in Georgia. During the recent heat wave, she kept posting pictures from an app and the temps were always about 90 and she was absolutely DYING of heat. At first I thought, "What's wrong with her - that's not that hot," till I looked at the "feels like" section - and the humidity was so high that it felt like 105. Meanwhile, here it was 98 but felt like..well, 98. I know which one I prefer!

Old 08-01-2018, 07:45 PM

I live an hour and a half east of Dallas. This morning, for the first time in a long time, it was cooler outside than it was inside when I got up. OMG, IT WAS 67 DEGREES. I almost cried with joy!

Old 08-01-2018, 07:51 PM

937 posts, read 737,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I live an hour and a half east of Dallas. This morning, for the first time in a long time, it was cooler outside than it was inside when I got up. OMG, IT WAS 67 DEGREES. I almost cried with joy!
Yes, it was breezy and cool this morning when I was out weeding my flower beds and watering my plants. I was chilly in the pool in the early evening!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
You didn't mention the Breckenridge area, which is 1.5 hours from Denver, and probably the closest mountain town. There is also Vail-Beaver Creek (2 hours), Aspen (3 hours), and Steamboat Springs (3 hours). All great choices.
Yeah Breckenridge is great! A little longer from the airport because you have to go though Denver, but still not bad!

Old 08-02-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Yes, it was breezy and cool this morning when I was out weeding my flower beds and watering my plants. I was chilly in the pool in the early evening!
It feels great outside again this morning too! I was watering my plants and got my legs wet and thought "Brrr!" I LOVE IT.

It will be hotter than Hades again this afternoon but here it shouldn't get over 93 - considering last week, I'd say we're catching a cold spell! Humidity is higher though, but still not as high as it often is, so that's good. Maybe the worst is over.

It's been so hot this summer that my husband, a native Texan who loves this state, is actually talking about moving to some place like the Appalachian foothills of NC, TN or GA when he retires. Like others have said, it's not just the heat, and it's not just the humidity (I know the southeastern states have both), it's also the sheer length of summer.

I love Halloween but it's no fun to have to think about "But will I be too hot in this wig?" on OCTOBER 31. SHEEZE, by September I'm already sick to death of the heat, and by October, I want to cry.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:00 AM

937 posts, read 737,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
II love Halloween but it's no fun to have to think about "But will I be too hot in this wig?" on OCTOBER 31. SHEEZE, by September I'm already sick to death of the heat, and by October, I want to cry.
I've done the paradigm shift (aka DFW weather Stockholm Syndrome ) so I'm okay with an October in the 80's. At least its relief, and the mornings and evenings will be nice. Now if it's still pushing those temps when I'm serving up my Thanksgiving turkey, then BOOOO! That's not festive at all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas