U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 PM

12,397 posts, read 23,806,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
One would never know that if they have gotten to Dallas in recent times. It is hard to imagine Central Market as a strip club.

What happened to nightlife on Greenville north of Mockingbird? Even Greenville south of Mockingbird, while it still retains nightlife, isn't nearly as happening as other parts of the city.

The St. Patrick's Day Parade is probably the only evidence that Upper Greenville was once happening. That parade should probable either be cancelled, or moved to Uptown/Downtown/Deep Ellum.
The young professionals moved and so the nightlife followed.

When my dad was single here in the 1970's he & many other young professionals lived in what is now the Five Points area off Greenville north of Northwest Hwy. Then the Village became the big thing in the 1980-1990's. Hence, lots of nightlife along Greenville from Lowest Greenville almost up to Presbyterian Hospital where Austin's iconic El Arroyo had a location.

Then Uptown happened and the epicenter of nightlife and young professional living moved south. The Village & Old Town are still nice areas, just not as happening as they once were. The Five Points neighborhood has unfortunately become one of the most crime ridden pockets in Dallas. I'm guessing one set of landlords worked harder than the others to keep maintained and improvements up?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM

95 posts, read 76,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
AGREE.

I cringe when I fly on airplanes now. Have you seen how trashy people dress?

Yikes.

Yes!! There is nothing wrong with looking presentable. Slippers and PJ pants are not it. Either are yoga pants if you are over a size 2. Even then, you look ridiculous. Also, i know you just spent a week in Cancun, I don't need to see the sand all over your body and feet like you haven't showered for a week. That just happened. Gross.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,002,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I just spent the long weekend in Dallas with my good friend and I loved - coming from way too casual Seattle - how all of the women were dolled up with makeup, beautiful outfits, high heels, and in general just looked really well put together. Same goes for a lot of the men, who looked nice and clean cut.

What is it about the culture of Dallas that lends to this? Has it always been this way?

i disagree Dallas and Texas in general is pretty laid back compared to a lot of other cities i've been to and dpent time in. I can't speak specifically for Seattle, i've only spent a lot of time there. People are pretty casual when going out to restaurants or even at night here.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:56 AM

1,295 posts, read 650,098 times
It tells you allot about the Dallas society to want to take extra measures to look clean, sharp and presentable. Explains allot about their character and personality which can be found more worthy of building trust and relationships.

Presentation IS everything.

Sharing and interesting article I ran across. Please have a read.
https://www.fastcompany.com/1738968/...ion-everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I just spent the long weekend in Dallas with my good friend and I loved - coming from way too casual Seattle - how all of the women were dolled up with makeup, beautiful outfits, high heels, and in general just looked really well put together. Same goes for a lot of the men, who looked nice and clean cut.

What is it about the culture of Dallas that lends to this? Has it always been this way?

Old 06-11-2018, 06:54 AM

3,691 posts, read 5,612,113 times
^ that article has no substance and has nothing to do with dressing up.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:58 PM

5,318 posts, read 3,827,358 times
I think this is less about Dallas and more about the West Coast culture. My friend teaches at a university in Washington and says that students show up wearing whatever they want. In other parts of the country, you won't see students showing up in flip flops and shorts.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:08 PM

1,936 posts, read 1,171,262 times
What's wrong with shorts in August in Texas?

Old 06-15-2018, 01:27 PM

5,318 posts, read 3,827,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
What's wrong with shorts in August in Texas?
Nothing, out in public. But it's not appropriate for a graduate level university course.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:31 PM

1,936 posts, read 1,171,262 times
I wore them to some of my graduate level library science courses without any problem. I didn't wear them to work or during class observation trips though.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:05 PM

3,691 posts, read 5,612,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I think this is less about Dallas and more about the West Coast culture. My friend teaches at a university in Washington and says that students show up wearing whatever they want. In other parts of the country, you won't see students showing up in flip flops and shorts.
You see students show up in flip flops and shorts in just about every college in the US...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or