Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 06:27 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It was a nice night club but it wasn't a fancy night club. It was in a strip center that had a Tom Thumb grocery store on Lovers Lane just east of 75.
That Tom Thumb location is still there, adjacent to what is considered Old Town Shopping Center.

I'm amazed that Old Town used to have bars/nightclubs. I've been in Dallas since 2011 and there's no evident that the area ever contained any nightlife. I have never been able to figure out what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I just spent the long weekend in Dallas with my good friend and I loved - coming from way too casual Seattle - how all of the women were dolled up with makeup, beautiful outfits, high heels, and in general just looked really well put together. Same goes for a lot of the men, who looked nice and clean cut.

What is it about the culture of Dallas that lends to this? Has it always been this way?

Do you happen to remember the places that you went? I can think of a couple of nightspots where women will wear dresses. I prefer women in dresses as it is more feminine. I can say the same about skirts of any length.

Last edited by RJ312; 06-03-2018 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 10:34 AM

4,504 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
That Tom Thumb location is still there, adjacent to what is considered Old Town Shopping Center.

I'm amazed that Old Town used to have bars/nightclubs. I've been in Dallas since 2011 and there's no evident that the area ever contained any nightlife. I have never been able to figure out what happened
Back in the 80's, there was at least a couple of clubs in that area. If I remember right, there was a Le Bare male strip club in that area.

The neighborhood directly east of the Tom Thumb and north of Lovers Lane there was nothing but apartment complexes in every direction as far as the eyes can see. That was over 30 years ago, but if memory serves, that area of Dallas was called The Village.

I never lived there but I had family who did and we'd drive up there from Austin about once every other month or so, in the mid 80's to the mid 90's.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:02 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Opposite as well. Two good friends are Rhone Region winery owners. They and their fams come over about once per year to shop at Northpark and rent fast V-8 powered cars. Looking a them one would not know they are French.........but would know without a word said that they are from Europe.

It's funny to me that so many Americans envy much about Europe all the while so many Europeans would move here in a flash if they could.
My brother and I spent a good amount of time in Europe as kids/young adults. One of our favorite games to play at airports, while people watching, was "Guess that Nationality!" It was amazing how much you could tell by how someone dressed.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:09 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
No, it's not still there. It moved over to the lot next door. When I got to Dallas in 1991, there was a still a lot of night life in that area. There were three strip clubs, including the Fare southeast of Lover's and Greenville.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, it's not still there. It moved over to the lot next door. When I got to Dallas in 1991, there was a still a lot of night life in that area. There were three strip clubs, including the Fare southeast of Lover's and Greenville.
I have seen a Tom Thumb near Lovers & Greenville during the time I've lived in Dallas, so I figured it was the same one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Back in the 80's, there was at least a couple of clubs in that area. If I remember right, there was a Le Bare male strip club in that area.

The neighborhood directly east of the Tom Thumb and north of Lovers Lane there was nothing but apartment complexes in every direction as far as the eyes can see. That was over 30 years ago, but if memory serves, that area of Dallas was called The Village.

I never lived there but I had family who did and we'd drive up there from Austin about once every other month or so, in the mid 80's to the mid 90's.
The Village still exists. It is past its glory days of the 1970s-1990s. In the time I've lived here, The Village has been considered a decent place for the younger crowd, but it lost of lot of its luster when Uptown came into its own (Uptown is now is a downward cycle). The Village is undergoing a massive renovation project right now. The former country club location was demolished, as well as the tennis courts and main swimming pool.

There are apartment complexes north of The Village north of Northwest Highway, and those apartment complexes are not very nice. The people who live in those complexes on the other side of NW Hwy (Vickery Meadow) are the people that the OP probably encountered who are dressed up in appearance.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:21 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I just spent the long weekend in Dallas with my good friend and I loved - coming from way too casual Seattle - how all of the women were dolled up with makeup, beautiful outfits, high heels, and in general just looked really well put together. Same goes for a lot of the men, who looked nice and clean cut.

What is it about the culture of Dallas that lends to this? Has it always been this way?
Because we actually care about how we look and how others see us........ Something many people should also do..

Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 875,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Because we actually care about how we look and how others see us........ Something many people should also do..
AGREE.

I cringe when I fly on airplanes now. Have you seen how trashy people dress?

Yikes.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:38 AM

964 posts, read 877,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
AGREE.

I cringe when I fly on airplanes now. Have you seen how trashy people dress?

Yikes.
I surely don't get dressed up when I go on the bus or in a taxi. These days our airlines are nothing more than glorified buses and at this point rival a bus that you would catch in Tijuana.

I do agree that I see some rather risque outfits on the plane though

Old 06-04-2018, 07:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:

I'm amazed that Old Town used to have bars/nightclubs. I've been in Dallas since 2011 and there's no evident that the area ever contained any nightlife. I have never been able to figure out what happened.
Then this will blow your mind....Central Market was built on the site of a former strip club. It was there when I was a teenager in the 1990's.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Then this will blow your mind....Central Market was built on the site of a former strip club. It was there when I was a teenager in the 1990's.
One would never know that if they have gotten to Dallas in recent times. It is hard to imagine Central Market as a strip club.

What happened to nightlife on Greenville north of Mockingbird? Even Greenville south of Mockingbird, while it still retains nightlife, isn't nearly as happening as other parts of the city.

The St. Patrick's Day Parade is probably the only evidence that Upper Greenville was once happening. That parade should probable either be cancelled, or moved to Uptown/Downtown/Deep Ellum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas