Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 AM

313 posts, read 368,084 times

Advertisements

I looked up FWCD and was surprised how far it has fallen. I thought it used to be on par with Kinkaid in Houston but now the list of college matriculations isn't very impressive compared with St Mark's, Hockaday and Greenhill. I don't think Jesuit and Ursuline list college enrollment stats.

OP, what about the Bluffview area, north of E. Lovers Lane up to Northwest Highway? ESD is non-sectarian and you'll find great homes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 AM

13 posts, read 21,212 times
Looking for a neighborhood that's a mix of old and new, with character. We don't love a lot of the homes in the burbs (grand foyers, lots of dark wood, massive brick exterior, etc) in cookie cutter neighborhoods. We prefer transitional modern or modern farmhouse. We don't need a huge home, but an 8,000+ sf lot so we have some outdoor space would be ideal.

We'd like to be close to restaurants, a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, coffee shop or two, park for the dog and kids, trails to bike, etc.

We will definitely look into the public schools in the Lakewood and M St area. I have nothing at all against the education at public schools and love that there is some diversity there, but I worry about class sizes and focus on state testing. Also, the middle schools have mixed reviews. Are people opting for private or do they continue with public? (Our kids will be in 4th and 6th when we move.)

Work is close to UTA. I'll add Bluffview to the list. Even though it's probably shorter distance-wise, think it will take longer to get to Arlington compared to Forest Hills?

Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 AM

109 posts, read 123,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyskies04 View Post
This is all super helpful! Thank you again.

We are coming from the Washington DC area. We're pretty liberal and not religious. We're looking at the Lakewood area to the M Streets and maybe Forest Hills, if that drive to Arlington isn't too crazy.

Housing budget is 1.5.

I don't know much about Fort Worth? Are there some neighborhoods I should check out? Will look into TVS.

Anywhere else?
Welcome to Dallas! I lived in the DC area for several years about a decade ago. We live in the M Streets and I frankly cannot imagine trying to commute to Arlington from here, but it probably depends a bit on your point of reference since you may already be used to a long commute in DC.

We have friends who send/sent their kids to Lakehill Prep and I would echo what a prior poster said. Not known for the strongest academics and seems to be a preferred option for families who want to live in East Dallas, aren't enamored with DISD, and don't want to haul their kids to the more elite private schools on the other side of town. Someone did also mention that the public schools in M Streets/Lakewood are popular and, that is definitely true, but given the age of your kids you may want to know that this tapers off somewhat after elementary school, with a lot of parents opting to try to get their kids into Travis or other magnets for middle and high school. My impression is that Woodrow HS is a good option, especially its IB program, but if you are already leaning towards private school and comparing with Southlake schools, I'd definitely read up on Long in particular before you decide to move into the Woodrow feeder pattern with the idea you'll do DISD schools. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2018, 11:13 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,486 times
On the DISD options, I hear more and more families going on to J L Long. Talk to the administration at Lakewood and Stonewall (Mockingbird El) and you will hear that almost all 5th graders go on to JL Long. (You could actually do this with a phone call to the office of the schools and get real data) Yes, kids go on to Travis from these two elementaries but remember there is no longer an entry point in grade 6 for Travis, all entry is now in Grade 4.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:15 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyskies04 View Post
Looking for a neighborhood that's a mix of old and new, with character. We don't love a lot of the homes in the burbs (grand foyers, lots of dark wood, massive brick exterior, etc) in cookie cutter neighborhoods. We prefer transitional modern or modern farmhouse. We don't need a huge home, but an 8,000+ sf lot so we have some outdoor space would be ideal.

We'd like to be close to restaurants, a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, coffee shop or two, park for the dog and kids, trails to bike, etc.

We will definitely look into the public schools in the Lakewood and M St area. I have nothing at all against the education at public schools and love that there is some diversity there, but I worry about class sizes and focus on state testing. Also, the middle schools have mixed reviews. Are people opting for private or do they continue with public? (Our kids will be in 4th and 6th when we move.)

Work is close to UTA. I'll add Bluffview to the list. Even though it's probably shorter distance-wise, think it will take longer to get to Arlington compared to Forest Hills?

Lakewood would be an ideal area based on budget and the preferences you list, but not sure the commute/schools would work for you. In terms of the schools, many families do still choose alternate routes after elementary (or after 3rd grade in many cases) such as private/magnet/etc.

There are not that many secular private schools in Dallas in general and they have been discussed upthread pretty accurately. I would echo previous comments on Lakehill as well. The most common private school path in Lakewood/East Dallas involves the local catholic schools (St. Thomas Aquinas PK-8 followed by Bishop Lynch High School).

I would suggest probably checking out some of the private schools discussed on this thread as well as HPISD. One thing to possibly consider in terms of HPISD is that the property tax rates are lower than in Dallas ISD areas (which adds up at this budget range).

Overall, it sounds like Bluffview/Devonshire, University Park, Lakewood, etc. would all be good fits for you in various ways. Fortunately you have enough time to evaluate areas and make an informed decision. Good luck with your move.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:38 PM

554 posts, read 683,719 times
Did anyone mention Parish? It tends to have a better reputation than Lakehill, but is still thought of as softer and less cutthroat than the schools that are considered elite (which tend to be insanely competitive - especially in upper school.) Parish is technically Episcopal, but we have friends who go there that are from many different religious backgrounds (or no religious background at all) that say they feel very comfortable.

FWIW, I can't imagine driving the commute from Lakewood to Arlington on a daily basis. Many of our friends who live in Lakewood consistently complain about the commute just to and from the Dallas privates ! To each their own (and I have no idea what you are used to in terms of a commute), but you should know that distances can be deceiving here. My office is less than 4 miles away from my kids' private school and on bad days, it can take me 25 minutes...

Old 06-05-2018, 03:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
Did anyone mention Parish? It tends to have a better reputation than Lakehill, but is still thought of as softer and less cutthroat than the schools that are considered elite (which tend to be insanely competitive - especially in upper school.) Parish is technically Episcopal, but we have friends who go there that are from many different religious backgrounds (or no religious background at all) that say they feel very comfortable.

FWIW, I can't imagine driving the commute from Lakewood to Arlington on a daily basis. Many of our friends who live in Lakewood consistently complain about the commute just to and from the Dallas privates ! To each their own (and I have no idea what you are used to in terms of a commute), but you should know that distances can be deceiving here. My office is less than 4 miles away from my kids' private school and on bad days, it can take me 25 minutes...

True about the commute. The only thing I would mention is that there is no fast (or highway) route to get from Lakewood to the North Dallas privates. It is all surface streets.

Just looking right now it is 40 min from UT Arlington to the Lakewood Whole Foods and 31 minutes from Hockaday to the Lakewood Whole Foods.

I-30 isn't awful. It is a longer commute than I would like for sure, but not much different than UP/Bluffview/etc.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:13 PM

19,779 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
I looked up FWCD and was surprised how far it has fallen. I thought it used to be on par with Kinkaid in Houston but now the list of college matriculations isn't very impressive compared with St Mark's, Hockaday and Greenhill. I don't think Jesuit and Ursuline list college enrollment stats.

OP, what about the Bluffview area, north of E. Lovers Lane up to Northwest Highway? ESD is non-sectarian and you'll find great homes there.
Unless something has changed in the last year or two Jesuit, Ursuline and Cistercian all list matriculations every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas