Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 06:35 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailbaby View Post
I find it weird that Texas people are asking you that, then again I haven't moved there yet. I'm a native Coloradoan (well damn near) and it's so ignorant the comments I'm getting from people in Co about moving to TX. It's always "I would NEVER move to Texas and if I had to move I would only go to Austin". Just super arrogant. Nobody knows what they will or won't do until they are put in that situation. Oh, they also all think you can get a 5000 sq ft house for 5 bucks on 10 acres of land and JR Ewing is your neighbor. Seriously.

Moving is not ideal for me. My parents and siblings are in Co. I grew up in Boulder. I'm not thrilled about moving to humidity and no mountains and mosquitoes. I have to say people will move to Co for the lifestyle and then later figure out the job thing. I think the reverse of Dallas where people are most likely moving there for work. Co is very expensive. The outdoorsy lifestyle is very expensive. We get all the rich Texans on the slopes in the winter. A lot of people cannot afford the reason they move here...skiing, snowboarding, etc. So I would definitely say there is probably a honeymoon period and then everything is back to "normal".
A few Coloradans made less than polite comments about the move. One informed me that everyone in Texas is heavyset. This just isn't true. Several told my daughter that the housing here is very cheap and that we will be able to get a big house here. She intuited that there was a bit of a preemptive 'don't- get-a big-head thing going on' like they were saying, "Whatever house you end up in, it's only nice because it's so cheap down there in Texas and we all know that so don't get snooty about your new home." Those poor Denver people get so little for their money in housing. Crown moldings. Forget it. Trey ceilings. Nope. High ceilings. Nope. Pools, brick walls, wrought iron gate features...never happening. In Denver, you get carpeted bathrooms, low ceilings, and 1980's builder grade moldings if you are lucky. You get builder grade cabinets. You get tiny rooms. You get tiny yards and tiny driveways. Tiny garages. Many of the suburban homes prior to 2000 remind me of army issued homes....barrack like. Yet, they pay a premium for all of this. I'm not knocking the place, but I am tired of people snickering about our moving from Denver to Dallas. Plus, I like the people here a lot. They all say everything is a blessing and everything is an answer to prayer and they are really sweet people. The man in the grocery store the other day told me, "We appreciate you and you are a blessing to us. Thank you for your patience." Many of them are very sweet, gentle people here and while I may not 100% agree with all of their religious beliefs, I do agree with their core beliefs, and I can feel how their spiritual beliefs have permeated the vibe of this region. I gave a lady some of my moving boxes and she said it was an answer to prayer and that I was a blessing to her. Another person mentioned how things were a blessing. I'm all about practicing this kind of gratitude for things. These people here in Texas can be very kind and sweet. That's one of the things I am noticing.

My nephew went through the honeymoon period when he moved to Fort Collins from back East. He has done the outdoorsy, hippy thing for two years but is getting tired of working two low paying jobs and living with three roommates. Lately he has been going into the mountains less and less on the weekends and the traffic is starting to get to him as well as the cost of living.

Last edited by Chloe333; 06-19-2018 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 07:04 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
This is the rub that nobody's told you.

All Texans are super proud of Texas, its barbecue, history, etc...

However, Houstonians and in particular Dallasites don't really like their city. They moved there for a job and they really would like to be someplace else, usually some rural cabin in NE Texas or the Hill Country or what have you.

This is juxtaposed with Austin. People here LOVE IT and moved here because they WANT TO BE HERE. They are also Texas proud of BBQ, TexMex, and are just as Texan, but unlike Dallas and Houston, we actually prefer to be here OVER ANYPLACE in the USA, EVEN DENVER! When I meet Denver folks moving here, I'm like "I can totally understand why you'd move here. I hate that bone dry weather with nosebleeds and cracked skin. I hate the fact that the grass is brown 9 months of the year. I hate the fact that you have very limited things you can plant in your yard. Welcome to Texas, enjoy our great BBQ and our awesome Highland Lakes, which you can swim in 9 months of the year! "

Yes, Austin is superb and we don't have a self esteem complex like Houston and especially Dallas.

You'd think Houston would have it more than Dallas, but Houston fights the stereotypes the world lays on them. Dallas kind of accepts those stereotypes.

In the DFW area, Ft. Worth is the only part of the region where people are not only Texas proud but also Ft. Worth proud. They love the cowboy image and the stockyardish type culture.

This is the full rub. There's a secret self loathing in Dallas.

You're welcome.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

There's a secret self loathing in Dallas.
I don't get it. Are you saying they don't like the pretentious aspect of Dallas or something? Are you saying they don't think what Dallas has evolved into really represents who they feel like they are? They don't resonate with its vibe? This would be like people from NoCal loathing Los Angeles....possibly like people from Upstate NY loathing Manhattan.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I don't get it. Are you saying they don't like the pretentious aspect of Dallas or something? Are you saying they don't think what Dallas has evolved into really represents who they feel like they are? They don't resonate with its vibe? This would be like people from NoCal loathing Los Angeles....possibly like people from Upstate NY loathing Manhattan.
Traditionally Texas was a very rural state. The only large city was San Antonio. San Antonians were proud of their heritage. For the longest time, Galveston was the second largest city. BOI are very proud of Galveston.

Then Houston and Dallas grew gangbusters. Houston was populated mainly by folks from SE Texas and South Louisiana. The folks from SE Texas knew that Houston was better than what they came from and the folks from S. Louisiana just came for the jobs. Hence the "Bayou City" moniker.

Dallas was a lot different. A lot of folks from NE Texas, towns like Sherman, Tyler, etc... Ft. Worth was always a cowtown and they knew it but they liked it.

So the answer is yes, it's kind of like someone from Tahoe that was forced to move to LA and doesn't really like it there. They have a longing to go back to Tahoe. Or very similar to someone from upstate NY who was forced to move to NYC for opportunity.

Austin attracted a different breed of people though. They were hard core Texas folks that embraced the Texas culture and wanted to be in the center of it, and transplants with similar ideas.

This is the history of Texas and how it developed.

A similar example would be if someone from Boerne was forced to move to Midland for a job. Now imagine if Midland became as big as Dallas. This is what happened to Dallas.

This undercurrent is very strong in Dallas, almost non-existent in Ft. Worth, and half as strong in Houston. Austin has the opposite issue, we Austinites believe our city is the greatest in the world. San Antonians have pride too. Sometimes I feel like the dressing up in public, the obsessive/compulsive nature of Dallas is just to make up for what they lack. They want flashy cars and opt for tons of plastic surgery. It's a different vibe there.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:34 PM

95 posts, read 123,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
A few Coloradans made less than polite comments about the move. One informed me that everyone in Texas is heavyset. This just isn't true. Several told my daughter that the housing here is very cheap and that we will be able to get a big house here. She intuited that there was a bit of a preemptive 'don't- get-a big-head thing going on' like they were saying, "Whatever house you end up in, it's only nice because it's so cheap down there in Texas and we all know that so don't get snooty about your new home." Those poor Denver people get so little for their money in housing. Crown moldings. Forget it. Trey ceilings. Nope. High ceilings. Nope. Pools, brick walls, wrought iron gate features...never happening. In Denver, you get carpeted bathrooms, low ceilings, and 1980's builder grade moldings if you are lucky. You get builder grade cabinets. You get tiny rooms. You get tiny yards and tiny driveways. Tiny garages. Many of the suburban homes prior to 2000 remind me of army issued homes....barrack like. Yet, they pay a premium for all of this. I'm not knocking the place, but I am tired of people snickering about our moving from Denver to Dallas. Plus, I like the people here a lot. They all say everything is a blessing and everything is an answer to prayer and they are really sweet people. The man in the grocery store the other day told me, "We appreciate you and you are a blessing to us. Thank you for your patience." Many of them are very sweet, gentle people here and while I may not 100% agree with all of their religious beliefs, I do agree with their core beliefs, and I can feel how their spiritual beliefs have permeated the vibe of this region. I gave a lady some of my moving boxes and she said it was an answer to prayer and that I was a blessing to her. Another person mentioned how things were a blessing. I'm all about practicing this kind of gratitude for things. These people here in Texas can be very kind and sweet. That's one of the things I am noticing.

My nephew went through the honeymoon period when he moved to Fort Collins from back East. He has done the outdoorsy, hippy thing for two years but is getting tired of working two low paying jobs and living with three roommates. Lately he has been going into the mountains less and less on the weekends and the traffic is starting to get to him as well as the cost of living.

Yes!! I’ve gotten the same snarky comments about the COL and how “cheap” it is. I’m like actually it’s not, not if I want a great school district in suburbia. Then I let them know that the property taxes are damn near 3% not the 1% they all whine about here. And no, not having a state tax doesn’t make it a wash.

I’ve been to dallas a lot in the last few years. People are SO friendly. Like shockingly friendly. I’m not used to that. There is a lot of tude in Co.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailbaby View Post
I find it weird that Texas people are asking you that, then again I haven't moved there yet. I'm a native Coloradoan (well damn near) and it's so ignorant the comments I'm getting from people in Co about moving to TX. It's always "I would NEVER move to Texas and if I had to move I would only go to Austin". Just super arrogant. Nobody knows what they will or won't do until they are put in that situation. Oh, they also all think you can get a 5000 sq ft house for 5 bucks on 10 acres of land and JR Ewing is your neighbor. Seriously.

Moving is not ideal for me. My parents and siblings are in Co. I grew up in Boulder. I'm not thrilled about moving to humidity and no mountains and mosquitoes. I have to say people will move to Co for the lifestyle and then later figure out the job thing. I think the reverse of Dallas where people are most likely moving there for work. Co is very expensive. The outdoorsy lifestyle is very expensive. We get all the rich Texans on the slopes in the winter. A lot of people cannot afford the reason they move here...skiing, snowboarding, etc. So I would definitely say there is probably a honeymoon period and then everything is back to "normal".
You hit on the one thing I do not miss about Colorado..the people. Obviously you can't generalize/stereotype an entire state, but that combo of arrogance and ignorance is quite common there. The stereotype would be that Texans are more judgmental (due to the Christian element), but I find people in DFW to be the most open-minded and accepting of any place I have lived.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:

However, Houstonians and in particular Dallasites don't really like their city. They moved there for a job and they really would like to be someplace else, usually some rural cabin in NE Texas or the Hill Country or what have you.

This is juxtaposed with Austin. People here LOVE IT and moved here because they WANT TO BE HERE. They are also Texas proud of BBQ, TexMex, and are just as Texan, but unlike Dallas and Houston, we actually prefer to be here OVER ANYPLACE in the USA, EVEN DENVER! When I meet Denver folks moving here, I'm like "I can totally understand why you'd move here. I hate that bone dry weather with nosebleeds and cracked skin. I hate the fact that the grass is brown 9 months of the year. I hate the fact that you have very limited things you can plant in your yard. Welcome to Texas, enjoy our great BBQ and our awesome Highland Lakes, which you can swim in 9 months of the year! "

Yes, Austin is superb and we don't have a self esteem complex like Houston and especially Dallas.

You'd think Houston would have it more than Dallas, but Houston fights the stereotypes the world lays on them. Dallas kind of accepts those stereotypes.

In the DFW area, Ft. Worth is the only part of the region where people are not only Texas proud but also Ft. Worth proud. They love the cowboy image and the stockyardish type culture.

You're welcome.

This is an impressive collection of bs.

I lived in Austin before Dallas. I like them both quite a bit and your post has almost no connection to the reality I have observed living in both cities.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:

You're welcome.
That simply isn't true, lots of Dallasites are proud to be from here. They also tend to be less provincial and more worldly (Pretentious even?) and tend to have a more pragmatic approach to this sort of thing. Add to that that the city is full of pragmatic transplants who made the choice to come here. I don't mind talking about Dallas's faults because I care about it and want to be honest about the place.

Cosmopolitan Cities have the ability to self criticize. If anything Dallas needs more of that. Chicago, NYC, LA all have a pretty healthy feedback loop of common people and journalists who want to improve the place, not just a cheer leading civic leaders like Austin which would rather sweep issues under the rug and self promote.

I prefer Dallas to Austin. Actually, I prefer Houston to Austin too. While I would move to Denver if the opportunity opened up, I actually passed an opportunity to move to Austin.

I don't have a self esteem complex with Dallas, I love the city, I'm a fan of it's teams, I came here pragmatically and I love the city. I don't think I'll stay here forever, but I don't regret coming here one bit.

One of my best friends loves Austin, he goes to SXSW, Austin City Limits, and visits a few times a year. He also passed up an opportunity to move there because he got an quality good one in Dallas. I asked him why he didn't move because I know how much he loves Austin and he said "I just like Dallas better" Yeah, he was a transplant too.

I couldn't less of a %$#@ about being "Texan" I'm not. Sure, I enjoy the history of Texas (I've read a few books on it during my time here) and I really enjoy the state a lot, but I wouldn't call myself a real "Texan"

Maybe I'm some odd foster child of Texas during my late teens and in my 20s but I'm not really Texan.

I am a Dallasite though.

**(although to be fair, I currently live in Irving lol)

Old 06-19-2018, 09:34 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Traditionally Texas was a very rural state. The only large city was San Antonio. San Antonians were proud of their heritage. For the longest time, Galveston was the second largest city. BOI are very proud of Galveston.

Then Houston and Dallas grew gangbusters. Houston was populated mainly by folks from SE Texas and South Louisiana. The folks from SE Texas knew that Houston was better than what they came from and the folks from S. Louisiana just came for the jobs. Hence the "Bayou City" moniker.

Dallas was a lot different. A lot of folks from NE Texas, towns like Sherman, Tyler, etc... Ft. Worth was always a cowtown and they knew it but they liked it.

So the answer is yes, it's kind of like someone from Tahoe that was forced to move to LA and doesn't really like it there. They have a longing to go back to Tahoe. Or very similar to someone from upstate NY who was forced to move to NYC for opportunity.

Austin attracted a different breed of people though. They were hard core Texas folks that embraced the Texas culture and wanted to be in the center of it, and transplants with similar ideas.

This is the history of Texas and how it developed.

A similar example would be if someone from Boerne was forced to move to Midland for a job. Now imagine if Midland became as big as Dallas. This is what happened to Dallas.

This undercurrent is very strong in Dallas, almost non-existent in Ft. Worth, and half as strong in Houston. Austin has the opposite issue, we Austinites believe our city is the greatest in the world. San Antonians have pride too. Sometimes I feel like the dressing up in public, the obsessive/compulsive nature of Dallas is just to make up for what they lack. They want flashy cars and opt for tons of plastic surgery. It's a different vibe there.
Great story, too bad it's mostly just a bunch of facts taken in isolation and pieced together into a narrative that isn't really true.

Dude, historically the whole country has been rural. Thats true of all states at some point.

Are Dallas and Houston pretty recent to the top 5 or 10 city size list? Sure. Houston only joined the top 10 in the 1960 census but LA only broke top 10 in the 1930 census...

But Dallas has been the major city in the South West/ plains for a long time. The first sky scraper west of the Mississippi was built in Dallas. While Denver got a head start, Dallas just about caught up with Denver in size in the 1930s and they were similar in size until Dallas blew past it in the 60s.

Dallas actually passed San Antonio in the 1930s and has been larger ever since. San Antonio, proper, did pass Dallas in size in 2010. But at that point, DFW is about 3 times the size of Metro San Antonio.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:16 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Actually most of the population of Texas in the 19th Century was along the Gulf Coast. Galveston was the largest city, followed by the current ghost-town of Indianola, and San Antonio. The inland areas (such as the now I-35 corridor) were very rural and given the size of Texas, made it a predominantly rural state.

(Current joke is that most of the BOIs now live in The Woodlands.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas